Thinking of doing a algae scrubber/extractor. Need advice on the

plastic screen n water flow.

Where can I get the screen from?

What speed of water flow do I need n how to attach screen to

tubing? According to sm100 , flow should be 35gph, but not sure

how to attach screen to tubing. Irwana's looks like commercial style

not appropriate for home.

Any advice welcome. Kum Siah ☺

Screen can get from artfriend. Also, use a hole saw to roughen up the surface before use. Ask for plastic canvas; the type used for cross-stitching. With regards to screen size, wAter flow, lighting .. Can visit Santa monica's forum www.algeascrubber.net

Info at FAQ

• SRC Member

Saw mine with a full sized hack saw. Mine is only 11" long. So still managed to cut a messy slit and curved wider with a blade.

is it extracting algae on ur screen?

i just got my screen from Artfriend n would be starting soon - 12 x 18inch. prob make 2 pieces, so as to alternate washing the sheet

It doesn't extract the algae. Instead its the growing hair algae on the screen will absorb nitrate and phosphate for food. You do not need another screen to change over. A new screen will take very long to grow algae. Mine took more than 3 weeks before algae starts growing (and I don't even run a skimmer then). Just scrape away the hair algae growth every week and the remaining bits of algae will "seed" the next round of algae growth. Remember to roughen up the screen with a hole saw brutally until it's really rough. My screen below...

post-7476-13311217681441_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am thinking of building my own scrubber and running it direct from my return pipe in to sump but there is no a lot of space, meaning the size of the screen would only be 18inch x 8inch will this still be effective?