Skimmer problem urgently

the bubbles won't go up to my cup level, wondering whats when wrong. is it the power of my pump or the problem of my skimmer. i have tried taking out the the pump to wash out as sands might be stuck inside, but still no use. the pump is working well. even my skiimer i have bring out to wash out too, pls advise. in addtion my skimmer is inside my tank cause sometimes when i put nutrients for my life coral, the bubbles will overflow, that's why i put inside my tank. and i need help to attach my photos in, whenever i attach my photos , it will hang and fail, is it the pics file is too big. my pics file is around 5mb

• SRC Member

hi Lion8383,

try resizing your picture before you upload.

here's one free program by mircosoft, the image resizer.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

it let you resize image with just a simple right click on picture.

Alternatively, you can use www.picnik.com if you do not want to download anything.

a picture is best for me to see whats going on. so try to upload a photo first.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

please try resizing first and upload directly into this forum.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

i believe that will solve your uploading problem.

• SRC Member

btw, whats ur pump's output? in litre/hr

for weipro, theres a knot at the 90 degree output pipe, you can try tuning that and see if the thing improves. and see whether if there is alot of bubbles forming by visual comparison from the past.

the air intake portion might be choked. washed that part with warm/hot water.

beside, if your fish/coral are not doing well, do water change. its high chance its your water quality problem and not just attributed by skimmer problem.

test your salinity as well, best with refractometer. much lower salinity will affect skimming problem.

if you are so worried about your lifestock's health, just do a major water change first.

• SRC Member

2 problems for that kind of effect:

1) pump lost efficiency, no longer pushing as much water thru.

2) the air intake nozzle is choked.

with the latter being the most likely cause.

wash it with warm/hot water for the nozzle to see if things improve and make sure ur fittings are fit correctly and tightly.

all the best.

• SRC Member

sorrt what do u mean by the air intake, i'm a newbie

no worries,

the air intake is the thin transparent pipe thats sticking out.

at the bottom of the thin transparent pipe, its connected to the air intake nozzle (the venturi, the black part)

wash the small holes of the venturi as well as the transparent pipe.

• SRC Member

air intake nozzle its the one from the pump to the skimmer one right, wat about the thin long tube at the skimmer side, wats that. so if really can't work i need to buy a new pump right not the skimer problem correct

please refer to my previous post.

previous post:

no worries,

the air intake is the thin transparent pipe thats sticking out.

at the bottom of the thin transparent pipe, its connected to the air intake nozzle (the venturi, the black part)

wash the small holes of the venturi as well as the transparent pipe.

• SRC Member

try washing that first before deciding, i believe its the intake being choked. can be solve easily.

here:

post-3663-046587000 1281145984_thumb.jpg

just done not choke, everything from skimmer there's no problem, the main fault it's the pump, there's power for the pump cause i can feel the virbration of the pump but some thing it's stuck in the pump, tonight i try to dismantle the pump again , if really can't work, i think i need to buy another power head, thanks so much for ur advice, really appreciated

• SRC Member

just done not choke, everything from skimmer there's no problem, the main fault it's the pump, there's power for the pump cause i can feel the virbration of the pump but some thing it's stuck in the pump, tonight i try to dismantle the pump again , if really can't work, i think i need to buy another power head, thanks so much for ur advice, really appreciated

no problem, all the best.

• SRC Member

cause why i on the power head and dismantle the skimmer, there's not much air coming out from the power head, so the main fault lies at the pump, the power its very strong but something stuck, maybe i fix back wrongly

hi Lion,

i think you got the whole concept wrong. the pump itself will not push air out, only water. its the water thats being forced thru the venturi, which cause lower pressure, then the air is being suck in. only the air suck in from venturi and not from the pump.

its the venturi thats contributing to the air.

learn more about the venturi effect here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

if its really not the pump's fault, please clean the venturi thoroughly and totally. not just flushing water etc, use a toothpick/needle to poke thru the holes.

if not, just get a new pump and see how it goes.

all the best.

understand the venturi side, i try it tonight, but what i mean if u on power head with the skimmer fix with the power head already. there when u atcually pull out the tube which it's attched through the skimmer, u will feel atrong power water flowing out from that hole from the power head right, but it didn't and the pump virbrate meaning just now when i dismantle it and i didn't fix it back properly. if not i will bring the power head to the shops to ask them try it out for me to see whether the prob lies at the pump. ok got to go, thanks for ur advice, see my gallery how's it. just need ur advice how to decorate more better. this tank brought me a lot of luck man, thanks bro

• SRC Member

understand the venturi side, i try it tonight, but what i mean if u on power head with the skimmer fix with the power head already. there when u atcually pull out the tube which it's attched through the skimmer, u will feel atrong power water flowing out from that hole from the power head right, but it didn't and the pump virbrate meaning just now when i dismantle it and i didn't fix it back properly. if not i will bring the power head to the shops to ask them try it out for me to see whether the prob lies at the pump. ok got to go, thanks for ur advice, see my gallery how's it. just need ur advice how to decorate more better. this tank brought me a lot of luck man, thanks bro

Hi bro.....

From the picture, i think is the Weipro skimmer....

You may want to check certain things here...

1. There is a water level indicator, is the water exceeded or below the water indicator?

2. There is a small pipe for the air to suck in when water flow through....Do you see any bubbles? If YES, try to place your finger to block the pipe intake...the buble should be gone...

3. Any major changes for before this happened?

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

• 1 month later...