My first marine tank!

anothermix

Hi all! My marine tank is finally up and running. As u can see by the pic, it's a 2x2x1.5 tank. Let me know what u guys think about it! Also, could any experienced bros here give me some suggestions of corals that is suitable for my tank? My lighting is a 2x24w t5. Many thanks!

post-18220-13305204457183_thumb.jpg

post-18220-13305204627017_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

hi! my livestocks will probably have a pair of yellow tailed damsels, blue tang, pair of clowns and harlequin shrimps, blue legged hermit, peppermint shrimps and maybe a tuxedo urchin.

my equips are currently dymax ph2500, dymax ph1200, aquazonic 9w uv sterilizer, aquaC remora hang on skimmer, maxi-jet 1200. (just reserved a cl650 chiller from a bro pending collection). any advices or suggestions on what LPS or soft corals i can keep for my tank? Thanks!

hi those look like azure damsels rather than yellow tails.

blue tangs prob need more space (but prob can get small specimen and upgrade tank later) watch out for aggression from damsels. blue tangs get big, maybe consider a smaller tang like zebrasoma or bristletooth genus? ie. yellow, scopas or kole tang?

harlequin shrimps need special diet (starfishes) so must be prepared to feed these regularly.

tuxedo urchin good for this size tank.

clowns stick to smaller species rather than maroon or tomato as these can get quite large.

your lighting prob can keep mushrooms and zoas. (place them higher up if you see them reaching for light) other more demanding corals (lps) i not too sure.

I'm aware of harlequin shrimp's diet, but they are too hard to resist! hmm in any case regarding coral issues, how about bubble coral or sun corals? since they dont require strong lighting. also any goby species that could do well in my tank? was thinking of the mandarin goby

sun corals don't depend on light for food, so should be ok. But must be prepared to feed them regularly.

mandarins need a good supply of pods, so cannot put in fishes that compete with them for this food (ie wrasses). make sure tank is mature enough (websites recommend at least 1 year) so that there are enough pods. Best is have a refugium connected to tank so pods have safe place to breed.

alternately you can also go looking around for mandarins that are trained to eat prepared foods.

Easier gobies would be the watchman gobies, firefish.

• 3 weeks later...

Yellow tang would help to control algae in your tank, but the cauliflower is not easy to keep since it require constant feeding .. You can try keeping softie or some LPS corals as well.

Happy reefing. :thumbsup: