Vortech MP40W

chanbi

Hi, i need some advices from Vortech user. I just bought a MP40W over the weekend. Setup awhile ago and realise that there will be some squeaky noise (now n then). Vibration is reasonable though (after some adjustment). Is that normal (squeaky noise)? Mine is a braceless tank and a little worry whether it will cause any problem to my tank? :unsure:

Another question is on the pump disconnect calibration feature. Did u guy calibrate as instructed? Did mine but while tidying up the cables, accidentally disconnect the power.. Do i need to do it again? Or only need to do it once (i hope so).. It is a bit tedious.. :thanks:

• SRC Member

HI Bro

MP40w should not produce squeaky noise now and then. Did you brought it new? If yes, you can send back to Iwana for a check.

If you brought from another reefer, then try this:

1. Did you use the spacer according to the thickness of your tank? It has to be adjust accordingly to suit the thickness else the magnetism might be too strong.

2. If you set does not come with the spacer, quickly buy 1 from Iwana. Else the motor might scratch your tank.

3. Check the wet frame cover to ensure the wet frame portion magnet is not touching the wet frame.

3. Check if the bushing is there between the impeller and the wet frame. Might be the magnet scratching noise on the wet frame.

Best if you could identify whether the noise is coming from the Wet (where the impeller is) or the dry portion (where the motor is running).

Above is just my 2 cents. Best to bring down the full set for Victor (Iwana) to check.

Thanks Jyoon! I bought it brand new. Spacer is set accordingly.. This morning thought the noise is reduce (need to check again tonight as rushing out this morning). Maybe need sometime to run in? Will check with Victor if still got problem..

HI Bro

MP40w should not produce squeaky noise now and then. Did you brought it new? If yes, you can send back to Iwana for a check.

If you brought from another reefer, then try this:

1. Did you use the spacer according to the thickness of your tank? It has to be adjust accordingly to suit the thickness else the magnetism might be too strong.

2. If you set does not come with the spacer, quickly buy 1 from Iwana. Else the motor might scratch your tank.

3. Check the wet frame cover to ensure the wet frame portion magnet is not touching the wet frame.

3. Check if the bushing is there between the impeller and the wet frame. Might be the magnet scratching noise on the wet frame.

Best if you could identify whether the noise is coming from the Wet (where the impeller is) or the dry portion (where the motor is running).

Above is just my 2 cents. Best to bring down the full set for Victor (Iwana) to check.

• SRC Member

When I was using my mp20, sometimes would hear some vibrations and weird noises. Realised eventually tt the wet and dry side are not aligned properly. Then after some exploring, realised that over time, the wavemaker was slipping downwards. Tt's why the instruction manual stated to clean both the wet side and dry side of the tank before mounting the wavemaker.

Not sure if it helps, but if you can't solve the problem, best to bring it back to Victor as it's still under warranty.

I think mine is just the weird noises (vibration seem very reasonable). Can you elaborate a bit more on the alignment? Mine seem to be pretty much align (i thought).. But the noise did sound like the magnet touch something once in awhile.. :unsure:

When I was using my mp20, sometimes would hear some vibrations and weird noises. Realised eventually tt the wet and dry side are not aligned properly. Then after some exploring, realised that over time, the wavemaker was slipping downwards. Tt's why the instruction manual stated to clean both the wet side and dry side of the tank before mounting the wavemaker.

Not sure if it helps, but if you can't solve the problem, best to bring it back to Victor as it's still under warranty.

• SRC Member
I think mine is just the weird noises (vibration seem very reasonable). Can you elaborate a bit more on the alignment? Mine seem to be pretty much align (i thought).. But the noise did sound like the magnet touch something once in awhile.. :unsure:

If I shifted my dry side (minute shifts, from clockwise, anti clockwise to up down left right), can feel more or less vibrations, more or less sound and eventually hit a sweet spot. But remember to do it when the motor is off! or if motor on, do at your own risk (like i did :paiseh: )

My MP40 produced loud squeaky sound when set to less than 30% power. Anything above 30% is slient. But the wet side tend to slip off once a month, during my 6 months usage.

Mine seem more like your case.. Because i just started using (dun want sand storm) so set to lagoon mode with max speed ~60%. And the sound do seem to appear only when the pump slow down.. Will check that out tonight..

Btw, do you use the pump disconnect calibration procedure? Been thinking what will happen if both side slip off.. Will the impeller continue to turn and i think will be disasterous!!

• SRC Member
Mine seem more like your case.. Because i just started using (dun want sand storm) so set to lagoon mode with max speed ~60%. And the sound do seem to appear only when the pump slow down.. Will check that out tonight..

Btw, do you use the pump disconnect calibration procedure? Been thinking what will happen if both side slip off.. Will the impeller continue to turn and i think will be disasterous!!

I did not perform the "disconnect calibration" steps, but no problem so far when both parts disengage. The impeller kept running, but take note my power source for the impeller is from top of the tank. The impeller does not fall onto the floor when the wet parts slip off. On the other hand, I did replace the screw drive shaft once with Victor when it broke.

aquatronica7na.gif