Lights advice...

RAV-65

Hi all,

after reading all the feedback here, whereby the MH 10KK promotes better growth for corals as compared to 20KK, I tot of using a MH 1x250W 10KK and a T5 Actinic blue light for the blue colour effect in my 3x2x2 tank... can anyone who is familiar with lightings give some advice/opinion?

Vincent Ho :thanks:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

bro,

it really depends on what you wanna keep.... In your case where the depth is only going to be 24" a 150W type bulb should suffice cos after adding your sand bed you would have abt 18" od depth left... but if you intend to go into full flegde SPS (like me... :evil:) then a 250W type would be a better choice.... rule of the thumb is 150W for every two feet....

you might wanna pm Glare for more information as he is selling the lightings and is also the same place where I got mine.... :P

Hmm... but actually, i wanna know if it's good enuff.... for some hard corals and some LS... coz it seems the 20KK dun really promote coral growth, but i like the 20KK light effect, so i tot of having the blue actinic to provide some "blue".... :)

Vincent Ho

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

dun understand what you mean by " it seems the 20KK dun really promote coral growth "... if it is MH 250W I dont see why not.... your lights need to be only for abt 10hr in the day and then switch off in the nights.... What sort of corals are you looking to "grow"... :P

Hi Blenny,

I intend to hang the light about 1 feet above the water surface, heard its better to use a 250W... so that the light can penetrate into the tank all the way.... would u agree?

Can anyone else confirm this too?

Vincent Ho

post-34-1105890976.jpg