Looking to set up FOWLR, advise needed

Flavs

Hi guys, I'm looking to set up a FOWLR tank soon. Considering a 4ft tank with 1.5ft width and either 2ft or 2.5ft height tank. This would be my dream marine setup to house my favorite non reef safe fishes.

Questions I have are,

How many of kg of live rocks will be needed?

Is it alright to not have a sump tank, but just skimmer hooked to a canister?

If I should have a sump, would a fresh water configured sump be alright to use on marine setup?

Is Beamswork good enough for this FOWLR?

Livestocks I'm considering, please advise which fishes I can't keep together.

Yellow tang

Blue tang

Powder blue tang

Emperor Angel

Queen Angel

Flame Angel

Banggai Cardinal

Harlequin Tuskfish

Bannerfish

Coral beauty

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the world of marine....thickness of the glass matters most....10 to 12mm will,be on the safer side.

Rocks depends on the land scape you would,prefer to have but live rocks is a must.

Sump tank will be most appropriate and you need to decide whether u prefer biological, mechanical Filteration

No corals means lighting has no restriction. LED would be a good choice.

For fishes...decide which size you would prefer and if possible Quartine the fishes before releasing them into you main tank.

Good cycling of water and ensuring acceptable water parameters is achieved before introducing live stocks...

Is not the display tank that does the job but the sump tank which is hidden below in the dark does the magic of any wonderful marine tank.....

• Like 1

Have respect for others...,listen....share and value experience..............

Thank bro! I'm into marine for some time already. Set up two nano reef tank already, so looking to try out a bigger tank.

So for the sump, is it okay for me to use the freshwater configured ones instead of one specially made for saltwater? I'm getting second hand ones due to a tight budget. Those previously used for freshwater would be easier to find.

• SRC Supporter
Thank bro! I'm into marine for some time already. Set up two nano reef tank already, so looking to try out a bigger tank.

So for the sump, is it okay for me to use the freshwater configured ones instead of one specially made for saltwater? I'm getting second hand ones due to a tight budget. Those previously used for freshwater would be easier to find.

Yes you can use back the system from freshwater if the tank is thick enough and the sump compartment is able to house your equipment like skimmer ect..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with harlequin-mania. Decide which compartment to have which equipment and take into consideration whether u want to run a FR....algae remover from gem surf.....sand bed......bio ball, filter shocks...and so on....have the sump tank designing in mind before viewing any second hand sum tank.... When I upgrade from 2 to 4ft tank, I was luck to buy a second hand complete set where the owner was keeping fresh water fish like guppies but the tank was design and build by coral reef aquarium......hope u will find one good sum tank which will be the heart of your tank....looking forward to see your tank set up picture soon....

Have respect for others...,listen....share and value experience..............