How much heat will i get?

I have a 5x2x2 tank coming so0n.

equipments are all in place. but the amount of heat they might generate scares me.

I have for lighting:

An MH fixture : ( 1x 20k 250w ) + ( 2x VHO/HO 30w actinics )

4 x AquaZ T5 54w actinics and whites

No powerheads in the tank cos im using closed loop external pump

In the sump I will have:

1 powerhead fro Weipro 200g skimmer

1 internal pump for sump return

1 x T5 fixture (2 x 30w)

And for chiller i have a Resun CL650

------------------------------------------------

the big question is:

Do I need to install a fan fixture on my hood (a 4-fan fixture) to dissipate the heat from the MH or should i not worry?

• SRC Member

wa another big tank in the making, same size as mine somemore, welcome!

for fan in the hood, need to know if your hood is open at the top, or issit an inwall unit. if its an inwall unit with totally no room for ventilation i would suggest getting fan for ventilation. if yours like like mine the top of the hood has big gaps for ventilation then not really necessary for ventilation fans

bro imo 20kk lights par is not good. 14kk better. and i'm afraid 1x250W mh is not going to light up your tank evenly, the spread is prob about 2+ft only.

if its the viewing pleasure u r worried about u shouldn't be too concerned since u haf actinic installations

thanks bro

i've got a spare arcadia MH 14kk so will change the bulb then.

my hood is open top so lets just see how much juice will my tank squeeze frm the chiller.

i do realise my MH will be centred, just becos im dividing the viewing front into three parts, the centre for moderate-high light corals and derasas while the corners for colony islands i wanna make, like a xenia colony and a mushroom colony

btw, my 4 T5s will have parabolic reflectors to cover every inch of the tank and i tried the MH it spreads to 3' and fades out at 4'.

i do feel like getting a twin MH fixture, but the heat concerns me much. the temp here in brunei reachers 36 C!

thanks for the help bro! and wud love to hear from other reefers for any input on my setup :)

• SRC Member
i knoe bigger is better but the biggest i cud find is a CL650.

unless some sg supplier can send me one from there as cheap as SD$400?

SO u r from Brunei! :)

As far as I know, all the bigger chiller cost at least $1000, with a budget of $400, really very tight.

However, if CL650 cannot cool down ur tank or take very long time to cool down, wat's the point of buying it as it useless or the electricity cost will be very very high. :D

It's better to invest in a good equipment for a long term basis. B)

• SRC Member

a bigger chiller would be resun c0500

1/2hp

my cl650 serving me well

cooling my tank and keeping temperature there at 28degrees.

i think it take 30-45mins to chill my tank. i do beleive my tank has got way more heat that yours bro so if i can use it, i think u can too

my system has got about 500w light and 380w worth of pumps.

but if u wanna keep the temperature lower then i'm afraid u should look at a bigger chiller instead

SO u r from Brunei! :)

As far as I know, all the bigger chiller cost at least $1000, with a budget of $400, really very tight.

However, if CL650 cannot cool down ur tank or take very long time to cool down, wat's the point of buying it as it useless or the electricity cost will be very very high. :D

It's better to invest in a good equipment for a long term basis. B)

a $1000? whoopa!

seeing tht we have the same currency rate is beter to reason here

i can get a CL650 for $380 the cheapest down here. i wud love to grab a bigger chiller for a few additional $100s but they just dont supply them here.

i do think that with my setup of around 526w overall w/o any Powerheads in the tank (closed loop system) might be okay with a CL650. no?

• SRC Member
a $1000? whoopa!

seeing tht we have the same currency rate is beter to reason here

i can get a CL650 for $380 the cheapest down here. i wud love to grab a bigger chiller for a few additional $100s but they just dont supply them here.

i do think that with my setup of around 526w overall w/o any Powerheads in the tank (closed loop system) might be okay with a CL650. no?

If u only Keep LPS, CL650 should be ok, but if u r going into SPS later, I worried it may overwork the chiller if u want to go down to lower temp.

:)

• SRC Member

If u only Keep LPS, CL650 should be ok, but if u r going into SPS later, I worried it may overwork the chiller if u want to go down to lower temp.

hey bro just check with u for sps temp is ok at 28 rite?

if so then cl650 is ok

if like 27 then i think it might overwork

Could you share where to get such a good deal for the Resun CL650 for $380/- (brand new right).

I am thinking of getting a chiller.

The fan does not seem to do enough and am losing water very fast daily.

Reliance