Help! Is my bubble tip dying ????

Slayer213

hi all, this is the second time i have tried a bta, first time was years ago when i just starting reefing... its lasted about a month before it whithered away.... Fast foward, yesterday, i got another BTA just to host my maroon clown. To my surprise, they clicked after some coaxing!!! but i come to realise that my bta got a strange color, its white with pink tips (exactly the same color as my previous bta)... i read from the net that this coloring is actually a sign of bleaching and that the anemone will not last long... is it true? does anyone have any experience in bta this color?? thanks! (sorry about the bluish due to my blue LEDS)

IMG_2370.png

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

• SRC Member

Yours is a badly bleached specimen. Without strong lights and regular feeding, it will most likely perish.

If its tentacles are still sticky and it's mouth tightly shut, there is still hope. You can try feeding it with enriched mysis. If it has feeding response and ingests the food, it's a positive sign. Allow for 3-4 day intervals between feeds as they need time to digest food and excrete waste. Note that their mouths are also the anuses so what goes in must come out before new things can go in. With TLC and some luck, it will slowly regain the commensal zooxanthellae. When it does, it's coloration will be different from current. I had brought simarly bleached specimens to health before with my recommendation above.

The fish hosting in it is a good sign as some fish will leave leftover food for the anemone. My own observation is that fish more likely grab food from than give to the anemone. They will defecate on the anemone and these are ingested by the host too. That's recycling. LOL

White, yellow, pink, transluscent specimens does look nice in the LFS but any experienced reefer knows that they are either dyed or bleached and are not worth the $. If their coloration are natural, their pice tags usually is very steep.

Good luck.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Thats what i thought.... Sigh... No wonder my first bta die so prematurely... Really love this color though, thought i got a good deal when i bought it, wasnt expensive... I will try to nurse it back to health. But i reckon its gonna be dead soon. I tried to gently squirt some mysis on it, none seems to stick to its tentacles... Maybe i will try chop market prawn tonight. Thanks!!

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

Sorry, does it mean that a healthy anemone has a darker color? How to spot a heathly bubble tip? All i know is that the mouth should be closed.... Thanks

• SRC Member

Bta normally comes in shades of red, green, brown, maroon. Healthy specimens have good coloration, tight mouth, sticky tentacles, good inflation, good feeding response.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Bta normally comes in shades of red, green, brown, maroon. Healthy specimens have good coloration, tight mouth, sticky tentacles, good inflation, good feeding response.

Thanks got it! Will try to look out for another one just in case my pink beauty dont survive...