Venturi Skimmer

brittlestars

• SRC Member

Hi, my venturi skimmer (old model, given to me) is not producing bubbles that are small enough. I'm trying to use blu-tak to cover the air-hose (to make small air-intake adjustments) but this method is not working well.

Can someone show me more effective ways to make the bubbles smaller?

Thanks in advance! :D

• SRC Member
Hi, my venturi skimmer (old model, given to me) is not producing bubbles that are small enough. I'm trying to use blu-tak to cover the air-hose (to make small air-intake adjustments) but this method is not working well.

Can someone show me more effective ways to make the bubbles smaller?

Thanks in advance! :D

I'm pretty sure controlling air intake will not make bubbles small. If you really want to do so just get those small plastic valve. Easily available in any LFS. Those used for DIY drip.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

I'm pretty sure controlling air intake will not make bubbles small. If you really want to do so just get those small plastic valve. Easily available in any LFS. Those used for DIY drip.

I did try those plastic air valve but it also didn't work too well. A friend told me to get a more powerful pump instead.

How a more powerful pump create smaller bubbles?

• SRC Member

hihi i m using the berlin classic venturi skimmer... i find that controlling the air intake does not really control the bubble size.... try n use a more powerful pump n overdrive the unit... gives very gd results but dont expect it to be like needlewheel or beckette type of std lah

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
hihi i m using the berlin classic venturi skimmer... i find that controlling the air intake does not really control the bubble size.... try n use a more powerful pump n overdrive the unit... gives very gd results but dont expect it to be like needlewheel or beckette type of std lah

I see. I guess a bigger pump is my next option.

Btw, any idea which pump (+/- 300GPH range) is able to run externally outside tank to my skimmer? Currently, my pump is in tank. My set-up is hang on skimmer + hang on filter.

Wanna reduce some temp for my tank.

Thanks! :D

make smaller bubbles By feed ..little Air in to inlet off pump

but reduce Flow rate / head ..... u can try modify pump like needlewheel

...(for low flow/head loss)

*needlewheel style -nice to make- small bubbles*

• SRC Member
make smaller bubbles By feed ..little Air in to inlet off pump

but reduce Flow rate / head ..... u can try modify pump like needlewheel

...(for low flow/head loss)

*needlewheel style -nice to make- small bubbles*

Hi and thanks for the tip. Could you show me how do I modify my existing pump to needle-wheel?

Thanks in advance!