Setting up new marine tank

Peihao83

Bro I feel that way too. For me, it is better to do my own research so that i make my decision based on facts/views I can find online. Some of your questions revolve ard which one is better, the truth is, everyone will have their own thoughts. These are already well documented not only in this forum, but elsewhere too. By reading up on them, you learn more, and eventually don't need to ask so many questions. At the same time, many other factual questions, you can also find them easily.

At the end of the day, I'm sure we all agree that we want to grow in this hobby. And a little initiative to research and read up goes a long way into that.

will read up.. thanks anyway..

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

My suggestion to you is to do a search in this forum and you may find ur answers.

you're right, everyone here does ask for comments, feedbacks or answers, cos all of us wants to improve on their aquarium.

But many of these comments, feedbacks, answers are already in many of the polls around here, and they're contributed by many many reefers, instead of only a few here answering you. :)

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

Actually I find that it is okay to post his queries regardless.

He could have read up already on some articles and would like to interact more by asking.

Different ppl learn things diff ways. Personally I find it a daunting task search through the entire forum and read through 20 pages of response on a thread dating from 2003 to today on what type of salt to use. Some people might say that it is laziness and I do admit it is partially just that. But by posting question, it does cut short the learning curve but hearing from the current batch of reefers share their view. This forum is basically meant for interaction and it also helps to bond fellow reefers.

Sometimes, he might know the answer already but just wanted to seek a confirmation, sometimes it could be he is confused by the various opinions. If you do not have time to respond to his repetitive question, then skip this thread. It does not eat up that much bandwidth. If you would like to make it easier for fellow reefer to learn, then contribute to this thread.

I have spoken to TS before and he has read up quite a lot already. Here is someone who has taken a keen interest in reef keeping. Spend quite a huge sum of $$ getting a 5 ft, skimmer, container to hold his SW even before his tank arrival etc..... I think we should encourage him more to post his doubts. It is not like he ask a question today and 4 weeks later, he still ask the same question. He has progressed in his tank setup and I am sure he is thankful to those here that has helped him along the way. Who knows... a couple of years later, he could be helping others. For all you know, this thread could be informative for beginners who do not like to post.

Just my thoughts.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Peihao83

This is the photo of the crabs & mantis that I flush out of my rocks in my previous tank when setting up.

If you are getting LR from LFS especially non cured ones, you can get rid of crabs and pest in them by

1. soaking them in extreme salinity or

2. leave the rocks in the open air. The crabs and pest will leave the rock to breathe. This might take .5 day - 1 day. You will need to occasionally spray saltwater over the rocks

If you are getting from reefers, I would suggest you ignore the above mentioned.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
Actually I find that it is okay to post his queries regardless.

He could have read up already on some articles and would like to interact more by asking.

Different ppl learn things diff ways. Personally I find it a daunting task search through the entire forum and read through 20 pages of response on a thread dating from 2003 to today on what type of salt to use. Some people might say that it is laziness and I do admit it is partially just that. But by posting question, it does cut short the learning curve but hearing from the current batch of reefers share their view. This forum is basically meant for interaction and it also helps to bond fellow reefers.

Sometimes, he might know the answer already but just wanted to seek a confirmation, sometimes it could be he is confused by the various opinions. If you do not have time to respond to his repetitive question, then skip this thread. It does not eat up that much bandwidth. If you would like to make it easier for fellow reefer to learn, then contribute to this thread.

I have spoken to TS before and he has read up quite a lot already. Here is someone who has taken a keen interest in reef keeping. Spend quite a huge sum of $$ getting a 5 ft, skimmer, container to hold his SW even before his tank arrival etc..... I think we should encourage him more to post his doubts. It is not like he ask a question today and 4 weeks later, he still ask the same question. He has progressed in his tank setup and I am sure he is thankful to those here that has helped him along the way. Who knows... a couple of years later, he could be helping others. For all you know, this thread could be informative for beginners who do not like to post.

Just my thoughts.

Like i said, just a suggestion to him to get his queries answered faster and to have more varied responses as his queries had came up in polls previously. Not shooting him in any way here.

End of the day if TS still wants to post here and wait for his answers then by all means :)

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

Like i said, just a suggestion to him to get his queries answered faster and to have more varied responses as his queries had came up in polls previously. Not shooting him in any way here.

End of the day if TS still wants to post here and wait for his answers then by all means :)

Cool. Agree with you bro.

• SRC Member

I personally think the idea here is that TS is not getting enough varied answers to his questions - which will be the case because like Jacky correctly mentions, most bros will just skip the thread when they don't feel like responding. Many so called 'newbie' questions have been thoroughly and better answered in the forum, or in other forums. They will provide fairer options to newbies to judge. Likewise, as this thread grows longer, the difficulty curve in reading through everything will increase.

As a newbie, I research alot, read alot. But I still wanna ask the same question others ask. Why? For me it boils down to lack of confidence in the answers I find online. Nobody is answering MY question, and because I feel disconnected, I feel insecure, need to double confirm facts, find 'more' opinions by posting the question myself. Therefore it is more personalised, I feel safer.

How about another suggestion then? TS can 'organise' some semblance of a LFS outing. Alot of good benefits:

1. Get to know more reefers

2. Learn more about corals and fishes

3. Maybe understand the pricing of these LS. They don't come cheap!

4. Experience the feeling of peering into fibreglass tanks, walking ard in water clogged floors.

5. Ask all the questions you always wanted to ask, and then ask even more

6. Get to know the LFS owners/sales ppl (good in the long run for getting discounts :P)

7. Do I still need to carry on?

No need to really get lots of reefers, even 1 or 2 will be fine. Everytime I go LFS shopping/visiting other reefer's house, I meet a new friend, learn new stuff, inevitably of course, spend some $$. I think it's healthy interaction, and it all starts from here, SRC :)

I personally think the idea here is that TS is not getting enough varied answers to his questions - which will be the case because like Jacky correctly mentions, most bros will just skip the thread when they don't feel like responding. Many so called 'newbie' questions have been thoroughly and better answered in the forum, or in other forums. They will provide fairer options to newbies to judge. Likewise, as this thread grows longer, the difficulty curve in reading through everything will increase.

As a newbie, I research alot, read alot. But I still wanna ask the same question others ask. Why? For me it boils down to lack of confidence in the answers I find online. Nobody is answering MY question, and because I feel disconnected, I feel insecure, need to double confirm facts, find 'more' opinions by posting the question myself. Therefore it is more personalised, I feel safer.

How about another suggestion then? TS can 'organise' some semblance of a LFS outing. Alot of good benefits:

4. Experience the feeling of peering into fibreglass tanks, walking ard in water clogged floors.

6. Get to know the LFS owners/sales ppl (good in the long run for getting discounts :P)

No need to really get lots of reefers, even 1 or 2 will be fine. Everytime I go LFS shopping/visiting other reefer's house, I meet a new friend, learn new stuff, inevitably of course, spend some $$. I think it's healthy interaction, and it all starts from here, SRC :)

Good suggestions... some gathering of sort will be niceeven for small grp. Can invite some of the sponsors to come down for a short talk etc. or fellow reefers on LED, cost implications, frags exchange prog, learn how to frag, meet the mods, view fellow reefers tank etc etc and group outing to LFS of course

hehe.. maybe we can go together next time.. really wan to see other tanks and know even more.. :)

• SRC Member
hehe.. maybe we can go together next time.. really wan to see other tanks and know even more.. :)

Give a shout next time! :)

Even when I didn't know anybody, when I visit LFS, I try to talk to them, or to anyone whois there looking at corals/fishes. Haven't seen tt many ppl who aren't willing to talk to me unless they are really busy catching fish or something. This is a hobby, and I believe guys will always be interested to share their experiences.