Super newbie

joby553

• SRC Member

Avoid leaning your live rocks against glass. Your fresh water tank glass may not be thick enough to withstand the knocks. Be extra careful when you attempt to rescape.

I just got myself a ro/di(used) but now have no idea how to fix it up and I'm sure there some missing pipes.

Will anyone here with experience can help meet up with me, bring me go get the missing parts, and help me fix the thing up? Of cos I can't pay you mush for your help but I can treat you to a meal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi bro,

Can you list out the equipment that you currently have in this setup.. So can assist you.

Btw.. I use tap water for my 5ft tank, it's not a must to ro/di unit for a small setup as you need to water change regularly or weekly basis

I think you a lacking of skimmer and your water flow is important as I don't think a wave maker can fit in..

You also need to understand water parameters.. Did you test it, please give us some info so we can help you to achieve it..

Lastly, white carpet anemone is quite handful to look after, as it demand space and when it move, it's often sting other corals..

Happy reefing and welcome to sgreef !!

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain...

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain

Hi bro, the tank as u see is very small, have bad experience using tap water + anti chlorine(fish keep dying). Do got this ro/di try. Had it fixed already, waiting to get hooked up under sink.

Now no skimmer. I have 2 filters inside, one is dymax brand which blows out the water like a current.

As for testing, only have a nitrate kit and one hydro.

The anemone was the only one left at the shop and my son die die also want, got it back, has been stuck there ever since, and the clown go inside quite like it.

Do hope I can get some pointers thanks

Hi bro, water is important and is the key to a successful marine keeping, cycling is must... Your bacterial is not cultivated that why your fishes keep on dying. I suggest using ATM Colony Marine Nitrifying Bacteria if you can't wait. I cycle my tank in just days with livestocks.

Weekly, you can dose ATM outbreak or you can use Redsea po4/no3 reducer. You must have atleast liverock and filter media for this to work well.. ATM is available at green chapter and Westcoast aquarium.

This section here explain the cycling process.

http://acrylictankmanufacturing.com/resources/aquarium-cycling/

Next is your salt mix, it's holds important nutrients. I use redsea as its the most affordable and dosing is reasonable. You need to invest on the test kits so you know what is going on in your tank.

Lastly, if skimmer is not use.. You must change water weekly religiously. Wish you all the best...

Honestly bro. Tap water is fine.. You need to let it settle down with the salt mix before you pour it in.. Try to get a aquarium fan as temperature is important too.. Don't forget to get a thermometer...

Hmm I got a fan already, and I started off the tank with ready saltwater from the shop. Have been buying them ready in jerry can for water change weekly, also because I worry about adding too little or too much salt. As for ro/di, since I got it might as well use it. Was meant as a little gift for myself for quit smoking.

So other than the nitrite test kit I have, which else should I get to monitor? Everytime I check the nitrite level is pretty low for now. Ginna go check out the 2 shops later if I'm free!

Bro, still need salt mix to adjust, ready salt water still need to fine tune the parameters.. What does your hydrometer tells you ?

You need to test for PH, KH, No3, P04, CA, MG and temperature once that is tested. you balance it with dosing..

Recommended Parameters

Calcium/Ca 380-450 ppm

Alkalinity/KH 9-12 dKH

Salinity 35 ppt / 1.026

Temperature 25-27 degree

pH 8.1-8.3

Magnesium/ Mg1250-1350 ppm

Phosphate/Po4 < 0 ppm

Ammonia <0 ppm

Nitrite/No3 <0.1 ppm

Wow. Didn't know it was this complex! Hmm I would check the hydrometer every day before top up, try to maintain at 1.023.

I will definitely read up on all those you mentioned. Really thank you for the insight.

Yeah. The more you trial and error.. The more you understand.. Don't be dishearten.. You will enjoy reefing when you get it right. Cheers bro.

Wow very hard to commit. Bro Blackcell mention all this, so I must get the test kit, then have to get the supplemented, means money man. I'll just have to slowly add thing up paycheck my paycheck, is anything the most important I should take note first? Ammonia?

Ammonia levels must be 0

No2 levels must be 0

So that you know that cycling is completed.

No3 and Po4 is what you need to take note..

If the levels are high, you need to water change till the levels drop, start with 20%-30% water change if you are not dosing anything..

The most important part is bacterial in your water, you need to cultivate it.. I hope you have dose bacterial in your water and media to retain so it can breakdown your bio load & debris. The more fishes you add, they more you need to watch this part..

3a8ade3a.jpg

The gsp(shop auntie say is) like not doing well. Keep dropping like flakes, think hermit is eating it. Read somewhere not to dose anything I can't test, so I haven started dosing anything as of yet.

As for the test kit went to pasir ris farm last weekend to walk walk and saw a lot,all very ex, probably will search again this weekend for bro Blackcell into the stuff. Been busy lately.

Moon wrasse is tough fish to keep.. I have 1 in my tank and needs a lot of space to swim around. Can be aggressive too..

It's a expensive hobby bro.. Test kit is a must in marine up keeping.. Redsea ones are expensive but they are reliable.. Salifert is reasonable too..