Cheato or Bio-pellets

• SRC Member

This has been bugging me for quite awhile. Can i keep Cheato and use bio-pellets at the same time or do i have 2 get rid of 1?

Keep the cheatos in refugium also helps with the algae and such (Algae grows there mostly, correct me if im wrong)

Bio-pellets help 2 bring nitrates down..

Soo can use both or need 2 get rid of 1? If soo which 1?

• SRC Member

IMO there is no right or wrong answer but rather depends on what works best for your aquarium.

Biopellet serves as the home for denitrifying bacteria to grow and these bacteria consume nitrate in their growth. It can be effective but it needs to be used with a powerful protein skimmer because you need a way to get rid of the excessive bacteria produced. If not, the bacteria circulating in the main tank may also cause algae bloom. Thats was what happened to me.

On the other end, I feel cheato is more natural way to remove nitrate but it has a dependency on your refugium size. If your refugium is small and there is not much room for the chaeto anyway to grow then it will not be effective too. But cheato is a good home for pods which can serves as live food for your main tank.

Hence I feel may need to experiment and monitor which works for you. It can be a combination of both or either one.

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

• SRC Member

I never seed. When you get it from LFS or other reefers, bound to have pods within already.

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

i do run chaeto and bio pellets at the same time, I have quite a number of fishes, thus bio-load is pretty high (thanks to the 4 tangs I have).

So far No3 is zero (though heavy feeding) and chaeto is growing like mad (need to harvest at least once every fortnight).

I have a lot of pods in my ref which will overflow to return pump and pods will end up in DT, plenty of food for my mandarin.

Well, at least I do see my mandarin is fatter than before and very happy.

banner_9.aspx?id=kraken&t=8

• 3 weeks later...