Newbie here. Some advise needed

Hi, currently I cycle my tank about 20 days. Inside got few pcs of live rock and fishes (2 damsel and 3 nemo) from my friend as he anyhow buy and dump it in. My next shipment of live rock (about 15 kg) will come end of dec. I got a sump (wrong size) too small I guess.

My question, what other modular that I require for a healthy reef tank? I wanted to use a LED light but no knowledge at all. Any suggestion for me to refer? Before I join this forum I only get advice from lfs and no third party opinion.

Thanks.

Hi, currently I cycle my tank about 20 days. Inside got few pcs of live rock and fishes (2 damsel and 3 nemo) from my friend as he anyhow buy and dump it in. My next shipment of live rock (about 15 kg) will come end of dec. I got a sump (wrong size) too small I guess.

My question, what other modular that I require for a healthy reef tank? I wanted to use a LED light but no knowledge at all. Any suggestion for me to refer? Before I join this forum I only get advice from lfs and no third party opinion.

Thanks.

save the (2 damsel and 3 nemo), take out and separate using another pail. We should all be a responsible reefer :)

What do you intend to keep?

if

Fowlr - lighting is not very critical.

Sofie and LPS - good LED are ok.

Easy SPS like BN or Monti - should be able with good LED set

Acropora and other difficult sps - beware of LED

My 2 cents

Thanks. I intended to go for those easy soft coral like zoas, poly and mushroom and anemones.

Didnt know that will stress the fishes. It already in there for about 2 weeks. Ok will do that.

I change the sump tank now. Thanks for the feedback. I already set the level and when all pymp power down, they will came just nice in the sump tank.

As for live rock, the lfs said next shipment only end of the mth. Wonder this will pro-long my cycle when added in more live rock then.

• SRC Member

New liverock new die off u may encounter a 2nd mini cycle but if the current cycle is done properly u may want to keep dosing bacteria to build up mass...

Btw I think u can obtain more liverock from other lfs or bro here

:: just a noob ::

My tank 2.5 feet high. Whats the watt that recommended for me? Any advice?

just sharing not a led guru.

In general, Led light do not depend on the wattage.

But at least choose a 3w each for bulb emitter. ( stronger light source)

Marine aquarium Led depend on the quality of the bulb use that give high PAR or PUR Value.

(example the cree XPG (white) and XPE (blue) the next important thing we need to know is the type of lens needed.)

for a 2.5 ft tank depth, best to choose a mixture of lens.

You can select the best combination of lens that best suit your coral placement.

for LPS corals that need strong light and placement is bottom, you can choose a 70 degree lens to focus on that area.

LPS and softie, i think in general, they are ok from 70-90 deg lens.

40 to 70 degree for sps.

Gee.. found this in my live rock.. reason why I split my stock to two in-coming because I want to slowly monitor my new live rock.. and I get this out from the rock.. thank God.. I saw it before I place any coral in.. hope my next batch of live rock dont have any of this anymore.. what is this bug anyway? Looks danger to coral to me..

post-22115-0-95296800-1356371762_thumb.j

post-22115-0-19064800-1356371798_thumb.j

post-22115-0-61469700-1356371830_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thats a bristle worm... Good news: they eat left overs and detritus. Bad news: they attack corals and fish if they gets too big and hungry.. U can get a CBS or dottyback, they eat bristle worms... Nice setup u got there!

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

Oh... Btw anemones are not easy to keep... If you haven had any reefing experience, i suggest u wait awhile to gain more exp... If u still looking to keep anemone, u can get a bubble tip anemone. Its one if the easier anemones to keep... Read up more about them before getting it as theres a few things to consider and plan. Things like lighting, water flow and placement. Just my 2 cents... If budget is not an issue... Try looking at maxspect razor LED, its an amazing piece of equipment. In terms of aesthetic, function and performance...i think its worth it. But $$$$ though.. Hope this helps

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino