A 6feet tank desperate for help!

A320

thanks TntR2......

Got the hole drilled originally.....however it was drilled too low into the water level. That meant excess water flowing into the sump. Had to raise it high enuh for that not to happen....

But that check valve is a fantastic idea.......i might try get one......

Can you just attach that anywhere on the return line?

i guess it would be best to attach it as the last item on the return line..

else if there's a tee off between the checkvalve and the return outlet then it defeats the purpose... water would still be siphoned through the other outlet...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess it would be best to attach it as the last item on the return line..

else if there's a tee off between the checkvalve and the return outlet then it defeats the purpose... water would still be siphoned through the other outlet...

hahaha.......good point TntR2.

Thanks man.

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

1. Remove coral chips and ceramic rings and replace with live rocks. removed...looking for live rocks now

2. get rid of most of the filter cloth

3. First Buy!!! Skimz FR with Sorb4 and eheim pump

4. Re-doing the sump.....I~aquatic doing up the plans.

5. Lighting MH+T5 or T5 only? how many?

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

8. check valve on the return line to prevent sump overflow (great idea)

9. Refugium? Anything to replace it? a FR of some sort maybe?

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

3x False Percula Clownfish

bro... u might wanna becareful with your electrical cables... it seems to be in a dangerous position..

Yup....will do. Got some tape to hold it in place. Was hoping on getting a light fixture soon so i can rearrange all the cables.

How do you conceal your wiring?

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

1. Remove coral chips and ceramic rings and replace with live rocks. removed...looking for live rocks now

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

You got good coralline growth on your rock but also looks like you have cyano problem.

cyano....oh ok. Will the Rowaphos or Carbon Rowaphos get rid of it? Not sure if its clear in the foto, but its like a seaweed type algae. Reddish Brown in colour and seems to grow mainly on the sunlight facing side of the tank?

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

the black thing on the rock can be scrape off i believe ...

anyway ... u might wanna consider T5 .. the more powerful kinda flourecent lighting for ur tank .

how about a better wava maker ?? totally essential for big taank like urs .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Btw, my chiller just went bust the other day. Being a FOWLR tank at the moment, should a tank be on top of the list of things to get now? or can i wait till i sort out the other stuff?

Will a 1/2hp chiller do? Or do i need a 1hp chiller?

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

the black thing on the rock can be scrape off i believe ...

anyway ... u might wanna consider T5 .. the more powerful kinda flourecent lighting for ur tank .

how about a better wava maker ?? totally essential for big taank like urs .

Its more reddish brown than black......but seems like it grows back after a while. According to Flying carpet, its cyano.......Rowaphos to rid it?

Yeah was initally interested in MH and FL cos most reviews mentiones MH's better pentration thru water. Considering mine is 3ft, i thought it would be important. But i've seen a few member tanks just use T5's and seems ok..... So you think it'll be ok for mine? What sort of wattage shud i be considering? 54 or 80w? Any brands for the fixtures? colours for the bulbs? there is so many combinations. its mind boggling. Its just a shame i can't be in the shops to see it first hand. So i hope you guys can tell me wat you think.......thanks

A wave maker would be great. The powerhead doesn't seem to stir quite a few places, hence a few dead spots around the tank. Wat sort of wave maker should i look into?

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

• SRC Member

Let me just list down a few to do list if I were you and maybe you could use it as a guide line:-

1) Measure tank water volume. LXBXH divided by 1000.

2) Buy carbon, phosphate remover and wave maker. As according to your tank water volume.

3) Throw away coral chips and ceramic rings

4) Bring out all liverock for scraping.

5) Prepare for water change.

Do practice caution when you are handling the liverocks and please wear heavy duty gloves as there may be fire worms or other pest that my deliver their venomous stings.

Once the following procedure are completed my next step would be:-

1) Place liverocks in after scraping.

2) Do my water change.

3) Place carbons, phosphate remover and wavemaker in place.

Let me just list down a few to do list if I were you and maybe you could use it as a guide line:-

1) Measure tank water volume. LXBXH divided by 1000.

2) Buy carbon, phosphate remover and wave maker. As according to your tank water volume.

3) Throw away coral chips and ceramic rings

4)  Bring out all liverock for scraping.

5) Prepare for water change.

Do practice caution when you are handling the liverocks and please wear heavy duty gloves as there may be fire worms or other pest that my deliver their venomous stings.

Once the following procedure are completed my next step would be:-

1) Place liverocks in after scraping.

2) Do my water change.

3) Place carbons, phosphate remover and wavemaker in place.

Thanks flying carpet......that sounds like a good idea.

By scraping the live rocks, did you mean just removing the cyano/algae?

Wats the recommended method of a water change? replace 30% of the existing water? Or is it more? Just add DI water and sea salt?

So Seachem Rowacarbon the way to go huh?

How do fire worms look like?

Will post the tank volume, shortly.

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

Volume 850litres? is that about right?

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

Volume 850litres? is that about right?

There's a calculation table in SRC. Plus minus a bit your volume sld be about there. my 6x2.5x.25 ft tank with 4x2x2 ft sump is rated at 1100 litres. . yours sldnt be too far from mine.

Anyway suggestions given by other fellow reefers here are pretty accurate.

IMO:

Get two tunze wavemakers.

Get a FR (pasam malam got a lot of 2nd hand ones)

For the phosphate remover, there are 5 different brands to choose from

Rescape the entire tank

Replace ceramic rings n coral chips with live rocks

A bit more work will get u a proper tank.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

There's a calculation table in SRC. Plus minus a bit your volume sld be about there. my 6x2.5x.25 ft tank with 4x2x2 ft sump is rated at 1100 litres. . yours sldnt be too far from mine.

Anyway suggestions given by other fellow reefers here are pretty accurate.

IMO:

Get two tunze wavemakers.

Get a FR (pasam malam got a lot of 2nd hand ones)

For the phosphate remover, there are 5 different brands to choose from

Rescape the entire tank

Replace ceramic rings n coral chips with live rocks

A bit more work will get u a proper tank.

thanks acidjazz.....

Forgot to add the sump volume too.. so i gues would be about 1000litres.(sump is pretty small actually)

Do you have any problems with your FR? What sort of Phosphate remover are you using? Is it working well for you?

Think the tunze wavemaker is highly recommended......but haven't actually seen it? any pics mate? Should i place it at the opposite end to the overflow?

What sort of skimmer are you using? I'm not sure if i shud stick with the one i have or get an external one to free up more space in my sump? Any suggestiosn here?

post-34-1159069665.jpg

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

Previously i was using a Deltec FR with Aqualight phosphate remover. Its working well for me as i dun experience algae problems. Its highly recommended for reefers with new start ups and lots of livestock. Fr is a simple equipment, almost any brand will do. For the phosphate remover, there's Aqualight, Aquaz, Rowa etc. . see which brand u prefer. . .

Tunze is the bext wavemaker in the market, u can use two and positioned opposite ur overflow box. . so its blowing from one end to the other end of the tank.

I am using the ATI bubble master. Work out ur budget and get something decent. . ur Atman skimmer is definately a must-change. Beckett is the cheapest in the mkt now. If u really want to spend on your tank, get Deltec or something.

Remove the coral chips, just replace everything with live rocks.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

Previously i was using a Deltec FR with Aqualight phosphate remover. Its working well for me as i dun experience algae problems. Its highly recommended for reefers with new start ups and lots of livestock. Fr is a simple equipment, almost any brand will do. For the phosphate remover, there's Aqualight, Aquaz, Rowa etc. . see which brand u prefer. . .

Tunze is the bext wavemaker in the market, u can use two and positioned opposite ur overflow box. . so its blowing from one end to the other end of the tank.

I am using the ATI bubble master. Work out ur budget and get something decent. . ur Atman skimmer is definately a must-change. Beckett is the cheapest in the mkt now. If u really want to spend on your tank, get Deltec or something.

Remove the coral chips, just replace everything with live rocks.

Great info acidjazz.....

So FR is the way to go eh.....okie. Will check the deltec ones out. Ask for a quote on Joe_P RM FR but he hasn't got back to me...... Rowaphos seems like a popular brand...... but now you mention aqualight, will check that out too... Problem is i got to order from singapore, so a bit difficult to look at the problem before i buy it......hai!!!

Will need to check out the pricing on the Tunze.....any model in particular?

Was looking at the ATI bubble master....i think i saw it on Jervismun's setup......roughly how much is that and the tunze too?

Don't want to spend a bomb on the tank just yet. Would like to take it one step at a time and see an improvement before proceed.....but i think the getting rid of coralchips+ ceramic rings and adding a FR seems like the way to go first..

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

• SRC Member

greetings A320,

depending on what u want to keep, decide what lights u want to get. if u intend to keep corals, MH is good for 3 feet height. But I think a 1hp chiller is then needed.

one thing for sure to battle the algaes is get FR with PO4 remover, RO/DI water for FREQUENT water changes, feed lesser or decrease ur live stocks, get a better skimmer or a refugium.

To me a refugium is very important, read more about it in the search engines.

you only got one overflow to the sump? i dun think thats sufficient. what return pump u using? its highly recommended to have atleast 10 times turnover rate return pumps for a healthy tank. But can ur single overflow handle the flow?

The first thing i will like to improve on ur tank is the SUMP!!!! Change ur sump to a bigger one with BIG refugium and space for equipments. it will save u alot of headaches from future upgrades.

happy reefing

warmest regards,

LaW

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

greetings A320,

depending on what u want to keep, decide what lights u want to get. if u intend to keep corals, MH is good for 3 feet height. But I think a 1hp chiller is then needed.

one thing for sure to battle the algaes is get FR with PO4 remover, RO/DI water for FREQUENT water changes, feed lesser or decrease ur live stocks, get a better skimmer or a refugium.

To me a refugium is very important, read more about it in the search engines.

you only got one overflow to the sump? i dun think thats sufficient. what return pump u using? its highly recommended to have atleast 10 times turnover rate return pumps for a healthy tank. But can ur single overflow handle the flow?

The first thing i will like to improve on ur tank is the SUMP!!!! Change ur sump to a bigger one with BIG refugium and space for equipments. it will save u alot of headaches from future upgrades.

happy reefing

warmest regards,

LaW

Thanks for the advice laW......

I hope to get some corals......in the future, esp when the tank looks a lot better than it is now. I'm still not so sure about the lights though.... I like the look of all T5's but will miss the shimmering effect for sure......but for the MH, the colour isn't too great but its great for the corals which i don't have at the moment. Or is a combination of MH and T5's the best way to go? Wat about eh wattage of the MH and T5's will it have any bearing on the depth of the tank?\

Yeah i think the FR and PO4 removal is a must.....will get right on that when i order them both.....any suggestions on which ones to go for? How much approx?

Yeah the sump seems to be a major problem.... Not only is it too small, its not effecient as well. i can only think of changing the whole sump....getting a quote as we speak. Not sure it'll be much bigger though as the cabinet isn't too big. the existing sump already takes up 3/4 of the avail space. Might have to get an external skimmer just to maximise the sump......

Btw wat is a refugium? need to check that out.

Yeah only one overflow.......think it can handle more volume(not sure up to 10x or not) but will need a bigger pump.....cos the existing ones isn't that great.....not sure of the brand......will check and get back to ya.

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

Either chamber can you can put carbon or phosphate remover. Filter wool only for first layer from overflow to sump.

thanks will source the carbon and PO4.......

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

should i get rid of these from the overflow chamber?

post-34-1159180198.jpg

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

yea u shld,look at the amt of dirt trap there.. will bring up no3. :D

Thanks....will get right on to that? Should i get rid of it or replace it with new ones? Its denitrator balls isn't it? Not too sure of the terminology.....hehehe

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

Does anyone know what i can replace this with? Seen some of the member tanks already comes with it? Whereabouts can i get it?

post-34-1159182351.jpg

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

Narrowing down the chiller to either a Hailea or another Resun......been told the 1/2HP Hailea will do the job........my old Cl650 was ok initially but got a louder and louder as it got on.....shud i even consider something bigger like a 1HP?

Or is there any other brands just as good and around the same price?

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish