really new in marine.... pls help

• SRC Member

hi all... im not new to fish keeping.... but really new in marine....

i decided to set aside one 2x1.5x1.5 tank to try out marine

decide to keep only marine fish with live rock in it....

got a few question... pls help

1. can i use my current overhead filter (sump system)...can i use it?

2. what type of skimmer do i need?... i dont really trust those air driven one.... i came across a "Azoo" skimmer...i was quote $30... he tell me thats a good price.... any comments?

3. planning to buy about 10kg of live rock... is than enough? cost at $5 per kg... (untreated) comments?

thanks alot for those help!!!!!

Hi, currently I'm also setting up another same tank size as yours to keep a pair of true perc.

IMO, the overhead filter is also just as good except that there will be lots of salt spray.

I'm using 'AA' skimmer airdriven type($3.90 only). Good if u can replaced the wooden 'airstone' with sander wood cos it produce finer bubbles.

As for LR, u can consider buying cured ones that are lighter and bigger size. I think u would save some for using such rocks in terms of weight and quantity. ;)

• SRC Member
Hi, currently I'm also setting up another same tank size as yours to keep a pair of true perc.

IMO, the overhead filter is also just as good except that there will be lots of salt spray.

I'm using 'AA' skimmer airdriven type($3.90 only). Good if u can replaced the wooden 'airstone' with sander wood cos it produce finer bubbles.

As for LR, u can consider buying cured ones that are lighter and bigger size. I think u would save some for using such rocks in terms of weight and quantity. ;)

Thanks a lot for replying... is those AA skimmer good enough?

• SRC Member

any places where I can get the sanders airwood? Looking for it to mod my skimmer... :D

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
Get uncured LRs lah since u will be going through the cycling process. Try look for the hang-on type of skimmer if not urs would be an accessories tank. :lol:

yeap.. i believe tt my tank will become an acessories tank if i put those skimmer pumps into it. wat type of hang on skimmers is suitable for my tank? and wat's the price range? any reccommendations? Thanks!

• SRC Member
why dont use go for weipo skimmer which is also cheap and better rather then those air driven skimmer...

also try go for 20 - 25kg of LR

what about sand size 0 u did not mention about it.. go for about 10kg to make a 3-4 inches deep sand bed...

oh weipro....

wat's the price range? and is it those hang outside one?...

yes i think i will go with o type sand....

• SRC Member

A pump in tank is much better than a skimmer in tank. pump can hide with rock but skimmer cannot.

Plus airstone skimmer in main tank will create lotsa micro-bubbles in the main tank. very unsightly and quite irritating. Plus the wood need to change at least once a month or it loose it efficiency.

For up to 75 gallons, 2011 is enough but bigger is better. price ranges from 45-50 for the 2011 withou pump to70-80 for the 2014. Pump will be another 20-25. But its a very good investment to make compared to the airstone skimmer. If buget is a problem, then go for a better airstone lie sanders or orca rather than the AA.

If yours is an empty tank without an IOS, u will have to put the pump in inside the tank itself and try to conceal as much as possible.... but be careful that your fish might get caught in it.... Anyway, i think your tank can have at most about 15kg of live rock, if now overflow liao... so dun buy too much... if you keep your livestock low, you should have no problem, but if too many livestock, your water parameters would be quite unstable.... :)

Vincent Ho

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
A pump in tank is much better than a skimmer in tank. pump can hide with rock but skimmer cannot.

Plus airstone skimmer in main tank will create lotsa micro-bubbles in the main tank. very unsightly and quite irritating. Plus the wood need to change at least once a month or it loose it efficiency.

For up to 75 gallons, 2011 is enough but bigger is better. price ranges from 45-50 for the 2011 withou pump to70-80 for the 2014. Pump will be another 20-25. But its a very good investment to make compared to the airstone skimmer. If buget is a problem, then go for a better airstone lie sanders or orca rather than the AA.

thanks for the reply...

u mean put the pump inside and place the pump power skimmer outside?

is AZOO TRI-SUPER SKIMMER good enough for my 2ft?....

it is sold at $30 ... is that price worth it?...

and can i place it outside of my tank?

thanks

• SRC Member
If yours is an empty tank without an IOS, u will have to put the pump in inside the tank itself and try to conceal as much as possible.... but be careful that your fish might get caught in it.... Anyway, i think your tank can have at most about 15kg of live rock, if now overflow liao... so dun buy too much... if you keep your livestock low, you should have no problem, but if too many livestock, your water parameters would be quite unstable.... :)

Vincent Ho

im planning to use a over head filter (sump type) is that ok?

hmm im not planning to put alot of live stock...less then 10 fishes...

yep i guess i dont really have alot of space for live rock too planning to buy 10 to 15....

thanks for the reply!!!!

• SRC Member
most lfs will have ..reborn selling $2.50 .....

most LFS will sell those china brands kind. I want the sanders ones. Supposed to be better.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/