Need advise

Jenson

• SRC Member

I would like to set up a tank of 10 gallon.

However this would be done with a initially 20 gallon tank.

This is what I've planned.

1. fill the bottom of the tank with Fine grade sand

2. Results in a DEEP SAND BED (Controversial?)

3. The remaining space would be able to hold 10 gal of water

4. I understand that salt water shld be filled into the tank before sand addition such that the salinity of the liquid in the DEEP SAND BED is uniform and similar to tank conditions.

Now here's the QNS:

What benfits/cons are there for setting up a DEEP SAND BAD(6 inches at least)

Is it sustainable for long period of time.(Sudden crash?!)

I've read in GARF website of it's "Bullet-Proof reef" utilising a deep sand bed and a plenum.

What is the difference between a DEEP SAND BED and PLENUM for NNR?

Would the pressure exerted by SOLID sand be greater then that of previously SALT water?

Many thnx to all those.

Would post a photo of my tank after receiving my 'O's result in 2006. :angel:

• SRC Member

One more question. :lol:

What kind of Hang-On-Back filter would u reccoemmend?

My impression of HOB filter is inefficient junks :lol:

However had seen some tanks beautifully maintained with HOB filters.

What kind of brand/model of HOB would the pros here reccommend?

I know many don't use HOB :angry:

Please do give me some suggestions on HOB brand/efficiency.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

• SRC Member

just sharing a few opinions..hope no offence is taken...

Setups using DSBs, Plenums and Barebottoms have constantly been placed in competition with each other as to which is the best setup. However, beautiful tanks have been setup with each and every kind of system and that also includes the controversial Undergravel Filter.

Since you've chosen DSB, there will be a few things i'd like to share from what i've read. There are those who believe that doesn't mean the thicker the sandbed the more beneficial since after a long while, compaction takes place and the lower portion basically becomes a slab of sand. Also there are people who say that once they remove their DSBs their nitrate levels got lower BUT there are others who have been able to get their nitrate levels down too with a DSB.

Would suggest reading some of blueheaven's articles on sandbeds, he has posted quite insightful writeups from what he has read. Go search the forums dude, surely you'll find quite a few articles on choice of setup :)

As for HOB, they are convenient but not as efficient as other forms of filtration like overflow systems and canisters but can still do a decent job when you conduct proper maintenance.

I personally would recommend Eheim Liberty for HOBs, used them before and when it's Eheim, reliability comes with it.

However if you like convenience,I think there's a Jebo HOB with protein skimmer attached,not sure how it works but some have used it to not bad and effect.

Cheerz and do read intensively and plan your budget coz if not, it's gonna be one upgrade after another==>$$$