Ground Probe

infinityex

Hi, I have been using a Titanium ground probe that I got from Sealife in my tank for the past 5 years. It was meant to channel off any 'stray voltage' to the earth to improve livestock well being. Just wondering how many reefers are still doing the same these days?

• SRC Member

good to have. i have got 2 since i had one lying around spare.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

hi now i'm trying to find back a net post of the danger of having a ground probe in the tank.

Can't seem to find it but i remember something it say it not right to have exp.

for stray elect they are not dangerous if the circuit is not loop to any of the point,

but if we're going to add an grounding probe it actually make a close circuit which will activate the shock.

this explain why when our hand was put in just on the surface of the water with a slight skin expose we can feel the stray elect as our body is ground when we're not wearing any shoe.

So for one side supply elect without another side to loop up the circuit, it won't cause any harm at all

(it may not be all right but do it with caution)

Very interesting! Thanks for the read.

Actually while the posts seem to agree that the grounding probe can divert away some stray voltage, they all claim that we should try to eliminate the source of the problem. Now, how many reefers here test their tanks with voltmeters?

As the ground probe seems to complete the circuit, I would think that it is still useable but it would be best to keep it as near to the source of potential voltage as possible like in the sump? So that there won't be issues in the main tank.

So far I have just stuck mine in the tank and my livestock seem okay, perhaps there is insufficient voltage to cause a problem in the first place. Hm

what i can said when there's a sudden power leak where as we're away either it will have a power trip to all ur equipment or the fuse burn, as there's a complete circuit from ur ground probe

if niot it'll shock all ur LS to death

even u place it in the sump it'll still have the same problem cause the water is a link point for all current

• SRC Member

i didnt knew that. thats worth studying more.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||