Jervis' Full Time Job

jervismun

woAH thats alot of foam ..

I know... don't you guys think the amount of bubbles/foam too exaggerated? :shock:

As pointed out by bro Cherm... it could be the addition of bacteria that produces such an extraordinarily huge amount of bubbles... :nc:

post-34-1158656330.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Hi bro Stabilo

Yes, the AquaMedic Biobacter do not need external food source as it comes with Bacter tabs, however, I also have a large amount of shell bed to conquer and Live Aragonite to feed... I figure the addition of some small shrimps will not do the tank any harm. The last thing I want is for those billions of bacteria came with the Live Aragonite to starve to death :erm:

I just ran the skimmer for testing only, not really trying to collect any waste as there isn't much to skim anyway. Just to kick-in the unit at this initial stage, therefore not putting in the collection cup.

Well... if you are not using matured LR, LS and some existing tank water... spikes in ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are expected as part of the Nitrogen Cycle... unless your tank was not cycled properly at the initial stage hence the nitrate problem you encounter 4 months later :unsure:

I used matured LR from day 1. The LFS told me from day 1 to watch out for NO3 from the 3rd month onwards, or earlier if I do heavy stocking.

As correctly predicted by the LFS, the NO3 started to shoot up in the 4th month (Actually, was guilty :paiseh: for not monitoring NO3 as told my LFS :P ). But becos I used AM's Cerapore in my cannister, the NO3 bacteria started to grow due to the NO3 spike. I did 50% water change in 2 weeks and constantly 20% for another 2 weeks, and finally the NO3 dissappeared quite quicky as it came! :whistle But of course there were some casualties :cry:

However, eversince then, me NO3, 0 all the way! :P

I think NO3 will come eventually, unless, there is a form of mechanical filter that will help cultivate NO3 bacteria (i.e. AM's Nitrate Reductor) were one have to constantly feed the NO3 bacteria (deniballs or denimar powder).

As for me, I kick start my NO3 bacteria growth by nitrate itself :lol::P

I think most importantly is NOT to instruct reefers what to do... let them discover themselves... as there are not definite RIGHTs and WRONGs in this hobby :)

Bro Stabilo... as mentioned before... there are always more than 1 ways to tackle a problem... seems like you have taken a slightly different route but more importantly is... we do arrive there... one way or another :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Bro Stabilo... as mentioned before... there are always more than 1 ways to tackle a problem... seems like you have taken a slightly different route but more importantly is... we do arrive there... one way or another :)

:lol: Yah yah!!! Agreed!

Bro, all the best to ur new setup!! I am sure it will be :ooh::lol::lol::P

bubbles little say little. bubbles a lot say too exaggerated. hahaha.. you headache la...

I know... we are all hard to pleased :lol:

Here's a short update... my shrimps are changing colour :sick: But both Ammonia and Nitrite still very low :nc:

post-34-1158726552.jpg

colour look nice haha :P

Yeah... the same colour as Purple Queen :lol:

bro, who is you tank maker? and also what those prawn for?

Hi Jess

Go through my list of equipments below... and tell me who you think my tank maker is... :lol::lol::lol:

Those shrimps are to create a mess in the tank :lol: I need to spike the Ammonia a little so that my bacterias will not starve to death... this is initial part of the Nitrogen Cycle... putting in shrimp is just one of the methods... do read a bit more on Nitrogen Cycle before going down to Cold Storage and buy yourself 1kg of Tiger Prawn :shock::eyebrow::P

Activated the Flushing System... can see a small crater is bring created right beneath the Flushing System... but nothing to worry about... :)

post-34-1158729513.jpg

1kg tiger prawn?????? i put 1 cut up pcs oso so smelly oredi. Imagine 1 kg!!!! Someone in office u wanna chase away? Employ me after that can? Lol

Nah... I got this little guy to help me MASK the smell :sick:

post-34-1158734672.jpg

please do not wait till that shrimp fully decompose. you can remove it after 2-3 days, watever is left of it.

else you can cycle till the cows come home...

Thanks bro... yeah I think I will remove the rotting shrimps tomorrow since the LR will come in tomorrow... they are turning MAGENTA now... the entire shrimp covered in MAGENTA :sick::sick::sick: I wonder how it smells...

Hi Jess

Go through my list of equipments below... and tell me who you think my tank maker is... :lol::lol::lol:

Those shrimps are to create a mess in the tank :lol: I need to spike the Ammonia a little so that my bacterias will not starve to death... this is initial part of the Nitrogen Cycle... putting in shrimp is just one of the methods... do read a bit more on Nitrogen Cycle before going down to Cold Storage and buy yourself 1kg of Tiger Prawn :shock::eyebrow::P

pai say la :paiseh:

aquamarin also

Here's one of the 3 overflow outlet... the filter floss is already working hard :P

post-34-1158763486.jpg

i think the gushing sound is quite loud rite, judging from the looks of the water flowing out...

can soften the water flow by adding a very short piece of pipe at both ends.

juz a little cent of thought..

Yes... the sound is quite audible... Steve and Thomas will help me fix the problem temporarily as I decide on a larger return pump... seriously 6500 litres/h ain't that impressive ;)

• SRC Member

Yes... the sound is quite audible... Steve and Thomas will help me fix the problem temporarily as I decide on a larger return pump... seriously 6500 litres/h ain't that impressive ;)

then you gonna have a waterfall in your sump, which sounds like the waterfall flowing through a choked pipe. better get it resolved soon. it almost drove me nuts.

then you gonna have a waterfall in your sump, which sounds like the waterfall flowing through a choked pipe. better get it resolved soon. it almost drove me nuts.

Yeah bro... will get it rectified soon... I am seriously considering replacing the RD with 2 Aquabee, an Aquabee 7000 for return, an Aquabee 2000i for Flushing System.

Must decide quickly as the SPEZIAL offer price by AM is way too tempting to resist :lol:

Here's a look at some piping works... left for Flushing System, right for main return :)

post-34-1158816901.jpg

Now how disgusting this can be... :sick:

post-34-1158817045.jpg