BeanAnimal overflow system

Hi everyone, I've been researching for my first reef tank for almost 6 months now... The posts here have been most helpful and enjoyable to read :ThanxSmiley:

Haven't seen a discussion on the BeanAnimal overflow system though. Does anybody have experience with this type of overflow system?

Would like to get some local advice of BeanAnimal versus Herbie overflow or standard Durso standpipes.

Thanks in advance!

• SRC Member

The way I see it, BeanAnimal is a kind of Durso enhancement because the pipe with air-tube is a full fledged Durso design. BTW, my Durso piping has been running silently & reliably. The full length overflow may have better efficiency in nutrient export, but I foresee much of the daily fish food will also go that way before the fishies can get to them. Filter sock has to be changed more often then. One needs to strike a balance.

One more thing, BeanAnimal is not for those who wants underflow in addition to overflow.

Herbie can do both under & overflow. It is suitable for narrow overflow box that's not able to fit in a larger Durso pipe. But then, because 2 smaller pipes are used in place of a standard Durso, higher chance of blockage if LS manage to get pass overflow comb.