Advice for sump layout design

kaykay

• SRC Member

Dear reefers, do feedback on my sump tank design. Picture attached below.

The equipment and media in my sump will be as follow..

1st compartment: biohome, rowaphos (filter bagged).

Water from this 1st will partially flow to the 2nd compartment, which will house my UAS at the side. This compartment will also be my refugium, as there will be lots of pods from the UAS.

3rd compartment will have water from both the 1st and 2nd compartments. My return pump and chiller pumps will be here.

Do note that I'm not running any skimmers.

Baffle plates for this T-shape combi is a headache too. Anyone done anything like his before?

post-3628-13526205720665_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

1st compartment may have bubbles. They will overflow into 3rd and your return pump may send the bubbles back into your DT. Same problem when the bubbles overflows into 2nd, then into 3rd.

To counter this, you can place baffles in 1st compartment to force water to go under before reaching 2nd & 3rd compartment.

• SRC Member

I have a small sump.. I used a water jug as the first compartment.. drill holes @ bottom.. hang the jug on 1 side.. easy to remove filter and media for cleanup.. reduces need for 1 more baffle area -> more space for refugium. Hth

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

• SRC Member

I have the following plan (revised). Think it'll work? Advice pls. post-3628-13526951397521_thumb.jpgThat'll mean only baffles from 1st to 2nd compartment. As the flow rate in the proposed refugium will be pretty fast, seahorses and pipefishes will be out of the equation. Just want to cultivate pods with my algae scrubber. Water will enter the 3rd compartment via many 5mm holes from the fuge.