can copper treatment kill bristle worm

I am current dosing copper to my tank (fish only)for around 1 week.

according to my API copper test kit. my copper is less than 0.25 per litre.

I found that white spot seems to have disappear but bristle worm is still alive.

Does this show that my copper level is too low? Thanks

• SRC Member

You dose copper to kill ich, right? Why are you concerned about the bristle worms? They will not do you any harm. You can introduce a coral banded shrimp to control their population.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

I am wondering if the bristle is still alive, then is my copper strong enough to kill the white spot.

Is it tellling me that I have not add enough copper to kill white spot as bristle worm is also consider inverterbrate and it is still alive. Thanks

Natural predator introduction will be more successful getting rid of the pest.

I have a big coral band shrimp in my other reef tank but it seems not doing its job. As i am still have bristle worm in the tank.

• SRC Member

Just dose as per instructions. If the Ich in your fishes disappears, then it's working.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry only saw this thread now. Yes i would say your copper levels are too low but be real careful when dosing. Generally what happens is that your rock work and media will initially absorb most of the copper so your readings will be real low. I would dose and check on a regular basis.

Hi finrott,

Thanks. I have been dosing my tank slowly for around 2 weeks. My tank is almost bare only has some sand in it. Last few days I saw some bristle worm coming out to eat but now no more bristle worm. Even purple coraline has turn white. But my new regal angel added last saturday seems still have a little white spot. My powder blue seem almost all clear (maybe 1 more spot left).

I am wonder should I dose a little bit more copper.

I am maintaining sg at 1.18 (to make sure kill all white spot).

My other tank as no fish at all except coral and shrimps.

Hope with this I can wipe all every single white spot before putting all fish back.

Hi finrott,

Thanks. I have been dosing my tank slowly for around 2 weeks. My tank is almost bare only has some sand in it. Last few days I saw some bristle worm coming out to eat but now no more bristle worm. Even purple coraline has turn white. But my new regal angel added last saturday seems still have a little white spot. My powder blue seem almost all clear (maybe 1 more spot left).

I am wonder should I dose a little bit more copper.

I am maintaining sg at 1.18 (to make sure kill all white spot).

My other tank as no fish at all except coral and shrimps.

Hope with this I can wipe all every single white spot before putting all fish back.

even you wipe out all now. it will still return with your new addition unless you stop adding or QT the new fish before adding. If you are extending the copper dosing period then i advise you to do some WC. normally the ich should be gone after 4 days. since it is a new fish you should decide after 4days for the next dose.i would put all the fishes back now as to treat the rest rather then they might be possible carrier.

Orsony Thanks. Hope fully my tank will be free from ich. By the way if I maintaining my main tank fishless for more than 30 days, will that be able to kill the ich in the main tank?

Theorically, it should kill the ich because it need a host(fish) to multiply. As for new fishes,feed them with garlic mixed food

Anyway, the sad thing is ich will always find a way back to our tank. Therefore, always act fast when you discover there is ich. don't play with time.