My First Marine Tank

• SRC Member

Hello guys/gals,

Very happy to join this forum/club and glad that everyone here is so friendly to offer advice or help to newbies like me......here it goes...

After long hesitation to start this hobby due to time and space...finally made a good decision to do it. Here is what I have so far...I intend to start this hobby using mostly de-comm equipment to keep my cost low. Below are some of the equipments that I managed to secured. Please see and let me know what other equipment is necessary...

1. 5ft Tank with built in Sump

2. Return Pump

3. 1/2 HP Chiller

4. 5ft Lighting 4x80w

5. Skimmer - Have not decided yet... a few choices BM, Becklett, Deltec

any other equipment that I need? thanks guys for your help. Will post pictures of the journey once I embark on it....LOL

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

Hello guys/gals,

Very happy to join this forum/club and glad that everyone here is so friendly to offer advice or help to newbies like me......here it goes...

After long hesitation to start this hobby due to time and space...finally made a good decision to do it. Here is what I have so far...I intend to start this hobby using mostly de-comm equipment to keep my cost low. Below are some of the equipments that I managed to secured. Please see and let me know what other equipment is necessary...

1. 5ft Tank with built in Sump

2. Return Pump

3. 1/2 HP Chiller

4. 5ft Lighting 4x80w

5. Skimmer - Have not decided yet... a few choices BM, Becklett, Deltec

any other equipment that I need? thanks guys for your help. Will post pictures of the journey once I embark on it....LOL

Hi bro, nice to see u post a tank thread here, I think u have most of the basic equipment but you will have to decide what you want to keep. Example the equipment for keep FOWLR and SPS tank will be totally different. But the main equipment will be the same, like skimmer, go for the best within your budget and remember to ensure the skimmer can fit into the sump. Other thing that u need is bio material like biohome plus, bio ring, etc... to bring down nitrate.

For equipment there is a lot of brand out there with different design and pricing, but in general what u paid is what u get, for german brand equipment, we are paying a lot for for reliability and performance. For performance, now a lot of the China brand do come out with similar design with good performance at a lower price tag, but reliability is a big question. Hope it is helpful.

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

Hi bro, nice to see u post a tank thread here, I think u have most of the basic equipment but you will have to decide what you want to keep. Example the equipment for keep FOWLR and SPS tank will be totally different. But the main equipment will be the same, like skimmer, go for the best within your budget and remember to ensure the skimmer can fit into the sump. Other thing that u need is bio material like biohome plus, bio ring, etc... to bring down nitrate.

For equipment there is a lot of brand out there with different design and pricing, but in general what u paid is what u get, for german brand equipment, we are paying a lot for for reliability and performance. For performance, now a lot of the China brand do come out with similar design with good performance at a lower price tag, but reliability is a big question. Hope it is helpful.

Thanks help a lot.

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

Thanks will take note of that and start hunting for powerhead and wavemaker..... :thumbsup:

Bro no hurry, after u get your tank, u will need to cycle your tank and do your rock scape. The rock scape will determine how many wave maker u need? What u going to keep is important also, for sofies with some fishes, maybe 1 at each side is enough.

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

Bro no hurry, after u get your tank, u will need to cycle your tank and do your rock scape. The rock scape will determine how many wave maker u need? What u going to keep is important also, for sofies with some fishes, maybe 1 at each side is enough.

Noted with thanks.

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

If you are planning to keep fish and corals (LPS/SPS) ... you will probably need to consider a CR (calcium reactor) and/or a FR (fluideised reactor) to keep your water parameters in stable condition...alternatively, a dosing pump might be an good option to consdier... :thumbsup:

fts-022012.JPG

• SRC Member

hmm....Tank will be arriving on 13th March....NSW will be coming on 14th March.....already told my wife to get market prawn for the cycling process.....anxious

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank

• 4 weeks later...

Hi TS,

do share with us the pic of your marine tank!

Just click on the in his signature, that's the page

FOWLR Tank : 48"x24"x30"

Sump: 36"x18"x20"

Return Pump : Rio 32HF

Skimmer: Reef Octopus DNW-110

Lighting: 150W MH