Algae

kee

• SRC Member
my tank got something like brownish alage growing wat is that?? can i remove it without shifting my things?

is it growing very fast? maybe you have switch on your light for too long... last time when i first started... my tank suddenly got sabo by lots of brownish algae... even on the sandbed... then i switch to my atinic light and it reduce a lot... maybe u can even reduce the timing of the lights...

• SRC Member
i tink its turbo snail. i got alot things haha i would like to ask u abt the time for the lighting to be on and off. i am using only FL 3 tube 2 white one blue.

hmmm.. hehe.. my turbo snail reproduced in my tank.. see a number of baby snail...... i set the timer for the light to on at 0700 ( full light 50/50, atinic and 10000k T8 lights ) .... then switch off at 2000

but since i need to book in to camp every morning quite early.. i switch on the light

at 0630 with atinic... then when i am going out.. then i change to full lighting...

at 1900 i switch back to atinic light... then switch it off at 2000...

Same thing happening to my tank!! :cry: my turbo snail died the very next day I put in my tank. My nitrate is very high. I have tried changing water and cut down on my lighting but still show no sign of improvment.

Wat should I do?? Some advise please..

• SRC Member
Same thing happening to my tank!! :cry: my turbo snail died the very next day I put in my tank. My nitrate is very high. I have tried changing water and cut down on my lighting but still show no sign of improvment.

Wat should I do?? Some advise please..

do u act noe how to put in ur snail?

the technique is to let it stick on the glass at the surface of the water n it will crawl into the water by itself when it's ready :)

• SRC Member
i got the same problem. i figured that i will be enjoying the view in the night more. so i switch mine on from 1530 to 2230.

It reduces alot.

To push it further, i added some algae killing chem... and that helps even further.

algae killing chem????

• SRC Member

I am using Tetra Nitrate remover (white pellets) in my tank. Added the suggested dosage and followed closely to the instructions. NO3 level was 25mg/l (ppm). That was three weeks ago. I avoided water changes during that period to observe the effectiveness of the pellets. The NO3 level went up to 50mg/l at the end of the second week and it is now close to 100mg/l (end of third week)... did you have good results with the pellets?? or is it too early to tell?

Usually I do weekly water changes (20%) to keep NO3 levels at < 25mg/l measured using tetratest NO3 kit.

I think the most natural and effective way that I had tried to reduce algae formation is to introduce turbo snails and to control both feeding freq. and lighting duration.

do u act noe how to put in ur snail?

the technique is to let it stick on the glass at the surface of the water n it will crawl into the water by itself when it's ready :)

:blink: Gee I nv really tot abt that. The lfs din really told me wat to do.. I'll try to get a snail and do it rite this time. Plus Nitrate remover. IF all fails, I think I'll juz have to restart all over again.. :(