Deltec AP850

riot

• SRC Member

Hi Fellas

In exchange for the speedy delivery of my deltec, I have agreed to do a review on my new skimmer. Surprisingly for a reefer, I have absolutely NO patience and have decided to do a quick review less than 24 hours after receiving my order. I will post up my comments on the skimmer as it gets broken in, so these initial posts are strictly first impressions of the German equipment.

First off, a quick VR look around the skimmer.

post-14-1108896993.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

First impressions (other than the strange air filled plastic bags Deltec used for padding) is that it is pretty large. The exact dimensions you can check out at EAN's website http://www.eaquanature.com/web/index.html , but the coral life bucket there is for scale. The entire skimmer body takes up slightly less than 3/4 volume of the bucket. Thats pretty large.

post-14-1108897314.jpg

• SRC Member

The most recent skimmer i have used is the HS, and the Deltec construction is far more "pro" than the HS. This is strictly my personal opinion and is totally unsupported by nor substantiated by alternative sources. A good example is the integrated air intake ###### output bracing.

post-14-1108897470.jpg

• SRC Member

Those familiar with the HS should have no problems with removal of the skimmate pot. It is an easy twist, lift and the top is popped, ready for dumping and rinsing. Clearance is minimal, likewise the degree of body flexibility and physical fitness needed to perform this manouver. I do not need to go on a diet to reduce the fat on my fingers, as there are no thumbscrews to undo each time I need to clean the skimmer.

post-14-1108897825.jpg

• SRC Member

The deltec is easily identifiable by the trademark black ABS material they use on the skimmer body. This clearly sets it aside from the grey material HS uses. As to which material is superior, I am not an engineer. As to which material looks better, the Deltec definitely looks more "finished" and "commercial".

post-14-1108898086.jpg

• SRC Member

The eheim is mated to the skimmer body through two connections, in a similar design to the HS. However, unlike the HS, there is no PVC bracing or support that goes around the entire skimmer body. Rather, there are two pieces of support that connects the pipework from the eheim to the skimmer. It feels a little shaky, and I am not fully confident that it will not leak if I pick the unit up by the pump alone.

post-14-1108898407.jpg

• SRC Member

I am also not overly impressed with the glue work by Deltec. When running the skimmer on a leak test, the uneven glueing nearly gave me a heart attack. I thought that the Deltec sprung a leak, where the body connects to the base plate. However, closer inspection reveals this to be false. So far, the unit has not leaked, although I would have liked the workmanship to have a bit more pride.

post-14-1108898660.jpg

• SRC Member

Alright, lets come to the main event. Does it skim, and how are the bubbles?

Note that this is a brandnew skimmer, less than 24 hours in operation. Actually, this is a photo of the first hour fully running. As can be seen, the body is a solid churn of milk. Bubbles are what one would expect of a top end skimmer.

post-14-1108898804.jpg

• SRC Member

So far, hows the score on the deltec?

It get excellent marks on maintenace, as the pot is easily removable. Design and looks are great, and I love the integrated black plastic design. Not totally rugged though, but this does not mean that it is a hazard. Indeed, the Deltec unit that I have received is structurally sound and integrity is solid. There are small cosmetic flaws, but the Deltec has completed the leak test well.

It is easy to setup, connecting my chiller return straight into the pvc pipework courtesy of Weileong (see attached pix).

post-14-1108899303.jpg

• SRC Member

However, my initial attempt of running the output through a PVC connector, nozzle and eheim 1 inch rubber hose to the sump failed. I had a continuous burping on the deltec, with water level within the skimmer body rising beyond the skimmer pot/ body O ring catch, then plunging down below the neck. This is solved by removing the rubber hose system, and plumbing in another t so that the outflow no longer faces back pressure and vacuum problems. Chim right? Dont worry, I dont know what I am talking about either. See attached pix. The two white circles are the open top Ts I used.

post-14-1108899577.jpg

However, my initial attempt of running the output through a PVC connector, nozzle and eheim 1 inch rubber hose to the sump failed. I had a continuous burping on the deltec, with water level within the skimmer body rising beyond the skimmer pot/ body O ring catch, then plunging down below the neck. This is solved by removing the rubber hose system, and plumbing in another t so that the outflow no longer faces back pressure and vacuum problems. Chim right? Dont worry, I dont know what I am talking about either. See attached pix. The two white circles are the open top Ts I used.

Riot,

Nice, fair and neutral review, cheers.

The unstable water level is a problem many pple faced with external skimmers. Once the return piping gets too long then you get this problem due to the "siphoning" effects caused by the back pressure from the long piping.

For my case, I enlarge the 25mm tubing on the AP850 via a reducer to 30mm then add a Tee before the water flows back to the sump. With this I get very stable water level in the skimmer.

You'll noticed that the deltec skimmers come with a clear pipe with an elbow, that is meant to be used with the slotted pipe together with the blue sponge for micro bubble removal (that is part of the installation kit), the slots in the pipe will break the siphon effects. With that you do not need replace the elbow with the Tee.

Just a tip... for external skimmers' return piping back into the sump... best to have the pipe angled 45 degrees back into the water... it prevents the problem of air backing up inside the return piping and affecting the speed of water returning back quickly to the sump tank.