advise needed for new nano

jackywongto

My previous experinece was with a 6ft tank, 2.5 ft cube tank LPS many years ago. Both already decomm.

Coming back to start a new tank now that my life has stabilize a little.

Going to start a new tank. I have decided on Tunze Nano Reefpack 200

I am still open about the corals i am going to keep. probably some LPS and SPS. Very few fishes.

Gonna get the artica 1/15HP chiller as well.

Currently having dilemma on lighting and size of tank.

Initially wanted a 1.5 cube tank. But found very limited light sets available for this size. At the moment I am thinking of getting the JBJ Viper 70W, 14k MH(http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod-k2-viper.html) but the question is how do I control the photo period? Leave it on 8 hrs a day? Will it toast the corals in it? Without actinic, will it look pale? I prefer to use MH in combo with T5 tubes. Are there any such combo light fixtures that are of 1.5 ft?

Most of the other alternative models I saw are 24inches ones.

Because of that, I am thinking of resizing my tank to 24inch x 14 x 14 so that I can have more light fixtures to consider.

Last question : which nano wavemaker is suitable for a tank of this size? Will controllable one makes a lot of difference?

Sorry for the plentiful questions but rather ask now than be sorry later.

Would appreciate if the experts can help out here.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Bro, I no expert. But if you are worried about the standard lighting fixture, why not consider DIY LEDs.... save electricity and space.

Cheers

I not good at DIYing leh. unless someone here can help me make which I dun think anyone will :P

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
I not good at DIYing leh. unless someone here can help me make which I dun think anyone will :P

bro you might wanna check out Aquaray LEDs if you interested in LED lighting. I think they will fit your tank nicely. I think GO carries them.

bro you might wanna check out Aquaray LEDs if you interested in LED lighting. I think they will fit your tank nicely. I think GO carries them.

wow just checked. LED lighting is not cheap and not proven in the long run yet........

Think I will have to stick with clip on MH. (viper K2 - 150W)

Any reccomendation for 1.5 ft MH + actinic combo? Are there any such combo in the market?

• SRC Member
wow just checked. LED lighting is not cheap and not proven in the long run yet........

Think I will have to stick with clip on MH. (viper K2 - 150W)

Any reccomendation for 1.5 ft MH + actinic combo? Are there any such combo in the market?

Although LED's expensive 1st time cost, in the long run should actually incur cost savings. While LEDs still considered new in the mkt, think many bros here have experienced good coral growth, even for SPS. I'm still praying and hoping tt LED prices will drop eventually as suppliers mass produce high powered LEDs.

I don't think T5 comes in 1.5ft configuration. Prob either stick with MH alone or have to supplement with a 2ft actinic. Or supplement with 1 strip of Aquaray reefblue? :evil:

Although LED's expensive 1st time cost, in the long run should actually incur cost savings. While LEDs still considered new in the mkt, think many bros here have experienced good coral growth, even for SPS. I'm still praying and hoping tt LED prices will drop eventually as suppliers mass produce high powered LEDs.

I don't think T5 comes in 1.5ft configuration. Prob either stick with MH alone or have to supplement with a 2ft actinic. Or supplement with 1 strip of Aquaray reefblue? :evil:

did think of that.... but my tank might appear clustered.... I am thinking so setting an open top so that there is not much clustering of eqpt above the tank and wires all over the place......

Currently leaning towards

a JBJ 24G open top tank

1x Viper K2 150W (14k bulb)

K1 or should I get K2?

Nano reefpack 200

Artica chiller 1/15HP . will need another pump for the chiller :(

Think this list is quite final......

until if MP10 is available and is not too powerful for my tank size.

Anyone has any suggestion or any epqt that I should get instead of those listed?

Just wondering bro, since you are not going to use most of the stock equip tt comes with the JBJ, why not just get a tankmaker to custom build a tank for you??

Went to have a look at the JBJ tank today. Unfortunately did not like it. The front was curved and the object in the tank seems distorted. Felt giddy after looking at it for a while.

prefer the RSM tank but size is too big. Yes I am looking at ordering an acrylic 1.5 ft cube tank now.