which light set produce most heat?

it gotta be MH

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

led also have heat, but t5 slightly more than led

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• SRC Member

Pls correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to be very careful when you talk about LEDs consuming less power. It still depends on the wattage of the lightset you are using.

For example, if you use a 2ft 4 tubes T5 HO, which consumes 24W per tube, your total power consumption would be 96W. If you swap to a Maxspect G2 110W, your power consumption would naturally be 110W. Active cooling of the LEDs also add to power consumption. However, this is not inclusive of savings from chiller kicking in less, etc, but just a direct comparison.

I'm just stating that it doesn't mean using LEDs immediately equals savings. You have to do your own math.

I'm running DIY LEDs and I think based on same wattage, LEDs actually produce more heat than T5s as the beams are more focused.

So I will rank them MH > LED > T5 (wattage for wattage).

However, if you have sufficient air movement to cool your tank around the top of the tank, I'm thinking MH > LED = T5

MH is easily the hottest.

I could PM you the photo of my DIY LED if you like.. Let me know?

4 x 2 x 1 low tank

DIY LED

Trying to minimise equipment as much as possible.

Would love to make new friends in the reefing community - PM me!

A short video of my tank on a Sunday morning