Mini X-reef Skimmers

southpaw23

• SRC Member

Hi guys and gals,

Don't quite have experience with these skimmers but it looks very promising.

It's using the same pump as an APF600, minus deltec's needlewheel technology probably but still an effective needlewheel i would suspect. Plus the 6 inch chamber is 27 inches in height and looks to be effective as far as reaction time is concerned.

Don't get me wrong..am not paid to promote it or anything...wondering what ya'lls thoughts are? I find that ppl are too hung up on branding....wondering why this wouldn't perform as well if not better than a deltec....after all, a skimmer merely consist of a chamber with an input that's effective at producing fine bubbles and good bubble density. So to say the deltec is better than this, it would mean that their needlewheel is that much more superior...how does one measure that? :huh: can't quite measure bubble density and size....dunno...feedback? :)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

I am not a strong supporter of Deltec but I personally think you should focus more on the product instead of comparing it directly to a Deltec APF600. Would appreciate if you could at least show us some pictures also :bow:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

The reason for the comparison is simply cos the specs and build is very similar and knowing that ppl like u tend to be more "inclined" toward branded item, i wanted to see how one ascertain if a particular skimmer is better than another and justifies the bigger price tag. (lets limit this discusion to purely performance and not the whole support for parts deal cos from the look of it...the parts shouldn't be an issue)

Right now, between the two, the main difference is in the needlewheel impeller (in favour of deltec) and the reaction chamber (in favor of X-reef i think). Is the deltec needlewheel really that much more superior and worth the extra 250-300 bucks?

Personally...i don't know...which is why i'm posing the question :)

ps. Yes...very odd how this thread suddenly reappeared

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Mini X-Reef specs

Chamber Dimension: 6" x 27"

Footprint: 9" x 13"

Capacity: 1000 liters tank.

Powered by: Aquabee Neddle Wheel @38 watt

Now with all the info....any feedback? :)

southpaw23's reef

So this skimmer is only selling at $400? Emm... looks pretty good for that kinda price especially with the Aquabee pump. Can show us how the impeller looks like?

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
So this skimmer is only selling at $400? Emm... looks pretty good for that kinda price especially with the Aquabee pump. Can show us how the impeller looks like?

It's not 400....doesn't the APF600 cost about 860? I believe this unit is going for 600. :P

As for the impeller...sorry...am not the manufacturer...and don't actually own one (which is why i'm posing it to you guys on the forum)...u'll have to ask X-reef themselves about the impeller...but from what i understand from them, they purchase the aquabee needlewheel pumps from europe i think.

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member
show us the impressive bubble...size

hey zorden, as i don't own one...i don't have actual pictures of this unit's bubble size but here's a link to Reborns thread and they have pictures of their larger sized skimmers, i believe bubble size should be consistent with those larger models as the pumps used are the same....either Eheim, Aquabee or Sendra needlewheels...

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43945

southpaw23's reef

It's not 400....doesn't the APF600 cost about 860? I believe this unit is going for 600. :P

As for the impeller...sorry...am not the manufacturer...and don't actually own one (which is why i'm posing it to you guys on the forum)...u'll have to ask X-reef themselves about the impeller...but from what i understand from them, they purchase the aquabee needlewheel pumps from europe i think.

$860 for the APF600 is the recommended retail price only :lol: Emm... $600 is a pretty reasonable price for a skimmer running an Aquabee :)

Oh it's ok, if this skimmer is running on the Aquabee skimmer pump, I more or less know how the impeller looks like. From what I heard, some LFS already started selling the Aquabee NW pumps... no need from Europe :lol:

• SRC Member

$860 for the APF600 is the recommended retail price only :lol: Emm... $600 is a pretty reasonable price for a skimmer running an Aquabee :)

Oh it's ok, if this skimmer is running on the Aquabee skimmer pump, I more or less know how the impeller looks like. From what I heard, some LFS already started selling the Aquabee NW pumps... no need from Europe :lol:

600 is also only the recommended retail price... :P

:lol::lol:

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

And ur still not answering the main question...what makes deltec that much better? And please don't give ur famous electricity consumption arguement...i'm talkin about performance...

besides...i don't think the pump on the APF600 is rated at 7 watts...the specs states 21 watts....so to me 17 watts is negligeable..

southpaw23's reef

And ur still not answering the main question...what makes deltec that much better?

Is this question targetted to me?

Well... I can't really answer you as I do not have the relevant real-life experience with a Deltec APF600. But personally, I still believe that the design of the chamber makes the difference too. So Brand X and Brand Y using the same pump but different body will perform differently.

From what I can see here is... APF600 is tested, this Mini X-Reef has yet to be.

Perhaps a kind reefer (or the manufacturer) puts it to test... and a product review please :D Some photographs will also speak a lot :)

Regardless... whether or not the Mini X-Reef performs better than the APF600, with a price range of $500 - $600... it does offer a lot of budget reefers another alternative... which is beneficial to the hobby as a whole :P

• SRC Member
Is this question targetted to me?

No...it shouldn't be targetted at you...just that you were the main one responding the last few threads... :P

southpaw23's reef

How about putting both of them within a system? :lol: Sorta like FACE-OFF!!!