Live vs Frozen Brine Shrimps

generally live brine shrimp is fresh and i think that is about all.

however it transmit parasite like marine ich more readily .

processed frozen brine is vitamine enhanced and de-parasite i think.

i prefer frozen brine as it is easier to handle .

:peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

:pirate: Eeee ....

Didn't know they can tx ich wan....

Lucky i give frozen loh.

Actually wanted to treat them to

live food to see them in action.

So in reply to Mr. Colin Soon question.

There are no benefits to treating LS w/

live brine shrimps.

:heh: Reminds me of when i used to keep

sea monkeys as a kid.

• SRC Member

haha thanx guys for the warning.. wanted to get some to see some live feeding in action... but think better not.. cos if put live stuff more fun... i think..

anyway got a question to ask u guys, my royal dottyback, looks slightly transparent, and now i realised on 1 side of its body, got small patches of more transparent surfaces.. izzt white spot? if it is wat do i do??>?

Hey bro dun think its white spot if u mentioned 'transparent' patches. Transparent as in no colouration?

Is it sth like this http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43120 ?

IMO royal dottyback quite a hardy fish leh...if its eating and has no swimming problems or fin imperfection, then it shd be fine.

However in the case of white spot, u can use chloramin T. ;)

Haha hatching brine shrimp brings back the old memories of sea monkeys :D:D

Brine shrimp eggs are btw much much more exp. than the frozen packets...right bro bloodlamb?

:off: Haha anyway saw that today ur birthday from the src front page...haha so HappyBirthday! :D

Useful Itch Post - http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...opic=39445&st=0

• SRC Member

icic... thanx bros for helping me out!!!

anyway, me and my fren were like thinking of keeping brine shrimps in a separate tank, den slowly feed them to our fishes... but dunno how long they can survive... and btw, how much and where can i get brine shrimp eggs? are they very difficult to hatch???

• SRC Member

yoz bro, sorri huh hijack your thread a while...talkin abt hatchin brine shrimps..can any bros share wat type of special conditions to hatch em?? special rocks??cooler water temp?? advance thanks to those out there who will be helping first!!

yoz bro, sorri huh hijack your thread a while...talkin abt hatchin brine shrimps..can any bros share wat type of special conditions to hatch em?? special rocks??cooler water temp?? advance thanks to those out there who will be helping first!!

haha... actually no special conditions .

if i am not wrong,

just put the eggs into one bottle of saltwater from ur tank and air pumped it .

it will hatched pretty fast i think.

but i lazy lah :peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Hmmm.. the only use of feeding brine shrimps to fishes is for those fishes who simply refuse to eat anything else.. and they are only used as a temporary measure before the fish starts to accept alternative, more nutritious foods.

This is because brine shrimps, whether live or frozen, are very very poor in nutrients... and definitely should not be the permanent diet of the fish.

• SRC Member
thanks bro cornyfish... in tis case..wat will be the type of main food?? pellets??

Well it depends alot on the type of fish, but try to provide a variety.

I feed my fishes pellets, flakes as well as frozen seafood (the type we eat). Seafoodwise, i alternate between fish and tiger-prawn, and occasionally for large carnivorous fishes like triggerfishes, squid too. Of course, must tear the meat into tiny pieces, depending on the size of the fish. Can mix everything together and blend into a paste to feed the fishes too, though i've never tried that before.

Certain fishes like tangs and angelfishes need veggies in their diet as well. What i normally do is to leave a whole caixin or lettuce leaf, tied to a small piece of rock, at the bottom of the tank. My yellow tang and emperor angel will then nibble constantly at the leaf, till at the end of the day, there'll only be the stalk left. :P

Even then, this leafy diet should also be supplemented with small quantities of seafood every alternate day.

Hope the above helps! :P

Lots cheaper than feeding brine shrimp too, since everything is taken from the food we eat.

• SRC Member
haha...thanks bro :thanks: ...hrm...my knowledge when up alot!! :yeah: ..hrm...will do more research on wat to feed my guys...hrm..but an'nt trigger fishes nt reef safe??

Yup, you're right... trigger fishes should be kept in a FOWLR tank, w/o invertebrates like shrimps or crabs. Well, i have 3 marine tanks at home.. :P