Vortex Diatom Filter

SoTongBall

• SRC Member

got hold of this filter couple of weeks ago, finally got myself to set it up last weekend. For those who want to know more about diatom and how it work may click on website diatom

Setup

fixing up the parts is easy, build quality is of decent american standards. Instruction manual is kinda disappointment, does not have clear pictures to aid the long and confussing instructions. Need a few attempts to figure out how to get this filter to work. Once understood, it is rather easy, but not as straightforward as compared to cannister filter. Need to charge it up with diatom powder before it can resume the filtering process.

Operations

this filter consist of 4 main parts, filter bag, diatom powder, cannister and pump. The unique feature of this filter is the usage of diatom powder to filter the water, not the filter bag. During the recharge process, the diatom powder will coat itself on the exterior of the filter bag, effectively forcing the water through many thousands of diatom skeletons. This is why it is so effective in filtering out microscopic parasites and algae. Diseases such as ich, velvet, fin rot, fungus, flukes, fish lice etc that are larger than 1 micron in size can be easily trapped by the filter.

Performance

the high speed pump is rather quiet but will get very hot. This filter is not design to run 24hrs, as and when requried to polish the water, about 4-6hrs per session.

I'm very please with the result, giving me super clear water as if my fishes are floating in mid air. ;)

post-14-1134145748.jpg

• SRC Member
no regret, good toy ;)

Was so addicted to the super clear water that I on it almost every night for 2 hrs :P

Did notice less skimate after using, hmmm... where has it gone... :rolleyes:

Filtered by the Diatom powder. :lol:

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.