How long does ur DIY fans last?

jc85

• SRC Member

Hi Guys,

Juz wondering those of u who DIY ur fan, how long does urs last be they failed? Mine start failing ard 2months. I haev 3 of them and are all PC fans. I suspect its the salt creep (spelling?) that is causing it to fail especially when I on and off it.

Anyone has the same experience?

Thks

I have mine running 7/24 for more than a year already

Regards

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

I've five diy fans. Threee 80mm for the light hood and 2 X 6inches for the tank partition. All of them are on 24/7. the 80mm ones ran for around three yrs before stopping. The two 6inches fans have been running non-stop for two yrs and are still working.

Surprised that your pc fans stopped after only a few months. Can't imagine a computer PSU's fan fail after three month running 24/7. That is an unacceptably short life=span.

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

Juz wondering those of u who DIY ur fan, how long does urs last be they failed? Mine start failing ard 2months. I haev 3 of them and are all PC fans. I suspect its the salt creep (spelling?) that is causing it to fail especially when I on and off it.

Anyone has the same experience?

Thks

let me ask u something..

where is your blowning of the fan facing.. your fan is blowning facing down to the water or blowing up...

it's advisable to have the blowning facing down cause if you are blowning out you will cause alot salt flying in your house which you dont want also...

• SRC Member

let me ask u something..

where is your blowning of the fan facing.. your fan is blowning facing down to the water or blowing up...

it's advisable to have the blowning facing down cause if you are blowning out you will cause alot salt flying in your house which you dont want also...

I have mine blowing down to the water at angle.

post-9-1075793032.jpg

• SRC Member

Anyone king enough to help me DIY 2 x AC fan(for 2ft tank)?

I'm really blur about electrical stuff, went Sim Lim to try get the fan only to get nearly chop by the shop. they quot eme $25 for one AC fan.

Pls pls, really hope someone can help me here.

• SRC Member

hey calvin, can help you DIY, you bought the fans already? I can help you do the paralell connection. but will look very messy IMO. maybe someone can do it for u neater.

hey jc85 what is that stand that you're using to mount your fan??? Where to get?? I want that... I have two AC fans mounted very awkwardly... would like to know how your mounting your fans..

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
hey calvin, can help you DIY, you bought the fans already? I can help you do the paralell connection. but will look very messy IMO. maybe someone can do it for u neater.

hey jc85 what is that stand that you're using to mount your fan??? Where to get?? I want that... I have two AC fans mounted very awkwardly... would like to know how your mounting your fans..

nope, haven't get the stuff as i dunno wat to get in the first place. can u help me? i really hopeless when comes to such things.

u tell me wat to get then i go get liao, i look for u...can?

• SRC Member

how many fans you wanna connect?? MOre than one right?? If you just need to connect one very simple only dun need my help even. But if more than one maybe need.

You just get the number of fans you want. then about 5 metres of wire?? wire connecters and 3 pin plug. If you want, I have 6 wire connecters left, but dunno enough or not.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
how many fans you wanna connect?? MOre than one right?? If you just need to connect one very simple only dun need my help even. But if more than one maybe need.

You just get the number of fans you want. then about 5 metres of wire?? wire connecters and 3 pin plug. If you want, I have 6 wire connecters left, but dunno enough or not.

i'm connecting 2 AC fans. so i'll get all the neccessary. how about transformer? do i need tat?

Went Down SLS yesterday.

AC fan is around S$15.

FYI

Regards

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

My mounting? I juz use 2 piece of plastic (those Luohan separator)and drill hole in them. Then used cable tie to secure the fans on the plastic. Mine are those 4" x 4' DC fans.