Nano cube tank

jef

Hi people,

Im new to keeping marine fish and corals. recently just bought a tank at tampines mall. A package deal ( Tank+corals+12 small fishes and set-up). The tank came with 2 build in fan, lighting, overflow filter system. Everthing I paid for $850.

I was told to add in tap water everytime the water level drop. Is it ok to use tap water for top up??? is it safe??

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Hi people,

Im new to keeping marine fish and corals. recently just bought a tank at tampines mall. A package deal ( Tank+corals+12 small fishes and set-up). The tank came with 2 build in fan, lighting, overflow filter system. Everthing I paid for $850.

I was told to add in tap water everytime the water level drop. Is it ok to use tap water for top up??? is it safe??

its better to top up with RO or DI water ;)

• SRC Member

water conditioner is in a bottled form where it will help conditions tap water eliminating toxic chlorine & chloramine. However u have to let the water run for at least 24hrs b4 adding to your tank.

• SRC Member
when you say let the water run for 24hrs, does it mean leaving it in a pail for 24hrs b4 adding to tank???

Yes, also its good to use a air pump to circulate the water during the 24hrs period,not only it will help rid the chlorine better & will also prevent mosqitoes from breeding in the FW.

Take note that this type of conditioner will not completely purify the water. There are far more dissolved substances in our tap water (TDS) which can only remove by RO/DI units.

Here's a link for a better understanding of RO/DI ;)

RO/DI

• SRC Member

Have marine stuff but all look soooooo

pathatic. Like gonna up lorry anytime.

I always go there shake head.

Never expect .... Got pple got

conn into buying.... At UNBELIEVEABLE

price some more. They really too

much man.

But i've notice this as a trend in many hobbies.

Always 1st time kana jia lat jia lat.

Chop like carrot & squeeze like sugar cane.

• SRC Member

This kind of shop always attract people by having a very nice but cheap set-up, then charge people sky high.People who are not into this hobby b4 will easily be "conned" into it. I'm also one of the victim b4 back in 2001,paying $4000 for a very simple 3f tank set :angry:

pal, U got good spirit. But not to dampen your interest. The hard part is to keep it balance now.

your nano tank is actually too small to hold too many fishes. When I saw it at TM, U can't possibly maintain that way. He put so many fishes in there -> bioload is too high and the weaker fish will not make it. The boss has to keep changing water at least a few days to maintain it or keep changing his fishes... :(

There is no skimmer, only 2 small compartments for putting some biofilters, carbon and rowaphos. So, be sure u dun overfeed and use test kits to measure your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Secondly, u only can mount one 13W PL light. So I guess he give u the 50/50 tube with daylight / actinic blue. PRobably not strong enough. I use 2 PL x 13W instead.

I have a nano tank too; the fast and most efficient way tp keep the water clean is to change 20% water wkly. Like what the others recommended, use DI or RO water and mixed with salt; Put anti-chlorine and run it with air bubble or pump for a couple of days;

I usually do it min. for a day and change water. This way it replenish your trace element, strontium, magnesium etc. Be sure to does Calcium and carbon hardness wkly as well.

Buy a good brand like marine enivornment for the salt. Anyway, there are plenty of info on the forum. Keep reading it and u will be able to pick up more info.

• SRC Member

Jef, I wished u had done your research before plunging in $850 into this hobby. it seems u're totally clueless and ignorant about this marine hobby. Either u super rich or whatever :blink:

Now i can only pray for ur livestocks :(

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

• SRC Member

jef's already said he discovered the forum only after buying the setup.

who is to know on researching on the net before purchasing their first fish tank?

i know i didn't

the most important thing is to learn skills about upkeeping an aquarium asap and provide the best he can for the fishes

no point dissing him now

Jef: what are the 12 small fishes that the shop provided u with?

for the nano, i think the bio-load is a bit too high, suggest you sell away some of the fishes if possible, as to maintain a stable and safe nitrate level

here's one website that could be useful for your reading

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

happy reefing

• SRC Member

Ah well, my 1st 1 ft tank was bought on impluse too. Had 2 medium size clowns, 1 damsel and 1 anemone in a 1 FT! Great advice by the LFS huh? ZzzZZz. Sheesh, didnt know what i was thinking then, and well, i didnt do any research on the net too. And guess what, all LF wiped out the next day. Well, i guess a lot of people get "conned" or rather misled by some "not so good" LFS who'll just about do anything to clinch a deal. They even tried to sell me a bicolour dottyback for $65!!! :pinch:

Like hondaker said maybe you should try reduce your bioload abit and just keep what u really like and dun worry, i learnt through the hard way too.... :) Cheers and happy reefing! Just ask if you have any questions and im sure there'll be lots of experience reefers who'll help. Have fun! Oh, still looking fwd to seeing a pic. :lol:

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member
jef's already said he discovered the forum only after buying the setup.

who is to know on researching on the net before purchasing their first fish tank?

i know i didn't

The net is ur only source of researching and finding info?

Always do ur readings first if u want to be a responsible reefer

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef