brackish fish?

snailmale

do u guys keep brackish water fish in marine tank?

i used to hv a brackish tank, but closed down liao, tinking of adding some brackish fish once i get my marine tank up, is it feasible?

the brackish fish usually are v hardy, can take almost all salinities and big shifts also..

usually they dun do well as adults in FW, but i tink as adults in SW it will be v gd for them..

the brackish fish i kept were monos(monodactylus sebae and monodactylus argenteus) and archer fish, which i trained to spit at food i held in my fingers..

monos i tink might not be v reef safe, but archer fish should be quite safe, only eat v small fish, and mainly prefer insects and worms..

they are not really v pretty fish, but very fun!

Hmm i saw monos on display at UWW's tank and archers in their touch pool.

I guess they can be acclimatised to full strength marine water.

But when u wanna keep marines,u wld wanna keep those colourful fish rite.Its just my 2 cts,i noe diiferent ppl got differnet views.

yeah they r not v coulourful, but for example, archer fish stay at the top of the tank so they r not seen much when u on ur lights and etc, and are great fun cos u can train them to spit at food..

plus im not just keeping them, i will keep other fish as well, the regular reef fish..

oh, im not toking abt vivarium, that one is far too mah fan, even last time for my brackish tank i didnt hv that..

im toking abt playing with the fish, like hold food in ur hands and let them spit or jump..

its one of the few fish u can actually play with..

the setup im toking abt is ur standard marine tank with live rock, reef fish and some corals, but just add the archers in as well, they will stay at the surface of the tank, not really affecting ur picture perfect aquarium, yet when u r bored can play with them, if u get wad i mean..

meaning they r like just an add-on to the tank..

• SRC Member

Hihi snailmale

i hv a target fish that i m thinking of releasing back to the sea to reduce my bioload. I caught it during low tide when it was abt 2 cm long & dying in shallow pool of water, its now 2-3 inch long in a matter of 6 mths... wud u be interested to keep it (if i can catch it without harming it). Doesnt harrass anything in my reef tank, lps, tubeworms, shrimps all safe still... & eats anything that i throw into tank. please pm me if you are interested or if anyone else in keen to keep it. Otherwise i'll just release it back into the sea

http://www.hypervision.com.au/aquarium/top...kish/target.htm

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :