Ro / Di

sjsheng

• SRC Member

i have problem now battle with nitrate...

hear that RO system is not cheap...

well any bro here know what is the gd solution to lower down nitrate level.. currently mine is 20ppm

beside adding AZNO3 what can i do to lower down my nitrate? what equipment...

i currently a student so have budget..

really appreciate if u can provide me for the above information.. thanks

• SRC Member
Do weekly water changes.RO or DI will not do you any good.If you have a DSB,the nitrate wont be a problem anymore.Meanwhile,water changes are your best bet.

water changes always makes the difference but you don't want to add anymore extra nutrients when you do that so the RO/DI rids your tapwater into miracle water! :D but if you can't afford such a unit then the next best thing is distilled water. ;) No matter how much you filter and let your fresh tap water sit , theres always going to be an algae bloom or diatoms going off in your tank. Just got my RO / DI unit and my headaches have finally left me :lol: it's worth the cost.

water changes always makes the difference but you don't want to add anymore extra nutrients when you do that so the RO/DI rids your tapwater into miracle water! :D but if you can't afford such a unit then the next best thing is distilled water. ;) No matter how much you filter and let your fresh tap water sit , theres always going to be an algae bloom or diatoms going off in your tank. Just got my RO / DI unit and my headaches have finally left me :lol: it's worth the cost.

Sry what is RO/Di unit ?? what does it help in? How does it looks like?

expensive??

• SRC Member

You can get one for about S$300-S$400 such as:

http://www.aquaticreefsystems.com/

Or even cheaper:

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=70548722&ssPageName=L2

Just happened to come across them. Not sure good or not. Search reefcentral.com for more comments. From what I heard, the important things about these is the membrance and filter used and almost all of them get from limited few suppliers. Thus the difference between different brand and make is the quality of the housing, service, support etc. For me it means don't have to pay high price.

• SRC Member
using this

valueline4stagesized.jpg

less water problem now  ;)

What brand is that by the way? Is the function just for RO alone thats why it's cheaper? RO is alot less expensive than RO/DI or DI alone. :D If the cost is just $300 or $400 alone then shipping charges would cost at least a $100 or more then. :D reefers would like to know once the resins and membranes are exhausted but these are opaque and is there any indication to find out? Clear canisters would be better for viewing. You will also need a flushkit to lengthen the life span of your resins otherwise it will be exhausted in no time. Does it come together. ;)

That's from Aquatic Reef Systems right <- yes, RO/DI 50GPD

Total cost with shipping slightly over $300. which i think is a very good buy. Came in a very big box. Saw one at KS, RO only n already $300. DI units can buy from P*t M**t for $75 or $95 cant remember, they call it tap water purifier

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

What brand is that by the way? Is the function just for RO alone thats why it's cheaper? RO is alot less expensive than RO/DI or DI alone. :D If the cost is just $300 or $400 alone then shipping charges would cost at least a $100 or more then. :D reefers would like to know once the resins and membranes are exhausted but these are opaque and is there any indication to find out? Clear canisters would be better for viewing. You will also need a flushkit to lengthen the life span of your resins otherwise it will be exhausted in no time. Does it come together. ;)

The way to find out if your membrane or filter needs any replacement is to buy a TDS meter - something like a probe which measure the DI water. It should be near zero reading if the reading shows a signicant number then you need to replace your filters, usu the membrane last longer about 2 -3 years.

It doesn't matter whether it is opaque or transparent - I doubt you could check via the container appearance :D

• SRC Member
but if you can't afford such a unit then the next best thing is distilled water. ;) No matter how much you filter and let your fresh tap water sit , theres always going to be an algae bloom or diatoms going off in your tank. Just got my RO / DI unit and my headaches have finally left me :lol: it's worth the cost.

Distilled water? Now I can "steal" some from my office's polar distilled water to topup my tank liao. :eyebrow: