Deltec 851 vs Hydro 2000 vs ATI BM 250

stinky

This question has been asked a million times, and the general answer is usually either get the largest affordable, or personal preference. So, I hope to share with you some specific specs and preferences and hopfully see if there is one with better match.

SPECS

Tank Volume = (5 x 2 x 3ft main + 4 x 1.5 x 1.5 sump) minus (5 inches DSB in main tank + live rocks + others) = about 1200 ltrs

Corals = 70% SPS + 30% others

Fishes = 20 to 30 small 2 inches fishes + 1 or 2 tangs

Other Filtration = DSB + Live rocks + macro algea in sump

BUDGET = about S$1.5K

SKIMMER PLACEMENT = Equiptment room with sump, so NO RESTRICTIONS

All 3 are EXECELLENT skimmers ... just which one best fits my needs!!!

SKIMMER PREFERENCE

Deltec 851 (S$1,399)

Heavy Stocking 1000 L (222 Gal)

Normal Stocking 1500 L (333 Gal) (16mm/20mm flexible connection)

Water Throughput 1000 L/H (222 Gal/h)

Comments: Execellent reviews ... but worried about being under capacity for my setup. Sorry, next jump up in model is really beyond my budget!!!

Will get this if ... higher capacity at that price, will grab immediately!!! :P Also will get this if this forum's gurus think that the capacity is high enough for my setup.

Hydro 2000 (S$1,548)

For aquariums: 2000 l to 2800 l

Water Throughput 3200 l/h

Comments: Very few reviews ... maybe still new in market. Good capacity on paper, but really not sure of performance. Why is it that not many people are using this??

Will get this if ... there are good reviews on this.

Bubble Master 250 (S$1,118)

air intake of 2000l/h

Comments: 3 words ... VALUE FOR $$$!!! But I worry about 1. construction quality, 2. unable to control the skim flow, & 3. the long-term performance of the thread wheel. Those wire on the wheel looks like it will either deform or break easily!!!

Will get this if ... effectiveness & durability of BM is not VERY significantly different from above 2 skimmers. Save $$ and put into better water flow!! :yeah:

BTY, would LOVE to see these at my LFS, but in KL, all are pre-ordered from Singapore LFS!!! Most likely, have to order without actually seeing the actual product!!!! So, have to rely heavily on users like you!!!

Any comments are appreciated!! :bow:

Deltec 850 can easily cope with your tank size.

Cant beat a wide tall reaction chamber

I was told to get a skimmer that can process x 2 to 3 tank volume. For about S$1,500, the Hydro 2000 fits the bill.

You mention that Deltec can EASILY handle the volume ... but it will process about only about 1 x my tank volume. Is it enough for the SPS??

Please advice, as I will be commiting to one of these skimmers next weekend!!!

If you have doubts about the 850, go ask USA or UK reefers. www.reefcentral.com or www.ultimatereef.co.uk

Go ask on the Deltec forum on the USA reefcentral site, get some opinions, not just mine.

Like you said, excellent reviews. This skimmer only get these reviews for a reason.