Sad Day For My FOWLR

• SRC Member

13/3/12 is a sad day for me.. When i reach home my house eletricity was trip. When i on back, there was like a lighting light & current sound & it trip again.. Smell like burning.. Then pull out the plug & on back my eletricity found my fish all dead..

runninggirl.gif

• SRC Member

Sad indeed. Find and fix the cause of the trip before restarting.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Sorry for the setback bro. It also a wake up call for reefers here & looks like we definately need to have a plan B for power outage.

I had a power trip days ago at 1am as it was a rainy night. The outage lasted until morning 6am. Lucky no fish dies of this short period.

I would greatly appreciate if fellows reefers who have a batteries back up fixtures to advice us. Many thanks.

• Like 1

My tank setting:
Size : 48" x 24" x 24"
Return pump: 1 x Vectra S2, 1 x Eheim 1264
Skimmer: Skimz DC skimmer SV203
Lighting : Maxspect Razor R420R 160W
Chiller : 1hp drop coil compressor
Wave maker : 2 x Nero 5 , 1 x Tunze 6055

Top up : Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Could it be a overload?

13/3/12 is also unlucky for me, my car got hit... sigh....

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Sorry for your losses, it reminds me of my power trip in last year. Although it occurs for about 6 hours, I lost almost all of the fishes, the power trip and the ich outbreak that comes after the power trip.

It is necessary to have a backup power supply, Any good advices on the backup power supply setup......

If you suspect the pump, just ditch it and get a reliable pump.

I made the mistake many years back by selecting pump base on price. Now I only get pumps that have been proven to last.

For equipment that runs 24/7 such as pumps and wave-makers etc, I personally find that it is prudent to get reliable ones.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Problem of UPS is that the battery only last 1-3 hrs only (Depends on your load though). I would prefer a mini wireless camera for monitoring though. Nowadays quite cheap, less than $150.

Bro,no offend just to share my thought for camera. if power failure your camera also can't work. secondly, sometime u can't get any connection then u won't know it a power failure or internet connection issue. lastly it will not help if it happens in the middle of the night.

i had seen a device that work on a battery pump. if the power fail it trigger the battery pump and the battery can less very long if u have use a battery pump u know what i mean

• SRC Member

Bro,no offend just to share my thought for camera. if power failure your camera also can't work. secondly, sometime u can't get any connection then u won't know it a power failure or internet connection issue. lastly it will not help if it happens in the middle of the night.

i had seen a device that work on a battery pump. if the power fail it trigger the battery pump and the battery can less very long if u have use a battery pump u know what i mean

LOL ! Ya, forgot that when there's no power, no camera will exist also too. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hmmm, I wonder is there a commercial system out there that can detect a power failure, hence trigger a pump.

From an IT perspective, an IP camera can be ping repeatly from your desktop, so once a lost connection(no power) is detected, an alert can be pushed to either ya mobile or laptop etc..but...ya have to on your broadband 24/7.

Btw, for a powertrip, what is the no.1 death cause? lack of oxygen/flow? or?

LOL ! Ya, forgot that when there's no power, no camera will exist also too. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hmmm, I wonder is there a commercial system out there that can detect a power failure, hence trigger a pump.

From an IT perspective, an IP camera can be ping repeatly from your desktop, so once a lost connection(no power) is detected, an alert can be pushed to either ya mobile or laptop etc..but...ya have to on your broadband 24/7.

Btw, for a powertrip, what is the no.1 death cause? lack of oxygen/flow? or?

Try this cheap DIY.. hope its help....

Convert Automatic Emergency Light to Automatic Emergency Air pump system.... Very simple project, pump on only when outage slightly different concept Versus UPS.. can last more than one days....

note* you might need a resistor depend battery source... you can either add solar source for charging purpose..

post-9248-0-88078000-1331877915_thumb.jp

Bro azlindaza,

Sorry for your losses.... hope you fix the problem and reef on....

Cheers and Happy Reefing....

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Sorry for the sad news bro . I have had this bad experience too when i was out and came back the whole house had no power. When i on the power back, my flame and yellow tang died ...

Maybe you might want to invest on those UPS.

Sorry for the sad news bro . I have had this bad experience too when i was out and came back the whole house had no power. When i on the power back, my flame and yellow tang died ...

Maybe you might want to invest on those UPS.

Agree, UPS is a must if you love yr livestock but I think azlindaza case cant resolve by UPS.. Cause trip again even retry until he unplug the tank electric stuff.

Probably, bro azlindaza, able to snap some pics on your setup or brand of pump as case learning purpose. Could it be pump run dry? How long was the Trip? What is yr tank size? Is the main circuit breaker trip or sub-circuit? If purely your pump fault, we expect sub-circuit circuit breaker trip only.

Cheers...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Try this cheap DIY.. hope its help....

Convert Automatic Emergency Light to Automatic Emergency Air pump system.... Very simple project, pump on only when outage slightly different concept Versus UPS.. can last more than one days....

note* you might need a resistor depend battery source... you can either add solar source for charging purpose..

post-9248-0-88078000-1331877915_thumb.jp

Bro azlindaza,

Sorry for your losses.... hope you fix the problem and reef on....

Cheers and Happy Reefing....

Wow this is a very good idea.. Instead of lighting up the emergency light during a black out or power failure, it turn the power operation air pump on. The low power consumption of the air pump mean that it can last very long, until someone came back home to save the day :superman: