sun coral

kenny1111

• SRC Member

hi all, i just bought 3 sun coral form ah beng. Have try feeding with "5 in 1 coral food" & mysis. but already 1 week and i still never still them open at all. only can see the "mouth" open a little but dont see the hand coming out.

My method is first feed them some coral food, wait for 5min and feed them the mysis( drop on top of the mouth. is this correct?

Y they not opening?

hi all, i just bought 3 sun coral form ah beng. Have try feeding with "5 in 1 coral food" & mysis. but already 1 week and i still never still them open at all. only can see the "mouth" open a little but dont see the hand coming out.

My method is first feed them some coral food, wait for 5min and feed them the mysis( drop on top of the mouth. is this correct?

Y they not opening?

Sun coral also respond to flow.

In nature, food is brought to them through the changes in tide movement. I have been feeding my suns for months, but some of them just does not respond until I changed the position of my wavemakers, flow initiate a response in them.

hope it helps

• Like 1

Hi Kenny,

It is correct to 'wake' the sunnies by first pouring the mysis juice or coral food. When they are slightly open, very carefully place one mysis on it and wait for it to grab and swallow. During this time, it is best to turn off all wavemakers as the tentacles are not sticky yet. It takes many days for it to fully open. however, the tentacles will be rather sticky once it is fully open and healthy.

Do what the other guys suggested too. Change the position. In general, black/brown suns prefer stronger flow than the orange/yellow ones. It is also dependent on the shape of the sun corals. According to my experience, the flatter ones require stronger flow than those that are sticking out from a small base.

Another reason why your sunnies are harder to open might also be due to the healthy whn you bought it. Sunnies are actually very easy to feed. However, they are usually starved at the overseas farms prior to shipment to singapore. And if they sit in the farm or LFS(local) for more than 2 weeks, chances are that the sunnies would be too starved and hungry to have any energy for polyp extension. And from this point onwards, it will just degenerate in health.There is actually an article on this.Therefore, i always make sure i buy 'fresh' shipment and will not buy suncorals that have been sitting in farms for more than a week.

Google is your best friend:)

• Like 2