3ft tank - dual return pumps

I'm setting up a new 3ft tank, about 300L total vol (tank + sump). In sump will be a auto roll filter, ATS, skimmer.

1)  I don't have time to manage pump-related emergencies due to the nature of my work and am looking to have some backup built into the tank system with 2 return pumps.

Primary return pump (Jebao DCP8000) -----> Chiller (Hailea HS66a) -----> Tank

Secondary return pump (Jebao DCP 4000) ----->Tank

Taking into account the head pressure on both pumps & recommended flow rate though chiller (1000 to 2500L/H) it seems feasible. The combined flowrate through sump is about 10x system volume.

There will be a single gyre/or combination of wavemakers to make up for the rest of intank flow.

2) Also deliberating on whether to get the Bubble Magus Curve 5 or Z6 as both are about right sized for my setup. Can't find many reviews on the Z6. Not quite sure why.

Appreciate your insights!

Edited by Bazinga

• SRC Member

Your return option looks good, though i personally would go for the DCP12000 and run it at a lower speed which i personally believes lengthens the lifespan of the pump, its also quieter this way.

As for your skimmer, i'm currently using the BM Z7 on my 160L tank and it seems to be abit too overkill for now (new set up, not skimming much), but i would suggest you go for the Curve 5 or Z7/Z8 at least.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member
9 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Hmmm.. can't go back to single pump liao, as tank already being built:)

Are the pumps loud when running near max capacity? If so, I might work out a combination using 2 higher rated pumps as you mention.

Yeah 2 pump option is definitely more fail-proof, i used to run a DCP12000 on my 4ft 450L system and i barely go over 70% power and they are near silent even after 3 years of usage. I believe at max capacity you might only hear a soft humming noise.

• Like 1

• SRC Member
18 minutes ago, Evolutionz said:

Your return option looks good, though i personally would go for the DCP12000 and run it at a lower speed which i personally believes lengthens the lifespan of the pump, its also quieter this way.

As for your skimmer, i'm currently using the BM Z7 on my 160L tank and it seems to be abit too overkill for now (new set up, not skimming much), but i would suggest you go for the Curve 5 or Z7/Z8 at least.

i meant to say Curve 7 not 5!