purple queen anthias

colinsoon

• SRC Member

how tough are they to keep? cos i juz got a few today, and they are looking very healthy... but it seems that they are a very tough bunch to keep. i am suddenly suffering from a lack of confidence to keep them... any thing to comment or share bout them? any success stories?

• SRC Member

They are one of the most difficult anthais around. Most of the time refuse to feed. Tried almost everything but in vain. Read somewhere that numbers in the school greatly improve the chance of surviving.

I stay away from them after trying twice. Non of them feeds.

• SRC Member

i hv a male n 2 females... feeding them on live brine shrimps ... the impt thing is getting them to feed.. once thats accomplished, then the rest is easier

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

That's the trouble with purple queens and some other anthias - they go into hiding for safety when first introduced into the tank.

Since they do not swim around it's a problem getting them to feed. How about trying to find out roughly where they are hiding and then use a target feeder to squirt some cyclopeezes around that area. Hopefully, they will take some cyclopeezes to keep them alive long enough to get use to their new environment and start swimming around to look for more food. Otherwise, their bodies will waste away and slowly die of starvation.

Form experience and close observation, anthias seem to prefer mysis shrimps to brine shrimps. Of course cyclopeezes and all fishes' favourite but the trouble is that they are too small for the fishes to fill their stomach. Anthias, because they love swimming around in fast moving water, they expend more energy and therefore need to be fed more frequently each day.

• SRC Member

the anthias in my tank are swimming around, though the spend 90% of their time in hiding. its just that whenever they are out, i try to feed them, but then, when i get everything prepared, they are already back into hidding....

• SRC Member

i pour phyto & Seachem's entice into pail containing live brine shrimps. After abt 4-5 days of trying, my purple anthias started eating... hvg greedy tank mates helps i guess as i hv yt, common clowns, tomato clown, mandarn, target fish, purple patch anthia n a few damsels n they always rush whenever anyone goes near tank.. goes crazy when food is thrown in... even when one of them excrete, the rest will rush n gobble haha..

Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

now the 3 purple queens oso join in the rush but a bit more clever as they dont gobble sh*t haha

Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :