unknown hair algae

found some hair algae start growing on some rocks, slim and short, color looks like greenish (izzit christmast tree..?), but some are reddish purple, izzit slim hair algae..? :shock:

good or bad ? how to remove and cure.

issit po4= high..?

amonia/ph=normal, temp=27-28.5c

tank cycled close to 7.5 month, with water change regularly a little 1x in a month

:thanks:

• SRC Member

my tank also under cyano attack, bought red slime remover. shall try out tom. shall update in between 2-7 days, as it suppose to clear by then if successful. cyano is mainly due to poor water circulation, poor lighting, over feeding, top-up water quality, high phosphate, etc... try to scrap off and siphon the affected area as much as possible. no snails, hermit crabs or cuke will do the job. cut down on your lighting duration, 20% water change weekly, reduce feeding amount. check your nitrate level and don't be fool if it's low as cyano feed on nitrate. keen to know if you heard other suggestions...

:rolleyes: put near my.....but still can't tell,,,ask my maltese to sniff,...she oso run away.... :P

go re***b and they advised confirm it's slim hair algae(purple reddish in color)...po4 is high due to overfeedin . this algae can cause yr LR rip .

show to me a bottle...of ROWA.....said can reduce po4 and remove the slim hair algae.

dunno leh... hi bros expert can give better advise

:cry2::cry2:

Cyanobacteria are photosynthetic. Reduce photoperiod to inhibit them from photosynthesizing. Or give your tank a 2-3 day blackout..your corals should be able to withstand it. Cyanobacteria will die faster compared to your corals. Reduce phosphate. Phosphate building block of DNA. No phosphate..mean no DNA replication for the bacteria.

You should remove as much cyano before treatment. Helps to reduce the waste given off during die off.

And definitely have a good skimmer running.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

today i scrub off all the slime hair algae, siphon and filter all those waste, change a little of water. :huh::huh::cry:

now all LR are clean from hair algae, but how to avoid this problem,

beside reduce overfeedin and water changing, can anyone advise

is it necessary to use PO4 remover like SeaGel from seachem, or any better way ............ ;)

light on 6hours a day.

Cyano normally forms as a slimy film over gravel and rocks. When taken out of water it smells quite bad (like ammonia gas).

Anything hairy is most likely hair algae.

Phosphate remover go for either contraphos or rowaphos. German brands. B)

Hair algae is quite common in new tanks. Normally they will go away by themselves after 3-4 months.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

From what i read from peteducation.com, it says that quite a few hermit crabs eat green hair algae and cyanobacteria. Anyone can verify on this? Did not have a chance to try it out as the hermit crab i bought went straight for my tube worms when i put it in my tank.

• SRC Member
found some hair algae start growing on some rocks, slim and short, color looks like greenish (izzit christmast tree..?), but some are reddish purple, izzit slim hair algae..? :shock:

good or bad ? how to remove and cure.

issit po4= high..?

amonia/ph=normal, temp=27-28.5c

tank cycled close to 7.5 month, with water change regularly a little 1x in a month

if urs is a new tank, it wld be betta to hav regular water changes 10~15%/week or 20%/biweekly....

will remove phosphate n nitrate n replenish trace more effectively rather than once/mth... :)