WORLD ஜ۩۞۩ஜ CUP♥♡2010 &#1008

kueytoc

• SRC Member

:thumbdown:FA to decide on Capello’s future within 2 weeks

12 hours, 40 minutes ago

RUSTENBURG, South Africa (AP)—England’s Football Association told Fabio Capello on Monday it will take two weeks to decide whether to retain him as coach of the national team.

Capello, who has two years left on his contract, said he met with FA board member Dave Richards and told him he “absolutely” wants to stay on despite England’s elimination from the World Cup by Germany.

“He told me that he needs two weeks time to decide,” Capello said. “I said I can be for the next season the manager of England.”

Capello led England to nine wins from 10 qualifying matches, but his team exited the second round Sunday following a 4-1 loss—England’s most lopsided at a World Cup.

The former Real Madrid and AC Milan coach said he supported Richards’ response.

“I think it’s an intelligent answer,” Capello said.

The Italian is contracted to the FA until after the 2012 European Championship.

“I refuse a lot of opportunities to be a manager of important clubs because I like to stay here,” Capello said, adding he and Richards discussed the need to turn to younger players and rebuild the national team.

That could mean the likes of John Terry, Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard facing the end of their international careers if Capello stays on.

Capello said tiredness was the main reason for England’s poor performance at the World Cup after long seasons in domestic and European competitions.

“The players were not as good as I know because they played not so fast, not so quick. I can see through the seven games they were not so fast as I know,” he said in reference to three warmup games and the four played at the tournament.

“I understand a lot after this tournament. The players trained very well and were focused every time. But the performance was not at the level that I know. Probably we are really tired every time at a competition that we have to play.”

Capello noted that Germany has a long midwinter break and that might explain why its players appeared fresher at the end of their domestic and European campaigns and for the World Cup.

“Germany always arrive at the second part of the season very well when you play Champions League,” he said, referring to Bayern Munich reaching the final of European soccer’s premier club competition.

“The reason is that it’s very important to recover the force. But it’s not my job to decide the calendar.”

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

:thumbdown:French federation boss to quit after WCup fiasco

11 hours, 37 minutes ago

PARIS (AP)—French Football Federation president Jean-Pierre Escalettes says he will quit later this week following France’s World Cup fiasco.

Escalettes says he will resign Friday at a meeting of the federation’s federal council.

France was eliminated at the group stage in South Africa for the second consecutive major tournament under coach Raymond Domenech.

There were also open conflicts between the squad and team management. France players boycotted a training session in protest of Nicolas Anelka being thrown off the squad following an expletive-filled tirade directed at Domenech.

“My decision is mainly dictated by the desire to preserve and facilitate the evolution of an institution that I serve with passion for decades,” Escalettes said in a statement. “I accept my share of the responsibility lucidly.”

Escalettes is scheduled to appear before France’s National Assembly for questioning Wednesday about the World Cup performance. It’s a sign how seriously France’s politicians are taking the defeat.

French sports minister Roselyne Bachelot earlier said she felt Escalettes’ resignation was “inevitable,” prompting FIFA to warn France it won’t hesitate to suspend the country in case of government interference with the team.

France President Nicolas Sarkozy has also vowed to personally investigate the squad’s meltdown.

France failed to win a match at the World Cup and finished last in Group A.

After six years in charge, Domenech will be replaced by former Bordeaux coach Laurent Blanc, a World Cup winner with France in 1998 and a European Championship winner two years later.

• SRC Member

:groupwavereversed:Netherlands beats Slovakia 2-1 at World Cup

By ANDREW DAMPF, AP Sports Writer

6 hours, 22 minutes ago

DURBAN, South Africa (AP)—Impressive as Arjen Robben and his Dutch teammates were in advancing to the World Cup quarterfinals, they seek much more.

The Netherlands reached the final eight Monday when standouts Robben and Wesley Sneijder scored in each half of a 2-1 victory over Slovakia.

“We played a difficult match. Main thing is, we are through,” Robben said. “Probably the perfect game has still to come.”

The Dutch might need to approach perfection in their next match against five-time champion Brazil. For now, they can enjoy the rekindling of the crafty Dutch offense—and they can credit Robben, who made his first start of the tournament after recovering from a hamstring injury.

The Oranje, who have never won soccer’s biggest prize, went ahead in the 18th minute when Robben cut inside from the right wing and found the net with a low, precise shot from 20 yards.

“It’s fantastic,” coach Bert van Marwijk said. “After such an injury that he has the touch to score a goal like that.”

The Moses Mabhida Stadium was filled mostly with orange-clad Netherlands fans and they blasted their vuvuzelas on Robben’s first touch. After his goal, the sound became deafening.

Sneijder doubled the lead into an empty net in the 84th after a gamble by Slovak goalkeeper Jan Mucha backfired.

“We had a good first half hour. And we started well in the second half,” Van Marwijk said. “We should have scored 2-0, 3-0, maybe 4-0 there.”

Netherlands goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg preserved the win with two key saves in the 67th and the Dutch extended their team-record unbeaten streak to 23 games. Robert Vittek scored on a last-second penalty kick for Slovakia, then rushed to the net to retrieve the ball, only to hear the final whistle.

“At a crucial stage Maarten Stekelenburg saved us,” Netherlands coach Bert van Marwijk said.

It was only a month ago when Robben and Sneijder were on opposite sides of the pitch in the Champions League final—Robben with Bayern Munich and Sneijder with winner Inter Milan.

On Monday, they showcased some of the brilliant passing and scoring that is a trademark of the Netherlands when it is playing well. Sneijder sent Robben sprinting upfield with a long, accurate pass and the winger did what he’s been doing all season with Bayern, scoring with shots from beyond the penalty area.

With a sharp breeze blowing in from the nearby Indian Ocean, Robben nearly doubled the lead in the 50th minute, but Mucha deflected his shot just wide of the goal. A minute later, Robben sent a dangerous cross inside the area and Mucha blocked a close-range shot from Joris Mathijsen.

In the 71st, when he was replaced by Eljero Elia, Robben exited to a standing ovation.

“He’s a total genius, and when I saw him in the starting lineup I thought he makes the Dutch team 50 percent stronger—and I was right,” Slovakia coach Vladimir Weiss said.

Sneijder sealed the victory when Dirk Kuyt drew Mucha out of his net.

The Netherlands won all three group games; its last loss was to Australia in September 2008, a run of 18 wins and five draws.

Slovakia upset Italy 3-2 in its previous match, eliminating the defending champion. The Slovaks had to be satisfied with their tournament debut as an independent nation.

Slovakia’s two best chances before Vittek’s penalty kick both came in the 67th. Stekelenburg leaped to tip a powerful shot from Miroslav Stoch over the crossbar. Then Vittek, who scored twice against Italy, directed his shot too close to the goalkeeper seconds later.

Vittek’s penalty kick goal tied him with Argentina forward Gonzalo Higuain for the tournament scoring lead with four goals.

“We played with heart and courage and we are proud that we made it to the second round, but the better team advanced,” Weiss said. “The penalty made us feel a little better on the flight home.”

The Netherlands reached consecutive World Cup finals in 1974 and 1978 but lost both—to Germany and Argentina, respectively. Its only major tournament victory was the 1988 European Championship.

• SRC Member

:score:Brazil beats Chile 3-0 to reach WCup quarterfinals

By TALES AZZONI, Associated Press Writer

4 hours, 33 minutes ago

JOHANNESBURG (AP)—Brazil moved closer to a sixth World Cup title on Monday, beating South American rival Chile 3-0 to reach the quarterfinals.

Juan, Luis Fabiano and Robinho scored a goal each at Ellis Park.

“It was a very good performance for Brazil,” playmaker Kaka said. “I’m happy with how we played. It shows that we are improving after each match, just as planned.”

Center back Juan gave his team the lead in the 35th minute with a firm header from a corner, sending the ball into the upper left corner and past the outstretched arms of Chile goalkeeper Claudio Bravo.

Luis Fabiano added to the lead from a fast breakaway in the 38th, receiving a one-touch pass from Kaka and rounding Bravo before scoring into an open net. Robinho started the play with a run on the left side before finding Kaka at the edge of the area.

Robinho then scored his first goal in World Cups with a shot from the edge of the area in the 59th. Ramires’ strong run drew three defenders, and he laid the ball off for Robinho to shoot inside the far post.

“We can say that the superiority of Brazil was too much for us,” Chile coach Marcelo Bielsa said. “We were unable to slow them down.”

It was Robinho’s seventh goal in Brazil’s past six matches against Chile. He put his hands into the air in celebration at the final whistle, rushing to hug his teammates at midfield.

“I’m very happy with my first goal in a World Cup and with the victory of my team,” Robinho said.

Brazil’s quarterfinal opponent will be the Netherlands, which beat Slovakia 2-1 earlier Monday in Durban.

“Now it’s a match between two traditional teams with great players,” Brazil captain Lucio said. “Now the matches will get harder and harder.”

Chile became the first of the five South American teams to be eliminated from the World Cup. Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay are still in the tournament along with Brazil.

“We leave the tournament knowing that we gave everything on the pitch,” Bravo said. “We are a very fragile team at times. We attack very well, but we have to know when to defend.”

Brazil has now reached the quarterfinals of the World Cup every time since the 1990 tournament in Italy, when it lost to Argentina in the second round. Brazil coach Dunga and assistant coach Jorginho were starters in that Brazil team.

“Chile played exceptionally well, they had a lot of possession of the ball,” Dunga said. “But Brazil was able to have balance and control.”

The victory in front of nearly 55,000 fans at Ellis Park was Brazil’s eighth consecutive win over Chile, and the result extended Brazil’s unbeaten streak against its continental rival to 10 matches. The last loss came in a World Cup qualifier in 2000.

Led by Argentine coach Bielsa, Chile was able to keep pace with the five-time champions in the beginning, threatening with some quick ball movement to try to surprise the Brazilians.

But Brazil quickly gained control of the match and created some of the most dangerous opportunities. After Juan’s first goal, the Brazilians took advantage of its speedy strikers to keep the pressure on the Chileans.

“When our opponent attacks like that, Brazil always creates a lot of chances,” Luis Fabiano said. “That was exactly what happened today and we took advantage of that.”

Chile was trying to advance past the second round for the first time since its home tournament in 1962, when it eventually lost to Brazil in the semifinals. Chile had also lost to Brazil the last time it reached the round of 16, a 4-1 result in the 1998 tournament in France.

Brazil again was without regular starter Elano because of a right ankle injury, while defensive midfielder Felipe Melo missed with a left ankle problem.

Chile was without several regular starters, including central defenders Gary Medel and Waldo Ponce because of yellow card suspensions, while Marco Estrada missed the match after being sent off against Spain.

Lineups:

Brazil: Julio Cesar, Maicon, Lucio, Juan, Michel Bastos, Gilberto Silva, Ramires, Daniel Alves, Kaka (Kleberson, 81), Robinho (Gilberto, 85), Luis Fabiano (Nilmar, 76).

Chile: Claudio Bravo, Ismael Fuentes, Mauricio Isla (Rodrigo Millar, 62), Alexis Sanchez, Pablo Contreras (Rodrigo Tello, 46), Carlos Carmona, Arturo Vidal, Mark Gonzalez (Jorge Valdivia, 46), Jean Beausejour, Gonzalo Jara, Humberto Suazo.

• SRC Member

:groupwavereversed:Brazil rediscovers its samba ways

By KARL RITTER, Associated Press Writer

3 hours, 35 minutes ago

JOHANNESBURG (AP)—Half hour into the World Cup’s second round, Brazil found its rhythm.

A hammer-strike header. A pinball-style counterattack. An explosive run followed by a clinical finish—Brazil’s football orchestra was playing in true harmony Monday for the first time in the tournament.

Coach Dunga said there’s still much to improve, but he must have been encouraged what in the 3-0 win over Chile at Ellis Park.

Chile is no pushover. It earned its place in the second round with victories over Switzerland and Honduras and a 2-1 loss to European champion Spain.

Against Brazil though, coach Marcelo Bielsa’s team never had a chance.

“It was likely our best match so far,” said Maicon, who struck the corner kick that set up Juan’s powerful header for 1-0. “We did well against a team that had been playing well so far in the tournament. It was important to show that we can come up with a good performance when needed.”

Until the Chile match, Brazil had been a letdown for its samba-dancing and demanding fans, who don’t just want to see Brazil win—they want to see Brazil win in style.

The team struggled to beat North Korea 2-1, improved in a 3-1 win against Ivory Coast but was held to a disappointing scoreless draw against Portugal.

The Brazilians appeared to be heading for another lackluster performance at Ellis Park, creating few moments of danger in the first half hour save for a long-distance shot by Gilberto Silva.

It all changed with Juan’s opening goal. Bielsa made two substitutions at halftime and a third 17 minutes into the second half as Chile pushed for an unlikely comeback. But it struggled to find ways past Brazil’s defense, while Dunga’s team seemed to come close in every other attack.

“We created a lot of scoring opportunities and didn’t give many chances to our opponent,” said Luis Fabiano, who scored the second goal on a fast break. “It shows that we are improving match after match, and this is important in a competition like the World Cup. We want to keep playing better and we did that today.”

Brazil and Chile split possession and the Brazilians just narrowly outshot their opponents, 17 to 15. Still, Chile never lacked precision in decisive moments, unlike Robinho, who scored his first goal of the World Cup after a dazzling run by Ramires.

“It was made perfectly clear today that there are distances between the big teams and our team,” Chile’s coach admitted.

“Perhaps the result could have been narrower,” Bielsa said. “But generally speaking, we can say that the superiority of Brazil was too much for us. We were unable to slow them down.”

Dunga said Brazil’s confidence is growing match by match. But he wouldn’t be drawn into talking about prospects of Brazil lifting the World Cup trophy for a record sixth time.

“Given the quality of the Brazilian players there is always this expectation that Brazil will be the winners,” Dunga said. “But being favorite doesn’t mean you will win the World Cup.”

• SRC Member

:pinch:US football chief to discuss coach’s future

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer

8 hours, 45 minutes ago

JOHANNESBURG (AP)—U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati says the American team did not meet his expectations at the World Cup and he will likely meet with Bob Bradley after the tournament to discuss the coach’s future.

Bradley was hired in December 2006 and has a contract running through the end of the year. The Americans were eliminated last weekend in the second round with a 2-1 overtime loss to Ghana.

“The team is capable of more,” Gulati said Monday. “The players know it. Bob knows it. And so at that level we’re disappointed we didn’t get to play another 90 minutes at least.”

Gulati described Bradley as being “very disappointed” with the team’s outcome.

“The missed opportunity is partly a chance to get to the quarters and the matchup with Uruguay, but it’s also a missed opportunity to stay in the American public’s eyes for another four, five, six days, maybe 10 days, when interest is at an all-time high,” Gulati said.

Gulati said there was a chance he would start discussions with Bradley later Monday before the coach returned to the United States, but extensive talks probably will wait until Gulati traveled back after the World Cup final on July 11.

“I want to hear his views, express some of mine and see what makes sense,” Gulati said. “He’s done a very good job. I want to make that very clear. … When we’ve had our `A’ team, the record is pretty darn good. … The problem is that our expectations have risen pretty sharply and there have been some performances where we didn’t play as well as we would have liked.”

Gulati said a coach can do only so much.

“It ultimately comes down to players,” he said. “The expectations have to be realistic. The players that are representing the U.S. are not players at Arsenal and Inter and Real Madrid and Barcelona and Chelsea and Manchester United and so on. The players we were playing against in some of these situations are.”

Before Bradley was hired, Gulati held talks with former Germany coach Juergen Klinsmann, who lives in California. Klinsmann withdrew after Major League Soccer refused to guarantee access to players for the CONCACAF Gold Cup and the Copa America in 2007.

A member of Germany’s World Cup team in 1990, 1994 and 1998, Klinsmann coached the Germans to a third-place finish as host in 2006. He agreed in January 2008 to become coach of Bayern Munich the following summer, but was fired in April 2009 with the club in third place in the Bundesliga following its quarterfinal elimination from the Champions League. Klinsmann then moved back to California with his family, and last month he wouldn’t say whether he’d be interested in taking over the U.S. team.

For Gulati, domestic and foreign coaches both have advantages.

“Having someone who understands the mentality of Americans and American players is a plus,” he said. “On the other side of that, it’s also a plus to have played in a World Cup final and coached in a World Cup final, and we don’t have anyone that fits that in the United States.”

A charismatic coach would assist in marketing the team.

“Would we be in the news and capture some interest by doing that? Sure. But we capture far more interest by having a good team, so that’s the critical element,” Gulati said.

• SRC Member

:agreed:Wake up and smell the English roses

By Ben Tan, Yahoo! Southeast Asia

Monday June 28, 2010 04:02 am PDT

So England has crashed out of yet another World Cup. How can they rebuild their reputation as a world-class footballing nation?

I’ve said before that the English football team is a collection of overrated individuals who have bought into their own hype. Their match against Germany last night cruelly exposed their shortcomings.

Dark days loom ahead for English football unless sweeping changes are implemented.

1. Get your ‘head’ straight

England needs a new manager. Not to say that Fabio Capello should be vilified for the team’s poor performance. In fact, I feel that without him, the English would most probably have gone the way of France and Italy: kicked out at the group stage by less glamorous opposition. His track record speaks for itself and he did at least put some roar back in the Three Lions.

However his pragmatic brand of football cannot be sustained by his charges. Capello’s stifling tactics need players of a certain technical capability who play the game with a cold and calculated approach. Sadly, England’s players just aren’t good enough to produce that level of football yet.

Instead of wasting all that money on his contract, it is time to cut costs and hire an interim coach, to manage things and maybe try to qualify for the odd tournament or two, but with considerably less expectations. A former player who has seen it all before might just be able to steady the ship for a few years, letting his reputation rule the dressing room.

Potential candidates: Stuart Pearce, Alan Shearer

2. Expect to do well… after 2018

The money saved on the coach can then be invested into a new generation of players that must be bred: skilled in the basics, and schooled with a more cerebral approach of modern football. Too often England has relied on its “bulldog” spirit to paper over the cracks in their deficiencies, drawing upon sheer will and determination to propel them to victory, but romanticism can only get a team so far if it lacks the substance to back their claims. In this day and age where comprehensive scouting reports are the norm and tactical planning is foremost on every team’s mind, having 10 Englishmen running around like headless chickens on the pitch is one of the biggest and saddest jokes in football.

The FA must accept the fact that English football will be on the decline for the next few years. They have to think past the immediate future and plan for the World Cup in 2018. That would mean targeting the current batch of 14-16 year olds as future Lions. The setting up of St George’s Park National Football Centre is a good start, if only they can complete the project.

Only by doing so will England have a chance at producing World-Cup-worthy talent. Unlike the current squad, the added internal competition for places due to the larger talent pool may spur this new wave of players to work harder to improve, knowing full well that one misstep and they could be out of the reckoning. The same cannot be said of Gerrard and co, who knew all along that come what may, they will always be on the team sheet due to the lack of alternative options and stature in the public eye.

Just think: England won’t be a ‘kick and rush’ team anymore.

3. Forget the hype – get real

John Terry, “best centre back in the world”. Statements like these fire the imagination of a public that has craved a bona fide footballing hero for 44 years. Alas, the likes of Terry, Gerrard and Rooney just cannot compare to the legends that are Moore, Charlton and Hurst. Calling their bluff, this ‘golden generation’ of players is nothing but a shadow of glories past.

England must learn to do away with the hype. Much of it is self-generated, whipped into such a frenzy that everyone starts to believe in something that just doesn’t exist. The English tabloids must be more objective in its expectations for the side. I too, have had delusions of grandeur for the Three Lions which was a direct result of what I read in the papers, but that stupor has been replaced by the cold reality that everything I’ve believed in is all a construct of a hyperactive press.

Imagine: For once England fans will be humble and acknowledge that other teams are just better.

This World Cup must be the catalyst for change. It will be painful as the truth always hurts, but the English do need to wake up and stop believing the lie that they are a world class team, or forever be tragic losers on football’s greatest stage.

• SRC Member

:thumbdown:Capello saga puts spotlight on World Cup hot seat

By JOHN PYE, AP Sports Writer

40 minutes ago

JOHANNESBURG (AP)—As much as Fabio Capello may want to remain England coach, he’s no doubt aware that his fate will be decided as much by the public as by the Football Association officials who’ve told him they need time to decide whether to keep him.

That’s the way it is at the World Cup. Win and you’re a hero. Lose and you’re out of a job—whether that’s because you don’t want the pressure anymore or you get fired.

The coaches of the five African teams eliminated in the first round, including South Africa’s veteran Brazilian manager, Carlos Alberto Parreira, have either already quit or have their positions under review.

Sven-Goran Eriksson, who only had three months in charge at Ivory Coast, said he was only on a contract for the World Cup. He could probably offer Capello some advice—after all, the Swede agreed to resign as English coach in 2006 despite guiding the Three Lions to the quarterfinals at the World Cup and the European Championship.

While the English media went into overdrive Monday in its criticism of the current team and coach, bookmakers were taking wagers on the likelihood of Capello being fired before the July 11 World Cup final. Capello announced after England’s 4-1 second-round loss to Germany on Sunday that he “absolutely” wanted to fulfill a contract that runs up to the 2012 European Championship.

He met with FA board member Dave Richards, who told Capello he’d get a decision on his future in two weeks.

“At the moment, no one is betting that he can see the tournament out, let alone the year,” said Graham Sharpe, a spokesman for gambling firm William Hill.

Before the World Cup, Capello was touted as the kind of strict disciplinarian that England’s star players needed to harmonize into a winning combination. He improved his resume with nine wins in 10 qualifying matches. Now he’s in limbo.

Several coaches with World Cup experience were aware of the no-win situation for underperforming coaches and announced before the tournament that they’d be stepping down regardless of results in South Africa.

That saved the Italian and French federations having to fire Marcello Lippi and Raymond Domenech—opposing coaches in the 2006 final—after horrendous first-round exits. France’s debacle prompted a government review. Lippi’s Italians, winners in 2006, returned to taunts of “Shame on you” in Rome this time.

“When something like this happens, it’s always the leader’s fault,” Lippi said. “I thought I played an important role when the team won, so it’s only fair to have had just as big an impact in this failure.”

Pim Verbeek left the Australian job for Morocco with debate raging Down Under over his tactics in an opening loss to Germany, despite the subsequent draw with Ghana and win over Serbia. New Zealand finished a point less than Australia in another group, but coach Ricki Herbert was feted as a national hero for guiding the Kiwis in three unbeaten matches (they were all ties).

Javier Aguirre said before the World Cup that he’d consider jobs in Europe after the tournament, but backed down amid a rush of criticism about his commitment to the Mexican team. After Mexico’s second-round loss to Argentina, he’s expected to look for a club contract. U.S. coach Bob Bradley didn’t want to discuss his future after an extra-time, second-round loss to Ghana, the only African team still in the tournament.

While Diego Maradona has shrugged off most of the pre-Cup criticism of his coaching methods in qualifying by guiding Argentina to four straight wins and is already telling his critics to hang their heads in shame, Vicente Del Bosque is still very much in the hot seat after taking over a European Championship-winning Spain.

Spain won 25 of 26 internationals after Del Bosque replaced Luis Aragones following Spain’s victory at Euro 2008, but opened the World Cup with its first ever loss to Switzerland, a dent to its early favoritism for the title.

Much attention has been on Del Bosque’s formation, which seems to blunt the attacking instinct of the team, but he’s prepared to stake his reputation on results, even if he’s winning ugly. His next big test comes Tuesday in a second-round match against Portugal.

Brazil coach Dunga’s position is fairly safe, along with his counterparts from Chile and Paraguay, who took their teams into the second round. Brazil beat Chile 3-0 in the second round on Monday night.

South Africa was the first host nation not to progress past the group stage, despite a stirring win over France in its last match.

The most-traveled of the World Cup coaches put the job into perspective when he said he’d earned the right to “take it easy.”

It was a sixth World Cup as coach for the 67-year-old Carlos Alberto Parreira, who guided his native Brazil to the 1994 title after leading Kuwait in 1982 and the United Arab Emirates in 1990. He took Saudi Arabia to France in 1998—when he was fired after losing two matches. Then he returned to Brazil for the 2006 World Cup, which ended in a quarterfinal defeat.

“South Africa allowed me to be the first coach to participate in six World Cups. It’s a privilege, an honor and I am deeply grateful,” Parreira said. “This team now has an identity and, if I am proud of anything, it’s that I have given this team an identity.”

• SRC Member

:welldone:Chile mourns World Cup exit but sees bright future

4 hours, 42 minutes ago

By Molly Rosbach

SANTIAGO (Reuters) - Chilean fans grieved their team’s World Cup exit after a crushing defeat against Brazil, but kept upbeat about the future of the young squad after their best performance at the tournament in decades.

Chile’s transformation from a splintered team with little talent just a few years ago into a disciplined, attacking unit under Argentine coach Marcelo Bielsa yielded two wins and much praise at the South Africa tournament.

The team was no match for star-studded Brazil, however, who put on a show in their 3-0 victory to book a quarter-final clash against Netherlands.

:thumbsup:“We have lost but it doesn’t matter because we will be champions in the next World Cup,” said Juan Serna, a 22-year-old student wearing the team’s bright red jersey. “We have the players to win the next cup.”

Far from the rowdy scenes that greeted the team’s group victories over Switzerland and Honduras and their loss to Spain that secured passage to the second round, dejected fans headed home early from pubs and public squares.

Fans, hundreds of whom had huddled in hopes of a miracle win against five-times champions Brazil, said their young team had helped lift the spirits of a nation still reeling from a massive earthquake in February that killed over 500 people and wiped out coastal villages in the country’s south.

“I want to thank each and everyone of our players … let’s never forget that Chile is set for great victories in the future, so let’s cheer up because better times are coming,” Chile President Sebastian Pinera told reporters after the match.

The streets of the capital Santiago remained mostly quiet during a religious holiday on Monday, in contrast to earlier celebrations that saw police make mass arrests.

While no major incidents were recorded after the match, some 40 people were detained during the day for public disorder, police said.

The team’s best World Cup showing in nearly 50 years has prompted some towns to propose naming streets and plazas after players like captain Claudio Bravo.

“I’m a little sad because we have lost, but happy for what the team has done,” said Carla Pulgar, 24, who had her face painted with Chile’s red and blue colors.

:friends:“Our happiness may be over, but we are going to go forward stronger than before because of the way the World Cup united us.”

(Reporting by Molly Rosbach; Writing by Alonso Soto; Editing by Ian Ransom)

• SRC Member

:look:Slovaks head home as heroes with bonuses in the bag

20 minutes ago

By Sonia Oxley

DURBAN, June 29 (Reuters) - Slovakia had already hit the jackpot by qualifying for their first World Cup and now go home with the bonuses of knocking out the holders, reaching the last 16 and building up experience for next time round.

Coach Vladimir Weiss has nurtured a group of players who work well as a team, have pace on the wings and a cutting edge up front. They showed it best last week in the 3-2 win over Italy and by no means embarrassed themselves in Monday’s 2-1 defeat by Netherlands.

“It was a good result just to get here, anything else was a bonus,” midfielder Vladimir Weiss, son of the coach, told reporters. “We hope we can come back to many World Cups in the future.”

In their first Group F game against New Zealand they learnt a painful lesson when they conceded an equaliser in the last minute of added time, while in the next match against Paraguay they were simply outclassed and stunted in attack.

They fixed the mistakes from both matches and pulled together to achieve what had looked impossible when they were sitting bottom of the table—a stylish victory over Italy and a place in the knockout round.

They tried the same approach against Netherlands but were torn apart by winger Arjen Robben, who coach Weiss called a “genius”, and were punished for wasting chances.

“If we lost, I think it was because of lack of experience,” midfielder Miroslav Stoch told reporters.

“This is our first time in the World Cup. We beat Italy, we were heroes. It was fantastic, I hope next time it will be better.”

Having tasted life on the big stage, the players have an appetite for more and with many in their early or mid twenties, the backbone is there for a good team for several more years.

“Our players showed heart and courage and good football,” said the proud coach.

Their exploits have won them many fans at home, where ice hockey is the number one sport, and players have often said they have now breathed new life into the sport in Slovakia.

“We have not disappointed fans at all,” said captain Marek Hamsik, who along with defender Martin Skrtel were the only established names in the Slovakia side before the tournament.

They have now showcased the goalscoring talents of Robert Vittek and the speed of Stoch and they lasted longer than the likes of France and Italy in South Africa.

(Editing by Michael Holden)

• SRC Member

:thumbdown:Ronaldo reacts to post-defeat close-up by spitting

Tue Jun 29 05:16pm EDT

By Brooks Peck

The World Cup quarterfinals are now set, but some people would rather question Cristiano Ronaldo's bodily functions than focus on that. "Did Ronaldo spit towards the cameraman as he trudged off the pitch following Portugal's 1-0 loss to Spain in the round of 16?"Certainly there are more pressing questions to take away from the match, but as the camera got right up next to the upset superstar, he looked directly into the lens and hocked a loogie at the ground in front of its operator.

Whether done with rude intentions or not, the immediate reaction from many on Twitter was to accuse him of acting like a sore loser. The Daily Mail, meanwhile, is going with the easy headline of: "Cristiano Ronaldo's Spitting Mad at TV Camera after Portugal Exit" and Irish television pundits are debating the intent.

In the 2006 World Cup it was a wink to the Portuguese bench after Wayne Rooney was sent off in England's quarterfinal loss to Portugal that turned some fans against Cristiano Ronaldo. This time his lasting World Cup image could be a wad of spit.

It wasn't a great World Cup for Ronaldo. He scored just one goal in the only game Portugal wasn't held scoreless -- their 7-0 win over North Korea -- and despite the captain's efforts to carry his team, he just didn't get enough help to go deep into the tournament. With his over-gelled style and god-like confidence, Ronaldo has always been a "love him or hate him" type guy and the severity of your opinion of his final act on a 2010 World Cup pitch will probably depend on whether you have his picture in a frame or speared to your dartboard.

post-2609-12778637763823_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

:thumbdown:Disappointing Ronaldo hears booboo-zelas

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

2 hours, 55 minutes ago

CAPE TOWN, South Africa – With Portugal’s comeback hopes against Spain fading quickly, Cristiano Ronaldo – its captain, star and supposed savior – found himself with just enough space to attempt a long, 30-yard shot.

Spain led 1-0 and while it wasn’t a prime scoring chance, here deep into the desperate 89th minute, with Portuguese scoring opportunities scarce, it was at least something.

So here was the highest-paid player in the world ($17.1 million a year). Here was the hero of one of the world’s biggest clubs, Real Madrid. Here was the focus of television ads and magazine covers.

And here came a shot that was mostly muffed, pathetically skidding slow and wide of the net.

Soon came boos and whistles and screams of anger from the Portuguese faithful. Ronaldo continued to wear a look of deep frustration and minutes later when the game was done and Spain had won, he walked solemnly off the pitch. With a camera in his face he spit at the ground. He stopped to speak to no one on either team, skipped the traditional postgame jersey trade and just hustled to the tunnel.

Just like that, just like Portugal’s World Cup hopes, Cristiano Ronaldo, the Invisible Man, was gone.

There was no shame in losing to this tremendous Spanish side. They entered this tournament as the favorite having ceded no position heading into a quarterfinal game with Paraguay on Saturday.

“I think Spain’s victory is justified,” Portugal coach Carlos Queiroz said.

The performance of Ronaldo is a different issue and will be sure to dominate discussion in Portugal.

It’s one thing to lose. It’s another to lose with your best player appearing so disinterested and distrustful. Ronaldo was seemingly born for a moment like this, the chance to allow his own ability to deliver a dramatic victory on the game’s grandest stage. Instead, there was little sense of urgency. It wasn’t until the 16th minute that he had a significant possession. In what should’ve been the furious second half, that meager miss was his only shot.

For Ronaldo, the expectations are different, the demands greater. Talent has delivered him riches and fame. It also brings pressure and responsibility.

In four World Cup games in South Africa, his brilliance came out in bits. While he kept being named “FIFA Man of the Match,” he was sheepish in accepting the award. That honor is voted online by fans worldwide, which means it can break down into a popularity contest.

He spent far too much time rejecting the team concept, instead resorting to public pouts and referee complaints.

For his great ability, Ronaldo again struggled to engage his teammates. If he wasn’t going to produce some individual genius to carry Portugal, then he needed to lift his teammates to heights they didn’t believe possible. He needed to lead this team. Somehow. Some way.

When he didn’t, when what appeared to be a heartless, defeated effort was over, those fans let him have it.

The first press conference question for Queiroz, the Portugal coach, was whether he regretted naming Ronaldo the captain of the team and not choosing someone with better leadership skills.

“That question is out of order I must say,” Queiroz declared.

In most circumstances it would be out of order. The consensus is that Ronaldo is one of the top two players in the world (along with Argentina’s Lionel Messi). Who else was going to be the captain?

Then again, after watching Ronaldo, it was a question in perfect order.

“We believed that he can do it,” Queiroz said. “He is our leader, our captain. This is a decision that belongs to the federation and our national team coach. Because we did that you must believe we did it for the right reasons and he can do it.”

Only he didn’t.

On his club team, Real Madrid, Ronaldo is a better team player. The theory goes that, while surrounded by some of the best players on the planet, he is more confident in giving up the ball or helping set up a teammate for a scoring chance. On Portugal, where he is clearly the brightest star, that confidence appears to fade.

For Portugal, this felt like a wasted opportunity to do something special. The Portuguese are no weak sister. They made the semifinals in 2006. Yet there needs to be great fortune for a nation of just 10 million to make a run at a World Cup, certainly when Brazil (population: 193 million), Germany (81 million) and Spain (47 million) and Argentina (40 million) are on their games.

That good fortune is having one of the best players in the world on your side, something Portugal just can’t count on happening every time.

Right now is when they have Cristiano Ronaldo, who all the hype says was capable of making magic. So it is right now when Portugal fans traveled to the end of the continent to see their great player lead them.

Instead, he walked silently into the tunnel with his countrymen’s boos falling all about him.

• SRC Member

:welldone:Japan applauds team after World Cup exit

By JAY ALABASTER, Associated Press Writer

49 minutes ago

TOKYO (AP)—Japan fans have applauded their national soccer team after its bid to make the quarter finals of the World Cup for the first time fell inches short.

Thousands of fans swarmed the streets of Tokyo decked in their blue uniforms in an early morning drizzle, chanting and cheering despite a grueling loss to Paraguay that sent the “Samurai Blue” out of the tournament.

The teams fought to a scoreless draw through extra time, then Japan lost on penalties after defender Yuichi Komano sent his shot just high and it caromed off the crossbar.

Japan advanced to the round of 16 for the first time ever outside of its home country. Little was expected of the team, ranked 45th in the world and in poor form during warm-up games.

But fans were captivated after first-round victories against Cameroon and Denmark. For Wednesday’s game, bars and restaurants in Tokyo were standing room only despite the 11 p.m. local time kickoff, with patrons watching raptly throughout the match and some breaking down into tears after.

“This really hurts, I thought we could do it,” said Ase Yokoyama, 21, a university student who stayed out into the early hours to watch the game with his friends in the central Shibuya district.

“But this team was the most fun of any national team so far.”

The celebration started hours before the game, as revelers with Japanese flags painted on their faces and blue vuvuzela horns poured into the city center. With many shops sold out of national team jerseys, fans snapped up plain blue T-shirts and drew on logos and numbers.

After the loss, thousands crammed into Shibuya’s central crossing, dancing and singing in support of their team despite the rain and early hour. Dozens of police arrived in large riot buses to keep carousers away from traffic and make fruitless pleas for everyone to go home.

The result was front-page news on all the major newspapers Wednesday morning, and TV news shows repeatedly played highlights of Japan’s four games. The team last advanced when it hosted the World Cup with South Korea in 2002.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan issued a statement thanking the team.

“The players and the bench were united and showed the world the potential of Japanese soccer. I sincerely congratulate their efforts,” he said.

Many fans chanted in support of coach Takeshi Okada, who was widely ridiculed before the tournament when he still set a goal of reaching the semifinals despite the team floundering. Some still questioned his tactics.

“It’s tough to lose on penalties, we should have put more firepower on during extra time and gone for the win,” said Hideyuki Ikeda, 27.

• SRC Member

:friends:Japan fans crushed but grateful for surprise run

1 hour, 59 minutes ago

TOKYO, June 30 (Reuters) - Japanese soccer fans were crushed with their team’s penalty shoot-out loss to Paraguay but grateful for the Blue Samurai’s surprise run to reach the knockout round of the World Cup.

“I’m very disappointed, but I thank our team who let us hope and dream,” 27-year-old Ryosuke Takashita said at a Tokyo sports bar, where more than 500 fans cheered their national team throughout the scoreless 120 minutes.

The second-round match at Ellis Park ended goalless after extra time and the South Americans netted a perfect five penalties while Japan’s Yuichi Komano hit the bar with his team’s third shot.

“At the beginning of the World Cup, nobody, even us, expected much from them, but they advanced to the second round to delight us,” 24-year-old supporter Fumiya Inaba told Reuters.

“I want to say thank you to them.”

Japan, who carried the hopes of Asia as the region’s sole remaining team, reached the tournament’s knockout round for only the second time and the first on foreign soil.

Although their running into space repeatedly stretched the Paraguay defence, they were unable to reprise the flowing attacks that had torn Denmark apart in their group decider.

“The Japanese players were not as agile as they were in previous games. But the way they courageously battled with Paraguay until the bitter end deserves the nickname Blue Samurai,” the Yomiuri newspaper wrote.

(Reporting by Hyun Oh; Editing by Ian Ransom)

• SRC Member

:thumbdown:Blundering refs cut from World Cup list

By ROBERT MILLWARD, AP Football Writer

9 hours, 9 minutes ago

JOHANNESBURG (AP)— Uruguay’s Jorge Larrionda and Italy’s Roberto Rosetti, whose blunders have prompted FIFA to rethink using video technology, won’t play any further part in the World Cup.

They were left off the list of 19 referees announced by FIFA Tuesday to take part in the rest of the competition although football’s world governing body gave no explanation.

Larrionda and his linesman failed to see an England shot clearly cross the line in a 4-1 loss to Germany in a second round game on Sunday.

Frank Lampard’s shot hit the bar and bounced down behind the line before spinning back into play. It would have made the score 2-2.

Rosetti wrongly awarded a goal to Argentina’s Carlos Tevez against Mexico when he took Lionel’s Messi’s pass in a clearly offside position. It was Argentina’s first in a 3-1 victory which put the team into the last eight.

The mistakes prompted FIFA president Sepp Blatter to announce that he had apologized to England and Mexico after the errors helped eliminate their teams from the World Cup.

“Naturally, we deplore when you see the evidence of referees’ mistakes,” said Blatter, adding it would be “a nonsense” for FIFA not to look again at goal-line technology with its rule-making panel.

“After having witnessed such a situation,” Blatter said, “we have to open again this file, definitely. Naturally, we will take on board again the discussion about technology. Something has to be changed.”

Two more left out for the remainder of the competition were Koman Coulibaly of Mali, who disallowed a third United States goal in a 2-2 draw with Slovenia, and French ref Stephane Lannoy who harshly sent off Brazil’s Kaka for a second yellow after Ivory Coast’s Kader Keita ran into him while going for the ball.

Those left on the list include some from countries no longer involved in the competition.

England’s Howard Webb has become one of the favorites to referee the final and so has Frank De Bleekere of Belgium, which didn’t qualify.

The amended list includes six from Europe, four from South America, three from Asia, three from North, Central America and the Caribbean (CONCACAF), two from Africa and one from Oceania.

From these, FIFA will select the officials for the last eight games from the quarterfinals onwards.

• SRC Member

:angry2:Bad calls prompt FIFA to study high-tech ref help

By GRAHAM DUNBAR, AP Sports Writer

7 hours, 53 minutes ago

JOHANNESBURG (AP)— Upon further review, soccer’s governing body now agrees that something must be done about the blatant missed calls that have infuriated fans and players alike at the World Cup.

Just what that something is, though, won’t even be addressed until after the tournament in South Africa is over.

A high-tech solution is possible, but it probably would address only that most egregious of refereeing mistakes: whether or not the ball crosses the goal line. Even putting the idea on the table, however, is a concession for an organization that has long insisted that errors by officials are simply part of the game.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said Tuesday that changes will be considered, and that he has apologized to the English and Mexican teams, both of which were victims of bad calls Sunday. Several other teams were incorrectly denied or granted goals earlier in the World Cup.

Blatter said “something has to be changed” to prevent similar embarrassments in the future.

“After having witnessed such a situation,” Blatter said, “we have to open again this file, definitely.”

In 2008, Blatter said soccer should be left with errors and that officiating should be left to “a man, not a machine.” But on Tuesday he said, “It would be a nonsense to not reopen the file of technology.”

The International Football Association Board will consider the issue at a July meeting in Cardiff, Wales. There’s no guarantee Blatter’s promise to revisit the use of the latest technology means he has changed his mind, or that it will lead to new procedures at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

FIFA has resisted using high-tech solutions numerous times before, saying it wants the game to be played—and officiated—the same whether it’s a rec team or England’s Premier League. FIFA also can block any proposed rule changes that come before the IFAB.

But by promising to study the issue after this tournament, Blatter can silence his critics for now and return the spotlight to the first World Cup on the African continent, what he considers the crowning achievement of his long career.

Soccer has steadfastly refused to make changes while major sports including tennis, American football, baseball and hockey have employed video replay and other high-tech gadgets to help officials get calls right.

Then came the cascade of officiating errors at this World Cup, none worse than the blunders that hurt England and Mexico as they were knocked out of the second round Sunday.

England was denied a goal against Germany when Frank Lampard’s shot bounced off the crossbar and over the goal line. If the goal had been given by Uruguayan referee Jorge Larrionda, England would have tied the game at 2-2 in the 38th minute. Germany won the match 4-1.

Hours later, Italian referee Roberto Rosetti awarded Argentina a goal despite Carlos Tevez clearly being offside. Argentina went on to beat Mexico 3-1.

Both Larrionda and Rosetti have been left off the list of referees for the rest of the World Cup.

FIFPro, the group that represents pro players worldwide, issued a statement afterward saying that referees should have access to high-tech assistance.

“The entire football world once again reacted with disbelief to FIFA’s stubborn insistence that technology does not belong in football,” FIFPro said. “The credibility of the sport is at stake.”

At a media briefing Tuesday, FIFA’s head of refereeing, Jose-Maria Garcia-Aranda, repeatedly insisted it was not for officials to determine what the rules of the game should be. But English ref Howard Webb, who officiated last month’s Champions League final, said he appreciates any help he can get, so long as it doesn’t affect the character of the game.

“I’m open-minded about anything that makes us more credible as match officials,” Webb said. “Whatever tools I am given I will use them to the best of my ability, and I will use all the experience I have to try to come to the correct decisions.”

Blatter was at both the England and Mexico matches, and apologized to soccer officials from each country.

“The English said, ‘Thank you.’ The Mexicans, they just (nodded),” Blatter said. “I understand that they are not happy. It was not a five-star game for refereeing.”

In the past, the IFAB has considered placing a microchip in the ball to signal when it crosses the goal-line as well as using the camera-based Hawk-Eye replay system that tennis uses. But it rejected both on principle.

Such systems could have helped England against Germany when the referee did not see the ball cross the goal line. But they would not help when the issue is an offside call or a foul, as it was in the Mexico-Argentina game and all the earlier questionable goal calls of the World Cup.

With calls “like in the Mexico game, we don’t need technology,” Blatter said.

And Denmark’s Peter Mikkelsen Scheef, a member of FIFA’s Referees Committee, placed the blame in that game squarely on Rosetti, who officiated at the 2008 European Championship final.

“(Rosetti) was not sharp enough, not focused enough, and that is an error that the technology cannot change anything about,” Peter Mikkelsen Scheef told Denmark’s TV2 channel.

Philip Pritchard, president of the Welsh Football Federation, said goal-line technology has to be perfect before it can be approved.

“Ninety-nine percent (accurate) is no better than what we’ve got” now, Pritchard said.

One thing that is certain is that FIFA will update its referee training program. FIFA has set a deadline of this fall to create a new concept for improving communication and decision-making among match officials at top tournaments, Blatter said.

He also said FIFA spent $40 million on a program to prepare match officials worldwide before selecting 30 referees and 60 assistants to work in South Africa.

“They have their eyes, their perception of the game,” Blatter said. “So let’s make that better and hope we are going forward.”

• SRC Member

:peace:Komano luck ends with penalty miss for Japan

By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports

11 hours, 47 minutes ago

PRETORIA, South Africa — As he fought a losing battle with tears and felt the pain of his nation, the player they call “Lucky” didn’t feel very fortunate at all.

Japanese defender Yuichi Komano became the first player to miss an end-game penalty kick of this World Cup as the dreaded shootout raised its head for the first time, knocking out Japan in its round-of-16 game against Paraguay.

Komano’s fierce drive crashed against the crossbar for what was the only miss as Paraguay clinched a place in the quarterfinals and Japan headed for the exit door. As he saw the pained expressions on the faces of teammates and fans, he felt his own private agony. The remarkable journey Komano had taken just to reach the World Cup suddenly paled in insignificance.

Komano, 29, was a rising star in Japan until a series of injuries and ailments nearly sidelined his career before it really got started. In 2003, he damaged the cruciate ligaments in his knee; but that turned out to be a good thing. While he was hospitalized, a quick-thinking doctor performed a check that revealed he had venous thrombosis, a dangerous blood clot that could have been life-threatening.

Komano recovered and returned in time for the 2004 Summer Olympics, but he broke his collarbone playing in Athens. A month later, he was diagnosed with uveitis, an eye disease that can cause blindness in many of its sufferers.

Against the odds, he battled back and forced his way onto the national team, sporting his new nickname. He claimed his place at this World Cup, only to be dealt the cruelest of blows by one of sports’ cruelest ways to decide a game.

“I tried to send the ball straight into the top corner,” said Komano, struggling to control his emotions. “I hit it well but it flew just a little bit too high and hit the frame of the goal. I am sorry for this — sorry to my teammates and my country.”

Penalty shootouts have no room for sentiment. If they did, Komano’s shot would have taken a fortunate bounce off the bar and nestled neatly into the net. Instead, it bounced off the woodwork and off into the night, a few inches removed from glory.

The penalty kicks came after Japan and Paraguay played out one of the tournament’s dullest games, a 0-0 draw between two sides which never looked likely to break the deadlock during regular or extra time.

Some will argue that Japan’s cautious approach didn’t deserve victory anyway. But no player really deserves the fate of Komano — especially one who has overcome such obstacles to appear in the tournament.

Komano may be the first man to miss in an end-game shootout during this World Cup, but he doesn’t figure to be the last. Penalty kicks are upon us again, destined to leave a trail of tears in their wake.

post-2609-12778797480603_thumb.jpg

post-2609-12778797611807_thumb.jpg

post-2609-12778797709891_thumb.jpg

post-2609-12778797867717_thumb.jpg

post-2609-12778798068136_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

:ooh:Nigeria's president suspends soccer team

BASHIR ADIGUN and JON GAMBRELL, AP - 4 minutes ago

ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) -- The president of Nigeria suspended the national football team from international competition for two years after its poor showing at the World Cup, his spokesman said Wednesday.

The announcement by President Goodluck Jonathan's spokesman also follows corruption allegations which surrounded the team in the run-up to the competition. Spokesman Ima Niboro said all funds directed toward the Nigeria Football Federation would be examined and "all those found wanting will be sanctioned."

Niboro gave no other specifics about the investigation into the team, other than saying Jonathan's decision came after reading a report submitted by the presidential football task force. Federation spokesman Ademola Olajire told The Associated Press that he had no information about the suspension.

"We have not been directed," Olajire said. "We have no letter" from the president.

Nigeria's state-run television broadcaster made only a brief mention of the suspension Wednesday afternoon, first saying the president wanted to build a "permanent football house" for the program.

The Nigerian Television Authority newscaster also said that Jonathan promised the government "would investigate misapplication of funds during the 2010 World Cup."

The Nigerian Football Federation's executive committee had earlier tendered an apology to the government and "all football loving Nigerians" for the early exit.

Nigeria left the World Cup competition with just one point, which it earned in a 2-2 draw with South Korea in its last game. Nigeria lost to Argentina 1-0 in its Group B opener and fell to Greece 2-1 in a game turned by the first-half expulsion of midfielder Sani Kaita.

The Nigerians haven't won a World Cup match since 1998, having two losses and a draw in 2002 and failing to qualify for the 2006 World Cup.

The team, nicknamed the Super Eagles by loyal supporters and the Super Chickens by dissenters, faced almost countrywide derision after finishing third in the African Cup of Nations earlier in the year.

Nigeria fired coach Shaibu Amodu in February and later hired Swedish coach Lars Lagerback to take charge with only about four months before the World Cup.

But local newspapers questioned Lagerback's selection and made allegations about endemic bribery in the program. The football federation also had to pay a reported $125,000 fee to cancel its reservations at the Hampshire Hotel north of Durban in South Africa. Nigerian officials apparently complained the three-star hotel was noisy, mosquito-infested and unsafe.

Analysts and watchdog groups consider Nigeria, an oil-rich country of 150 million people, as having one of the world's most corrupt governments.

Nigeria now risks being banned by FIFA from all international football because of the political interference in the national administration of the sport.

"At the time of writing, we have no official information on this matter," FIFA said in a statement. "However, in general, FIFA's position regarding political interference in football is well known."

Nigeria's next scheduled international match is a qualifier for the 2012 African Cup of Nations, at home to Madagascar in early September.

FIFA statutes demand that national federations manage their affairs independently, or face suspension from world football.

National and club teams, plus referees, would be barred from participating in international matches and football officials are prevented from attending meetings.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter had already expressed concern over the French government's investigation into France's first-round exit from the World Cup.

"Definitely I can tell you that political interference will be dealt with by FIFA notwithstanding what kind of interference and what is the size of the country," Blatter said Tuesday.

Jon Gambrell reported from Lagos, Nigeria.

:shock:President suspends Nigeria national team

Reuters - 39 minutes ago

By Felix Onuah

ABUJA, June 30 (Reuters) - Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has suspended the national soccer team from international competition for two years following their poor performance in the World Cup, his office said on Wednesday.

"Mr President has directed that Nigeria will withdraw from all international football competition for the next two years to enable Nigeria to reorganise its football," Ima Niboro, Jonathan's senior communications adviser, told reporters.

"This directive became necessary following Nigeria's poor performance in the ongoing FIFA World Cup," he said.

Nigeria were knocked out in the first round.

After meeting the country's World Cup organising committee, Jonathan also said the accounts of the committee should be audited.

"If any financial misappropriation is discovered, all officials responsible will be held accountable," Niboro said.

Jonathan's decision came a day after the executive committee of the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) met to review the team's first round exit, in which they picked up a single point and finished bottom of their group also containing South Korea, Greece and Argentina.

FRIENDLY MATCHES

A statement said the federation apologised to the "federal government and all football-loving Nigerians for the early ouster of the Super Eagles from the World Cup" and added Nigeria would seek to play more friendly matches to get more experience.

The NFF said it wanted Swedish coach Lars Lagerback, appointed on the eve of the finals, to stay and put together a wide-ranging programme to harness young talent.

The statement also said the federation disagreed with those claiming Nigerian soccer was in a dwindling state.

"No previous board has qualified Nigeria for all major tournaments internationally," the statement said.

The government instruction to withdraw could prompt sanctions from FIFA, who have taken a strong stand against political interference in the sport.

A FIFA spokesman said: "We have had no official information from the Nigerian FA about this case specifically but in general FIFA's policy towards political interference is well known. Our statutes do not allow for any political interference."

Nigeria were set to begin their bid to qualify for the 2012 African Nations Cup finals in September against Madagascar.

(Writing by Randy Fabi, additional reporting by Mark Gleeson in Johannesburg; Editing by Nick Tattersall and Jon Bramley)

:oNigeria leader bans team after World Cup fiasco

AFP - 28 minutes ago

ABUJA, Nigeria (AFP) - Nigeria President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday banned the country's football team from international competition for two years following their dismal showing at the World Cup, his office said.

"President Goodluck Jonathan has directed that Nigeria withdraws from international competition for two years to enable the country to put its house in order," spokesman Ima Niboro told reporters after a weekly cabinet meeting.

Nigeria finished bottom of their group in South Africa with just one point from three matches.

They lost to Argentina and Greece and drew with South Korea.

Rotimi Amaechi, governor of a key oil-producing state, Rivers, who heads a special presidential task force on the World Cup campaign, said Nigeria would write to football's world governing body FIFA to explain its decision.

"We went to the World Cup and found all sorts of problems and we felt we should sit back and look inward," said Amaechi.

• SRC Member

:thumbdown:Political fallout from World Cup shame

Reuters - 22 minutes ago

By Barry Moody

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - World Cup shame had swift political repercussions on Wednesday when Nigeria's president suspended the national team and France's parliament held an inquest into their side's dismal failure.

While the competition went into two rest days before the quarter-finals, a senior adviser to Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan said he had suspended the side from international competition for two years following their poor performance in South Africa, where they went out in the first round.

"Mr President has directed that Nigeria will withdraw from all international football competition for the next two years to enable Nigeria to reorganize its football," Ima Niboro, Jonathan's senior communications adviser, told reporters.

While Nigeria licked their wounds, France was consumed by a political inquest after the team finished bottom of their group, despite a warning by soccer's governing body FIFA that this kind of interference could get the local federation suspended.

Outgoing coach Raymond Domenech and former federation president Jean-Pierre Escalettes, who resigned over the scandal, were summoned before a parliamentary commission on Wednesday.

Escalettes said he had felt helpless against a players' revolt when they refused to train in support of striker Nicolas Anelka who was sent home for insulting Domenech.

Government spokesman Luc Chatel, however, told reporters there was no interference in soccer affairs, merely an attempt to find out what had happened.

The tournament's break comes after three grueling weeks and 48 games that have ruined many reputations but set up enticing quarter-final duels between Europe and South America.

The reputations in ruins are mostly European and the names in lights are predominantly Latin although Ghana has saved the pride of Africa by equaling the continent's previous best result of reaching the quarter-finals.

BLACK STARS CARRY AFRICAN HOPES

The Black Stars will try to beat that record when they face Uruguay on Friday in Johannesburg's huge Soccer City stadium with the hopes of a continent on their backs and urged on by a deafening roar of vuvuzela trumpets.

While Europe has suffered some huge failures -- the elimination of holders Italy, 2006 runners up France and disappointing England -- Germany, Netherlands and Spain are carrying the flag high after good results in the last 16.

The progress of the tournament has also set up two of the best imaginable matches between the unbeaten Netherlands and five-times champions Brazil on Friday and Argentina -- the most exciting team here so far -- and a talented Germany on Saturday.

The other quarter final will pitch pre-tournament favorites Spain against Paraguay, probably the weakest team from a record four South Americans in the quarter-finals.

Tension built before the quarter-finals.

German midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger said the Argentines would try to provoke his young squad to throw them off their game.

He was in the side that beat Argentina on penalties in 2006 to move into the World Cup semi-finals. Several players and coaches clashed after the shootout.

The two sides have plenty of history. They met in consecutive World Cup finals in 1986, when Argentina won, and 1990 when the result was reversed.

It is not only nations whose reputations have suffered here. Most of the names who attracted most hype before the tournament have fizzled, some of them like England's Wayne Rooney, spectacularly.

Rooney, one of the Premier League's deadliest strikers, scarcely made a mark and was more notable for his scowl. But he was not alone.

The world's most expensive player, Cristiano Ronaldo, also spent more time pouting than playing stellar soccer and another premier league star, Ivory Coast's Didier Drogba, did not shine.

Samuel Eto'o, one of the most eagerly anticipated African players, could not prevent an early exit for Cameroon.

Africa's poor showing -- five of six finalists including hosts South Africa went out in the group stage -- has been a disappointment to the continent but has surprised few experts.

FIFA said on Wednesday that African soccer needs big structural changes if it is to match the expectations generated by a few big names playing in Europe.

FIFA development director Thierry Regenass told reporters proper governance and professional management had to be improved if the continent's favorite sport was to do better on the international stage.

(Writing by Barry Moody; Editing by Ossian Shine)

• SRC Member

:pinch:Dutch thrive on disharmonic convergence

By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports

12 hours, 37 minutes ago

JOHANNESBURG – For the most part, the World Cup’s most dysfunctional teams have packed up their egos and gone home, taking their strikes, mutinies and refusals to train with them.

With the quarterfinals upon us, one fractured squad is still here.

The Netherlands has charged toward glory despite the fact that its players don’t get along. Rumors and reports of strife in the Dutch camp have been prevalent since the start of the tournament, the disharmony including personality clashes, arguments and general unrest.

On Wednesday, two days ahead of his team’s showdown with Brazil in the last eight, head coach Bert van Marwijk even made it official, taking the unusual but possibly inspired step of bringing his squad’s issues into the open and admitting his players don’t like each other.

“Being friendly with each other is not important so it doesn’t concern me,” Van Marwijk said. “Yes, there are some situations. That is the way of it. Some players don’t like each other; it is not important. It doesn’t concern me and it doesn’t concern them.”

The most public display of angst involved Van Marwijk himself when forward Robin van Persie raged at the coach after being substituted against Slovakia in a 2-1 win in the round of 16. Following that spat Van Marwijk called a team meeting in an attempt to clear the air.

Dutch squads have regularly suffered with internal strife in the past, a factor that is widely believed to have contributed to the way they often fall apart during the business end of major tournaments.

At the 1996 European Championships, Edgar Davids was sent home following a rift with other players and negative comments about head coach Guus Hiddink. This time around, a hopeful nation is praying that Van Marwijk can overcome the lack of cohesion and lead his team to victory over Brazil in Port Elizabeth on Friday.

The coach, though, seems to have little problem with the collision of egos. He even insisted that the edgy atmosphere between the players could have a positive effect.

“If everybody is happy and friendly all the time it is not always a good thing,” Van Marwijk said. “It is not always the best way to have a successful team.

“What matters is that everybody wants to win. They don’t have to want to win for each other. They just need to have that desire and belief and commitment. Other things don’t matter. Fortunately, our players understand that and are happy with it.”

The Netherlands will go into its clash against a rampant Brazil side as the underdog, but it is considered to have a fair fighting chance of upsetting the South American favorites. The technical and dynamic style employed by the Dutch gives them the opportunity to go head-to-head with Brazil, and the result could be one of the most entertaining games of the tournament so far.

And with some outstanding attacking talents such as Arjen Robben, Wesley Sneijder and Van Persie, the Netherlands won’t be fazed by the prospect of getting involved in a shootout against the World Cup’s most dominant force to date. There is just one thing that Van Marwijk will demand from his troops before they enter a match that provides a huge opportunity – a semifinal date against Uruguay or Ghana.

“There must be respect,” he said. “Anything else is irrelevant. But that is one thing they must have for each other. That is one thing that is crucial to function properly.

“I think we have taken some steps toward that.”

• SRC Member

:sick:Aguirre resigns as Mexico coach

By STEPHEN WADE, AP Sports Writer

7 hours, 3 minutes ago

MEXICO CITY (AP)—Javier Aguirre has quit as Mexico coach, three days after the national team was knocked out of the World Cup in a 3-1 loss to Argentina in the round of 16.

It marked the fifth straight time that Mexico has been eliminated in the second round of the World Cup.

Aguirre said on Wednesday that he was “the person responsible” for the loss. :chair:

Mexico has only twice reached the quarterfinals of the World Cup—in 1970 and 1986, when it hosted the event.

Aguirre made the announcement at a packed news conference in Mexico City. The Mexico-born Aguirre was appointed 15 months ago for a second stint as Mexico coach. He also coached the team in the 2002 World Cup, but was replaced after Mexico was eliminated by the United States.

• SRC Member

:peace:Germans: Argentina shows no respect

By NESHA STARCEVIC, AP Sports Writer

jun 30, 10:15 EDT

ERASMIA, South Africa (AP)—Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger accuses World Cup quarterfinals rival Argentina of showing no respect for opponents and referees, and urges his teammates not to be provoked.

Germany eliminated Argentina on penalty kicks four years ago at the same stage and there were chaotic scenes after the shootout, with both sides exchanging punches and kicks in a fracas that included team officials from both benches.

“The shootout is still in our memory, but what really weighs heavily on our minds is what happened after that match,” Schweinsteiger said Wednesday. “We have to remain calm and not get provoked and I hope the referee will be very alert.

“You could see their behavior at halftime of the game against Mexico. When you look at their body language and gesticulations, they way they try to influence the referees, they have no respect. It’s their mentality and character and we’ll have to adjust.”

Mexico and Argentina players had to be separated as they headed for the tunnel at halftime of the teams’ second-round game, with the Mexicans furious over Argentina’s first goal that came when scorer Carlos Tevez clearly was offside.

Argentina won 3-1.

Schweinsteiger also accused Argentine fans of taking the places of others in the stadiums and refusing to move. It was not clear where he got his evidence from.

But the midfielder praised Argentina as a team, saying the squad coached by Diego Maradona was better in “every sector” than the team Germany beat four years ago.

Schweinsteiger singled out veteran Juan Sebastian Veron.

“He has played very strongly here, I have been impressed,” Schweinsteiger said.

Schweinsteiger repeated that stopping Argentina star Lionel Messi will need a strong “collective effort.”

“Other teams also have done it. He hasn’t scored yet and we want to keep it that way,” said Schweinsteiger, who has played 78 games for Germany although he is still just 25.

“We’ll find the right game plan to hurt Argentina, although we know how strong Argentina is. At this level, you can’t make mistakes, it’s the details that decide the match.”

Thomas Mueller, who scored twice against England, could be the deciding factor in the match, which might be embarrasing to Maradona.

By now, he should have heard of Mueller. The last time Argentina played Germany in a friendly in March, Maradona felt so slighted when Mueller sat on the podium with him at the postmatch news conference that he stormed off and refused to return until Mueller left the stage to the coach alone.

Mueller had just made his debut for Germany then. Now, he leads his team at the World Cup with three goals.

Coach Joachim Loew said forward Cacau is unlikely to recover from a right thigh injury in time for the match.

Argentina beat Germany 1-0 with relative ease in that March friendly in Munich. Schweinsteiger said that result meant little.

“One, it was a friendly. Two, they did not create many chances either. Three, we have gained a lot of confidence by beating England and the good tactics we used in that game,” Schweinsteiger said.

Germany advanced to the quarterfinal with a 4-1 win.

Schweinsteiger said he expected the upcoming match to be a tactical affair, “just as it was in 2006.”

Argentina has only one win over Germany at the World Cup, in the 1986 final when Maradona was still playing. Overall in the World Cup, they have met five times and twice in the final.

Maradona led Argentina to that 3-2 win in Mexico, while in Italy in 1990, Germany won 1-0 on a penalty kick. Those were also the last times either team won the World Cup.

Germany won a group match 3-1 in 1958 and the two teams drew 0-0 in another group match in 1966.

• SRC Member

:evil::evil::evil:War of words renews Argentina-Germany rivalry

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

11 hours, 25 minutes ago

CAPE TOWN, South Africa – God’s gift to soccer writers had heard the rumblings from the German camp and couldn’t resist adding spice to Saturday’s Argentina-Germany quarterfinal match.

Diego Maradona is Argentina’s irascible coach and former mega-star player. He had gotten word that German player Bastian Schweinsteiger was complaining about Argentina’s tactics with the referees, the behavior of their fans and, of course, the dirty acts that went down during a brawl following Germany’s 2006 World Cup penalty kick victory.

So Maradona stared into a Fox Sports camera on Thursday and with a mock German accent asked:

“What’s the matter Schweinsteiger? Are you nerrrvoushhh?”

Bless Maradona and bless a quarterfinals match that is heating up by the moment.

All had seemed behind the Argentina-Germany feud when the nations played an uneventful “friendly” this spring. That was then. This is the World Cup.

Now it’s bad blood, worse accents and great theater.

It’s all led to circumstances surrounding the team’s 2006 postgame fight being rehashed in both team’s training camps Thursday. The Germans say it began when the Argentineans were mocking them during their penalty kicks and then when they celebrated the victory. Argentina recalled no such thing and claim the Germans deserved it.

Whoever is right doesn’t matter. What resulted was a fairly wild brawl between the teams. As far as sporting donnybrooks go, it ranked below your average minor league hockey bench clearer but way ahead of any baseball fight. There were punching, kicking and hurt feelings all around.

Considering the stage – World Cup quarters – it was a big deal. And now it’s back.

I’ve never been one to believe a fight automatically “mars” a game. It can add excitement, tension and tumult. You wouldn’t be reading a column about the two teams’ mutual respect for each other.

In this case, the biggest injury was some scraped shins. It was a good time. Can we get an Octagon out here?

This has gotten so fun that even Pele, the long-retired Brazilian star, has taken a side – and, not surprisingly, it’s against his rival Maradona, who just this month said Pele “should return to the museum.”

“[Maradona] is not a good coach, because he had a bizarre lifestyle which cannot go down well with his team,” Pele told the German magazine 11Freunde.

Well, sure, if you want to get technical, a coke habit, alcoholism, a stomach staple, rampant narcissism, tax evasion charges (a mere 37 million euros), intense superstition, defiance in the face of authority and a mouth that never held back an insult could, in some circles, be considered “bizarre.” We in the media prefer “colorful.” And besides, the Argentinean players say they love their coach.

Anyway, what does Pele think of the German side? “This young German team is a pleasure to watch,” he said.

For his part, Schweinsteiger isn’t about to forget, let alone forgive the 2006 brawl. No matter what Maradona said, he didn’t sound nervous when he blasted the Argentineans for everything except the price of empanadas.

There was the way Argentina works over the refs: “When one sees Argentina’s games and the way in which they try to influence the referees. … It is a lack of respect, but this is what the Argentines are like.”

There was the conduct of Argentina fans: “We have already seen how the Argentine fans sit together in spite of the fact that those are not their proper seats, and they stop other spectators with the correct tickets from enjoying the game.”

He could’ve added that Argentina’s coach talks so much he makes Ozzie Guillen seem like a mime, but why encourage Diego? Germany can win the game and it can win another postgame fight (it can lose either or both also).

Schweinsteiger won’t win a war of words with Maradona, especially when Diego still has a press conference scheduled Friday where he is literally liable to say anything. We’re just hoping for more German imitations.

Know this: Both Argentina and Germany believe they can win this World Cup. Both sides have played extremely well. They are experienced, fast, creative and confident. The fact they are matching up so early in the tournament is a circumstance of the brackets. You can imagine either would prefer taking on Ghana or Uruguay right now.

They aren’t, though, which offers a replay of a thrilling game four years ago. Germany tied it at 1-1 with a genius, ping-pong heading combination in the 80th minute and then won it 4-2 on PKs. The fight only made it more memorable, the talking point of arguably the most argued about quarterfinal game in this tournament. Maradona promised his “boys” would play “in their faces.”

Cape Town is a laid back place – sand, surf and spectacular views. It’s a long way from the pressure-cooker of crowded, crime-fearing Johannesburg.

That’s going to change Saturday – and for the better.

• SRC Member

:nuke:Head games: Germany’s Lahm trashes Argentina

By NESHA STARCEVIC, AP Sports Writer

9 hours, 30 minutes ago

ERASMIA, South Africa (AP)— You’re a bunch of sore losers.

Oh, yeah? Well, you’re just nervous about having to play us.

Germany and Argentina are heating up the World Cup with a little bit of trash talking ahead of their quarterfinal match Saturday in Cape Town.

Germany captain Philipp Lahm added to the head games Thursday by essentially calling the Argentines hot heads.

“We have to concentrate on our own game. They are temperamental, we’ll see how they deal with defeat on Saturday,” Lahm said. “They are impulsive, temperamental and they don’t know how to lose.”

Lahm’s comments upped the ante after midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger said Wednesday that Argentina showed no respect for opponents and referees. Team manager Oliver Bierhoff then chimed in by saying the Argentines were “aggressive” and “provocative” on the field.

In nearby Pretoria, Argentina coach Diego Maradona said nerves must be getting to Schweinsteiger.

Laughing during an interview Wednesday night with Fox Sports Argentina, Maradona mockingly asked Schweinsteiger whether he was “nervous” and said his players were looking forward to “revenge,” referring to the teams’ history.

Germany eliminated Argentina on penalty kicks four years ago, also in the quarterfinals, and there were chaotic scenes after the shootout. The two sides exchanged punches and kicks in a fracas that included team officials from both benches.

Going back further, Germany beat Argentina 1-0 in the 1990 World Cup final— avenging Argentina’s 3-2 victory in the ’86 title game. Back then, Maradona was leading the Albiceleste as a player.

“The important thing is that we answer on the field,” Argentine defender Martin Demichelis said. “The best answer is during the game.”

“Maybe because we beat them on March 3 (in an exhibition game) they respect us a little more.”

On Thursday, Lahm dismissed Maradona’s suggestion the Germans were nervous.

“We are tense but not nervous,” Lahm said. “We are looking forward to the game.”

Bierhoff said he had played with many Argentines and found them “friendly, warmhearted people.”

“But on the pitch they are different. They become aggressive and provocative. We should keep a cool head and concentrate on our own game,” the former Germany striker said.

Referring to the post-match fight in 2006, Bierhoff said, “emotions run high after a game but we should put it behind us.”

Asked if the team’s staff had talked to Schweinsteiger about his comments that started the verbal exchange, Bierhoff said he saw no need for that.

“I don’t think there were so inflammatory,” Bierhoff said. “It was not his intention to start a fire. He is a fair sportsman.”

Schweinsteiger said that the fight after 2006 quarterfinal still weighed heavily on his teammates’ minds.

“When you look at their body language and gesticulations, they way they try to influence the referees, they have no respect,” Schweinsteiger said. “It’s their mentality and character and we’ll have to adjust.”

• SRC Member

:whistleSouth Korean coach quits over cyber attacks

AFP - 3 hours ago

SEOUL (AFP) - Huh Jung-Moo Friday stepped down as South Korea's coach, citing distress from scathing attacks over his leadership during the football World Cup in South Africa.

"I've decided not to seek a second term," Huh, 55, told journalists.

:blink:"My family members suffered a lot ... I want to have time to recharge myself and spend some time with my family," said Huh whose 30-month coaching contract expires with the end of the World Cup.

The Korea Football Association Chairman Cho Chung-Yun said earlier he had wanted Huh to remain in the job after he successfully guided South Korea through to the final 16 where they were eliminated by Uruguay.

It was South Korea's best performance at any World Cup finals held on foreign soil.

In the group stages South Korea beat Greece 2-0 but suffered a crushing 4-1 defeat to Argentina, which sparked a barrage of cyber attacks on the coach notably over his decision to shuffle his defenders by bringing on Oh Beom-Seok for Cha Du-Ri.

Cha performed well in the match with Greece but Oh made some decisive errors, contributing to Argentina's overwhelming victory.

After holding Nigeria to a 2-2 draw in their final group B match, South Korea advanced to the last 16. But they were defeated 1-2 by Uruguay in the first knockout stage match.

Huh's wife, Choi Mi-Na, told the Chosun Daily that she and their children had been deeply wounded by hurtful Internet postings.

:agreed:"I told him he should quit ... The coach and all my family members have been hurt enough," she said.