Eheim 2213 Canister Filter

Hi All,

I have a 1.5ft tank powered by a eheim 2213 canister filter. The filter has been running almost a month.

So i think its time for me to clean it a change the carbon media inside. My problem is i do not know

how to do it.I had a very hard time in getting the filter to work when i first bought it and it was really

messy coz i had to use my mouth to manually suck out the air tfrom the filter outlet so that it will start to run(i did fill up the filter with water from tank initially

but the airlock thing is a really problem). So my question is if i off the filter, clean and on back will i still need to manually repeat the manual siphon

process?? Or is there any link to teach me how to step by step to do cleaning on this filter. Thanks to all gurus in advance

Hi All,

I have a 1.5ft tank powered by a eheim 2213 canister filter. The filter has been running almost a month.

So i think its time for me to clean it a change the carbon media inside. My problem is i do not know

how to do it.I had a very hard time in getting the filter to work when i first bought it and it was really

messy coz i had to use my mouth to manually suck out the air tfrom the filter outlet so that it will start to run(i did fill up the filter with water from tank initially

but the airlock thing is a really problem). So my question is if i off the filter, clean and on back will i still need to manually repeat the manual siphon

process?? Or is there any link to teach me how to step by step to do cleaning on this filter. Thanks to all gurus in advance

Eheim 2213 is a basic set without self-priming function so you will need to prime the filter whenever you do your maintenance.

Instead of using your mouth, you can try using a small pump to pump water into the inlet and when you see water coming out of the outlet, start the eheim and it will be prime.

Hope that helps. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Hi Gouldian,

Thanks a lot for the advice :ThanxSmiley: . Btw may i just know when is the right time for me to change the carbon filter?

No worries. ;)

There is no hard and fast rule as to when to change carbon, this is because there are many factors in play such as the amount of nutrients in tank vs the amount of carbon used, the amount of livestocks, frequency of water change etc. A simple telltale sign is to look at the colour of the water, if it starts to turn yellow, its time to change carbon. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Eheim 2213 is a basic set without self-priming function so you will need to prime the filter whenever you do your maintenance.

Instead of using your mouth, you can try using a small pump to pump water into the inlet and when you see water coming out of the outlet, start the eheim and it will be prime.

Hope that helps. ;)

Ya agree. A small pump is a great help :thumbsup: . Alternatively, U can try on & off the filter a few time when the water already half way through the hose..this method force the water pressure to flow out from the outlet & thus the filter will start to run normally.

Hope this helps too. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Another good idea is to get yourself a sump.

I've seen nano tank with nano sump.

Looks pretty cute. Main idea is to save u from all the hassle of taking in n putting back those media...

U will eventually appreciate it...

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• 2 weeks later...