Bio-pellet make the water cloudy

gymbvolka

• SRC Member

Have a question re flow rate in a FR containing biopellets.

I have a Skimz Sidea FR (not sure volume but cylinder is 16 inches tall and 5 inches diameter). I put in about 250gm of biopellets and run via a 2000 L/H pump. The biopellets movement like volcano larva flowing, ie, smooth roll over each other and not bouncing up and down the chamber. Some 'dead spots' (though stirring very slowly) seemed to be at the bottom of the chamber.

Is the flow rate too low? What should be the flow rate or how should be the movement of the biopellets.

IMO, if the biopellets are able to "roll or jump", it means there is no dead spot in that area and it should be ok.

Is the volume of biopellets sufficient for my tank of 250 litres? Water was never cloudy after introducing the biopellets.

The recommended volume should be stated in the packaging.

I am also using PO4 removal pellets in a separate filter bag in sump.

Kindly advise based on above what should I do to reduce PO4 further.

Remember to place the filter bag in a high flow area.

PO4 removal media is more effective when used with FR, but that means you have one more equipment to maintain.

• 2 weeks later...

just to update on today progress so others ( reefers like me with the same problem) can also learn.

Today the main tank water is much clearer. i believe the cloudiness will be totally clear by tomorrow.

What i have done :

1. reduce the bio-pellet to 150-200ml from 500 ml

2. reduce the flow of the FR

3. install the air pump to increase oxygen level (All fishes breathing normal and started to feed again) thank you ReefFish Bro !

4. i do not perform water change.

What is my mistake.

1. using all the 500ml at one go. ( never read more before execute this plan)

As my aim was to reduce nitrate level ( very new to bp) ,my nitrate level reading was > more than 20ppm with high bio load, adding all the bio-pellet at one time causes a high bacteria bloom ( results very cloudy water )

I read further, if your nitrate level is low and less bio load, most likely cloudy water will not happen or slightly less cloudy. the cloudiness will go away in time.

It is advisable not to use with any other carbon source but activated carbon is ok. Maintain the water parameter as usual and change water as usual ( normal routine)

if possible wash the bp with distilled water or tank water, soak it for a while until the bp is ready to be in the FR.

I will perform my water change this weekend (weekly routine) and will slowly add in the bp after 1-2 week to test for nitrate level.

Thank you guys for sharing with me , i was worry and panic and nearly wanted to throw away the new FR which i just bought and turn back to cheato. lol

(now i am using both )

thanks for sharing!

Sorri to hijack this thread. Juz to share my experience & my knowledge with those that are going to use biopellets. Introduction time just add 50-100ml enough. For smaller tank, 50ml should be ok. Wait for a week, during this one week, cloudy water will form. This is due to bacteria bloom as bacteria had already colonize the biopellets. Excess ones will be swimming in the water. The more u add intially, the worst it will be, bacteria need O2 to survive too. More bacteria will reduce O2 a lot. If we add a bit only, the situation will not be so bad. Pump in air if u feel uncomfortable or if livestock struggle to breath. Skimmer must keep on running. Clean it immediately once full & immediately on back. Skimmer provides another source of dissolved O2. The cloudiness will go away, at the most a few days. And, the bacteria poses no harm at all only danger is they reduce O2. Pump in air. U can off the air pump after everything normalised & resume adding the pellets slowly, per week 100ml, till your required amt. At this time, when the bacteria bloom stops, the bacteria colony are stable in the pellets and will adjusted accordingly to your bioload, it is now ok to 'overdose' a bit more for the pellets. Why overdose? U never know when you will need more bacteria in your pellets to handle extra eg: fish died somewhere and u cannot find it's body. U can contiune voka dosing, for me biofuel. This two has been done by fellow reefers & it is effective. Some might cause adverse effect, i had come across discussion here regarding some additives they used & have some issue. (Don't want to mention names, look out for this topic). Do not replace the pellets, only add in to replace the amt that have been eaten up by the bacteria. Also ensure all pellets are tumbling to avoid dead legs which cause H2S formation, which is fatal and will kills/ wipe out the whole tank. This can be resolved by putting in more flow into the FR. For smaller tank, the amt be be lower, maybe half of what i stated. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

thanks for sharing, very well informative..

• 2 weeks later...