DIY light stand or mount

borinz

• 2 weeks later...

The black line is aluminium square 1" tube. The Yellow is the back of the spotlight with the handle removed, so there should be 2 hole on each side for screw that secure the original handle. drill 3 set of hole along the top bar to secure the red line in the image, thats where longer screws are need to secure the spotlight in between the 2 top parallel bar, using the hole in the spotlight. My plan is to secure 3 40W on the top bar over a 4' span. This rig sits on top of the tank, the rack and spotlight should not be too heavy ....... I hope. :)

Now to find a shop to customise this at a reasonable price.

~ Each 40W LED bulb should give 3200 lumens. ~ Total 3 bulbs should be 9600 lumens.

post-13965-0-29844200-1351058793.jpg

Have you considered using LED strips, would also be easier to mount....

There are water proof LED strpss availanle in Slim Lim tower....

Yah, they look bright but I think the lumens of those strips are not that high and the light is scattered so might not be suitable if the clams isn't just below the surface.

• SRC Member

Good choice.. these cost abt $20 dollars in ebay and very affordable. They even have color changing remotes.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

Yah, they look bright but I think the lumens of those strips are not that high and the light is scattered so might not be suitable if the clams isn't just below the surface.

Actually I thought so too....but when I went to Sim Lim Sq....I saw a "bright" different light.....

What is made in US, we have the China version.....no need to last 100 yrs....5yrs to 10yrs will do....

http://www.flexfireleds.com/categories/LED-Flexible-strips/High-Intensity-UltraBright-LED-Strips/

• Like 1

Good choice.. these cost abt $20 dollars in ebay and very affordable. They even have color changing remotes.

ebay can be quite costly....especially for layman as the cutting (the strips come in 5m, 10m or 50ft)

Multi-color may me more costly as you might need a controller in addition to the DC converter.

I just help my friend create 4x 4ft to replace his flourscent tubes. we placed the strips inside the PVC cable trunking (w/o cover) to make then straight

http://kennedyguan.en.made-in-china.com/product/kMNEFHtxgBra/China-Solid-PVC-Trunking.html

• SRC Member

The 10watt led with full housing is only 20 dollars. compare to u buy a long strip may still not enough for deep tank. U just need a few of 10w or even up or 50w if your tank is deep.

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Artica 1/5

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

• SRC Member

For wat i know the clams will move if they dont like the location. They will keep on dropping from cliffs. U need to try afew times on different area

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Artica 1/5

Member of:

• SRC Member

there are plenty of light fittings n holders u can find in sim lim tower. The 3rd level.

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Artica 1/5

Member of:

Thx for reminder....I park at SLS before 12pm...walk over so later can drive into CBD...

Went too early...before start work ard 9am....most still closed....think maybe next Sat morning

Guess mazarra stand is on the high end version. DIY stand should be able to do the job just fine. But personal feel is that LED still lacks the "power" of MH lights

I have seen those high powered LED light strips which are quite expensive as compared to the brighter LED strips.

I shall not go into the debate of LED vs MH etc. Just google the comparisons, but make sure that the review is very recent as there had been many improvements lately.

Furthermore, the technology has been leaked to China only early part of this yr....so the Ultra-Bright "China-Made" LEDs have only started entered our small SG market.

Are similar lamp fittings (without bulbs and electronics) available in SG ? I want to retrofit the fittings with the LED strips so they will "stand" on the tanks....

I doubt got so nice ones, I only found those normal FL ligth fixture commonly used for those HDB void deck.

Those nice aquarium light casing (with legs) probably have to looks for second hand market from local aquarium forum, espcially those that are spolit since you only need the frame/casing.

I just help my friend create 4x 4ft to replace his flourscent tubes. we placed the strips inside the PVC cable trunking (w/o cover) to make then straight

The strips need 12 or 9V DC? I assume you use a ACDC converter or one of those phone charger type plug? How many Amp per feet or meter does the strips require? I was thinking doing some general lighting with the strips too and use the LED spot to light area for clam and zoa. But it's all in the planning phase, esp the spotlight.

Do you mind tell whats the configuration u used.

I doubt got so nice ones, I only found those normal FL ligth fixture commonly used for those HDB void deck.

Those nice aquarium light casing (with legs) probably have to looks for second hand market from local aquarium forum, espcially those that are spolit since you only need the frame/casing.

Just to make clear....I so far tried for large tanks which we used the strips to replace florescent lamps. If u using those HDB reflectors, you can paste the LED strips in the reflector.

The strips need 12 or 9V DC? I assume you use a ACDC converter or one of those phone charger type plug? How many Amp per feet or meter does the strips require? I was thinking doing some general lighting with the strips too and use the LED spot to light area for clam and zoa. But it's all in the planning phase, esp the spotlight.

Do you mind tell whats the configuration u used.

Sorry no Pics as not my place....Owner said only rocks so no pics till cycling over...

This is what we did for the 4ft (L) x 2.5ft (H) x 2ft(W) tank.

3x analog timers (the digital ones, the LED panel seem to fade after 2yrs)

A few pieces of 4ft PVC trunking

2x 3ft Normal LED strips - 11am to 5pm + 8:30pm to 10:30pm

2x 3ft Super Bright LED strips (Pls note these are not the Ultra-Bright) - 4:30pm to 9pm

2x 3ft dark blue LED strips - 8:30pm to 11pm

(Pls note these are not the Blue actinic as we had hard time explaining 453nm in SLT, but if anyone can advise on 453nm in layman pls help)

When we bought the pair of LED strips, we had it with 1.5m of trailing wire terminated with a plug that fits to a AC/DC adapter, 12V 2A (sold and done by LED shop).

The strips were place Normal, Super Bright, Blue, Normal, Super Bright, Blue

Sorry no Pics as not my place....Owner said only rocks so no pics till cycling over...

This is what we did for the 4ft (L) x 2.5ft (H) x 2ft(W) tank.

3x analog timers (the digital ones, the LED panel seem to fade after 2yrs)

A few pieces of 4ft PVC trunking

2x 3ft Normal LED strips - 11am to 5pm + 8:30pm to 10:30pm

2x 3ft Super Bright LED strips (Pls note these are not the Ultra-Bright) - 4:30pm to 9pm

2x 3ft dark blue LED strips - 8:30pm to 11pm

(Pls note these are not the Blue actinic as we had hard time explaining 453nm in SLT, but if anyone can advise on 453nm in layman pls help)

When we bought the pair of LED strips, we had it with 1.5m of trailing wire terminated with a plug that fits to a AC/DC adapter, 12V 2A (sold and done by LED shop).

The strips were place Normal, Super Bright, Blue, Normal, Super Bright, Blue

Thanks for the info. I have a good idea how it done now.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...