What is the correct salinty level?

d88p

• SRC Member

hi bro d88p.... don knw i m right or not.........

but somethings is pretty common sense.......

does not mean u add now then u measure later ma.....

at least let the salt properly dissolve n mix b4 u measure right ?

tell u wat, wen i jus started i did this too.... end up the salinity level shoot way over....(which is only after half a day later wen i measure it again) <_<

so let it run for a longer time......b4 measuring again ba... :)

the word is "patient" "patient" "patient". ;)

jus my 1 n the half cent....... :lol:

• SRC Member
wah, how big is your tank, 5 bottles is too much to add at one go, salinity changes too much, maybe you could add bit by bit everyday to help maintain a more or less stable salinity

3ft by 2ft by 2ft .... got no chiller maybe thats why it evaporates so quickly

• SRC Member

try to monitor your evaporation everyday, and add in the freshwater on a regular basis, i believe your corals will benefit more from the stability

if possible, get a automatic top off device, i do not have one, but if i had the money, would love to

btw, copepod is a insect like marine crustacean, in SRC, simply means you have reached a new level of posting

i was a copepod before

*remembers the good old days* :lol:

• SRC Member
too low would mean hyposalinity... which is good for 5 -10 mins to cure itch. any longer and your fishes would dye...

Not necessarily true... most fishes can tolerate an S.G. of 1.009 (or even lower) without any ill effects at all for long periods of time. This forms the basis of hyposalinity treatment as a cure for ich... 1.009 for 6 weeks or more.

If they die its probably because they have not been acclimated to the low salinity well enough (should drop the S.G. from 1.023 to 1.009 over 2 days).

On the other hand, any inverts will probably be killed by the low salinity although this again may not be necessarily true.. I found a crab crawling out of a live rock after 4 weeks at 1.009.. :D