questions about cycling and cannister

Hi bros, need some advise..

Im currently running a 2ft by 1 ft by 1.5ft tank.... using Jebo 180 skimmer (with AP1500 powerhead) and a small resun cannister filter (200/l) super underpower.

I have about 10kg LRs with some corals esp mushies... housed with 2 cleaner shrimps, 1 blue damsel and 1 goby... So far, all very healthy....

I am changing into a slightly bigger tank (2ft by 1.5ft by 1.5ft) and due to my workplace, i am not allowed to have more than 1 tank....

Therefore my questions is

1) When i set up my new (2nd hand) tank, filled it with natural sea water bought from the farm, I placed my LRs in....Do i have to cycle for a month? I will be filling the new tank with 1/4 of the old water from my current tank and will be temperary using my old resun cannister, while waiting for the new ehiem cannister filter to runs in...

Most likely will be buying ehiem 2211 filter.... but what are the materials recommended to place inside the new cannister filter and at which compartment? I can onlycycle for 3-5 days as i need to get rid of the old tank....(office rules) thats y i will be using back the water from the current tank mixed with newly bought saltwater.... any advise from fellow bros?

Pls point out my mistakes if any...kindly enlighten me.... Is my skimmer powerfull enough? will be adding in a couple of fish when the tank had stablised (will be using test kits) but mean while, my current livestocks have to be placed in the tank after the fifth day before i get rid of my old tank..

Pls advise..

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Tunze DOC 9006 DOC protein skimmer

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

• SRC Member

Assuming your tank has no sand, using more of your old tank water maybe a better choice as it reduces the change in total environment. If you have sand, I don't think there's a shortcut. Once you move your sand, the bio-filter is disturb (anaerobic nitrifying bacteria is killed) and only way is to cycle normally.

With regards to your new canister. If you intend to build bio-filtration, you'll need substrate/substrate pro with Mech or Mech Pro as first level mechanical filtration. Do note that 2211 is not compartmentalized so you'll need a fiber layer to separate the media. You should consider 2222 instead for easy media maintenance with it's individual compartments. You can top this off with a layer of carbon or phosphate remover. The configuration should be inflow -> Mech -> fiber -> Substrate -> fiber -> carbon and/or phosphate remover -> return flow. If you put the carbon and phosphate remover in mesh bags, you'll not

need the fiber layer.

I recommend you run both filters for 3-4 weeks until the new filter has established bio-filtration.

Just my few cents worth. Good Luck

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Hi bro..

Pls advise...if I had done correctly

1) Filter - I had settled for Ehiem classic 2213. The first layer that takes in the raw water is the mechanic filter (the blue colour filter that comes with it. After that, i put in a kg of biohome. and lastly another layer of white filter before the water goes back to the tank.. I am oso using the old small underpower cannister....before the new filter runs in totally.. oh ya,, i did not add in carbon or phostrates remover into the ehiem.is it recommended? pocket burn a hole liao... can i slowly add them in future?

2) Water - I had also added in 1/2 of my old tank water and another half of the newly purchase sea water...

3) Live rocks - using my old live rocks, together with a few new live rocks (Given by a fellow reefer who had kept them for 5 years) to assist in the filtration system.

4) skimmer - im using Jebo p.skimmer with AP1500 powerhead, but this time round, i have put the whole skimmer in the tank, at the back as there is no more space around the tank. Previously i used to hang it at the back of the tank.

5) Though I thought of cycling the new tank for a few days, but my boss is looking at me.. haiz..no choice, I got to carefully released all the corals and livestocks i have into the new tank... Im praying hard that they will be able to adapt.... coz..im not allowed to keep 2 tanks....and have to remove the other by today..

6) So far, my doctor fish, damsel and cleaner shrimps have no probs.. a few hours after inside the tank,, now they are curously exploring the tank. However, my blue stugeon is still hiding inside the rocks...

Assuming your tank has no sand, using more of your old tank water maybe a better choice as it reduces the change in total environment. If you have sand, I don't think there's a shortcut. Once you move your sand, the bio-filter is disturb (anaerobic nitrifying bacteria is killed) and only way is to cycle normally.

With regards to your new canister. If you intend to build bio-filtration, you'll need substrate/substrate pro with Mech or Mech Pro as first level mechanical filtration. Do note that 2211 is not compartmentalized so you'll need a fiber layer to separate the media. You should consider 2222 instead for easy media maintenance with it's individual compartments. You can top this off with a layer of carbon or phosphate remover. The configuration should be inflow -> Mech -> fiber -> Substrate -> fiber -> carbon and/or phosphate remover -> return flow. If you put the carbon and phosphate remover in mesh bags, you'll not

need the fiber layer.

I recommend you run both filters for 3-4 weeks until the new filter has established bio-filtration.

Just my few cents worth. Good Luck

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

• SRC Member

Just monitor and hope that all turns out well.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

so far so good...the blue stugeon came out exploring le..thanks bro.... I will still monitor and see how..thanks for yr advise..

Just monitor and hope that all turns out well.

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns