new 5ft setup

hi, i am thinking of converting my 5x2x2 aro setup into a fowlr setup. the tank is a bare tank and i'm gonna be using my existing cannisters (1 x 2026, 1 x 2217). need sum advise on the other forms of filtration suitable for my setup. e.g. dsb , skimmers etc.

my tank has euro bracing as well, so do the hangon protein skimmer fit over the bracing?

also, can anyone recommend any protein skimmers with external pumps? don't want to have so much stuff in the water.

• SRC Member

Why dont you rethink bout using your canister. First if it enough for fresh water does not mean enough for marine and also they will require very high maintenance or they will become a nitrate factory. Why not approach a glass maker and see if they willing to help you drill your tank and go for a sump system?

Not unless you plan to keep fish only lor. :lol:

• SRC Member
thanks for the advice.

i looking for a less complicated alternative. worst come to worst i get an i-box. anybody here have a cannister setup?

would like to know what equipment is needed for a fowlr setup.

hmz.... you gotta check if your tank's glass is thick enough to tahan salt water and all..... salt water higher density.... heavier than your average fresh water....

just my 2 cents worth...

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

how thick is your glass tank in the first place...

for a 5ft tank. your glass need to be 12mm and above.

yup i suggest you go get a i-box better...

cannister wont really work well in marine tank one. beside hardly anyone here use it. If you want to die die also use cannister then can but your LS load has to be very little else your whole tank will crush.

Lastly it also depend on how much LR you are going to put in your tank and how much sand..

i notice that for marine tanks, the sump doesn't really contain any filter media besides sand and some filter wool. then what's the purpose of the sump?

What filter wool? :lol:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

A number of function. Sump design without bio balls and ceramic ring are cos although they work at first, after awhile, dirt get trap in them. And instead of help, it generate alot of NO3 which is harmful to corals and fish.

The main purpose of the sump is to increase the water volume, hide unsightly equipement, easy dosing, oxygen exchange due to trickling, ease of maintenace etc.

Some choose to only use filter wool to remove larger unwant material (act as a prefilter). This can be easily change before they have a achance to break down. As for the filtration, the live rocks will house the bacteria to nitrify and de nitrify. Micron bags can also be used to remove the detri more effectively but at a much higher cost.

What most reefers use now is a combination of berlin/DSB. Where the LR nitrify/denitrify, the skimmer remove protein/organics to ease the bact load and the DSB to denitrify. But a important aspect. must have high water flow to prevent dead spot.

• Sponsor

Hi there, just to add my two cents worth... :rolleyes:

The filter box at the bottom can serve as additional space for biological filtration, some hobbyists have converted it to a refugium for microbes and macroalgae to break down the waste and suck up the nitrates...it also aerates the water since most people allow a trickle plate to exist over the filter wool(sea water holds 20 times less oxygen than freshwater at the same temperature). If you want a FOWLR tank, pack it up with LR for the biological filtration, I have over 100kg of LR and of sand in my 6ft at home. Add a good skimmer to take out the urine and excess proteins., pack good activated carbon to take out the yellowing compounds in the water and on a personnal note, add a good UV sterilizer switched on 24x7 to keep the disease out. B)