How long does it take for 1 complete cycle in a new tank?

Hi, I am new to marine aquarium, just wondering how long does it take for 1 complete cycle in a new tank? Once it's completed does it mean that I'm able to add more fishes and coral reefs into the tank?

Cycle is around 4-6 weeks.. after cycle do wc change . Following that slowly stock up.. Don dump alot of livestock at once..

Means i wont be able to add any fishes or coral in before the cycling is complete?

Means i wont be able to add any fishes or coral in before the cycling is complete?
Yes, but to be sure you should test the parameter with at least 3(ammonia, nitrite & nitrate)test kits as not all cycling takes the same period of time.

Yes, but to be sure you should test the parameter with at least 3(ammonia, nitrite & nitrate)test kits as not all cycling takes the same period of time.

Alright thanks ! What if i add fishes and corals in during the cycling period? Will they die?

Alright thanks ! What if i add fishes and corals in during the cycling period? Will they die?

No guaranty.. ammonia&nitrite is stressful or toxic stage for fishes. If adding fishes this period basically gambling the livestock risk.

Please check your ANN parameters, follow below video as guideline.. Cheers..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

U can also consider dosing bacteria to speed up the cycling process.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, but how should I do it? Any recommendations on what type of dosing bacteria i should use and where can i find them in Singapore?

No guaranty.. ammonia&nitrite is stressful or toxic stage for fishes. If adding fishes this period basically gambling the livestock risk.

Please check your ANN parameters, follow below video as guideline.. Cheers..

Meanwhile while i'm cycling the water I'm able to add the sand in first right? and also must i add the salt in first? or must I wait till after the cycling process is done then add?

Sand, salt mix & liverocks to cycle together just no livestock. TS did U did a non-saltwater cycle?!

Erm not yet done any cycling yet. Am i required to do a non salt water cycle too? If so how am i suppose to do it?

Also better to add market prawn during cycle

so i just leave the prawns there till the whole cycle is over? or do i have to remove it after some time. if so, how long would it be?

Erm not yet done any cycling yet. Am i required to do a non salt water cycle too? If so how am i suppose to do it?

No. You are suppose to do cycling with everything except anything alive(e.g. Corals, Fish, Inverts). So it is better to get your salinity right during the cycle(reflectometer is a good investment in years to come).

Do your tank setup: add sand(w/o), water, salt, dead rocks and run your filtration system (I do not prefer to run my skimmer at this start point of time dead prawn makes the skimmer work faster but the cycling process slower).

Get 3 tests kits Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate. Get a piece of "market prawn" drop it into the tank & leave it inside. Measure your ammonia now should be 0 to near 0.

Leave the prawn for a few days 2-5 days when you notice it start to disintegrate. At this point of time measure your ammonia it should spike in compare to your last measurement taken at the initial stage when you just drop the prawn inside. You can now remove the prawn or just leave it there to "disappear".

Measure you nitrite it will be rather high at this point too. Ammonia-> becomes Nitrite-> Nitrate(Nitrification process done by bateria). Do measurement for all 3 parameters every other day till your Ammonia & Nitrite becomes 0 and your Nitrate is around 10ppm or less.(at this point if your Nitrate is still high do water changes). All your rocks & sand are now "alive ALIVE".

This is a tank cycling process if you do a search or google around you can find many information by seniors in the forum or other people in the www.

No. You are suppose to do cycling with everything except anything alive(e.g. Corals, Fish, Inverts). So it is better to get your salinity right during the cycle(reflectometer is a good investment in years to come).

Do your tank setup: add sand(w/o), water, salt, dead rocks and run your filtration system (I do not prefer to run my skimmer at this start point of time dead prawn makes the skimmer work faster but the cycling process slower).

Get 3 tests kits Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate. Get a piece of "market prawn" drop it into the tank & leave it inside. Measure your ammonia now should be 0 to near 0.

Leave the prawn for a few days 2-5 days when you notice it start to disintegrate. At this point of time measure your ammonia it should spike in compare to your last measurement taken at the initial stage when you just drop the prawn inside. You can now remove the prawn or just leave it there to "disappear".

Measure you nitrite it will be rather high at this point too. Ammonia-> becomes Nitrite-> Nitrate(Nitrification process done by bateria). Do measurement for all 3 parameters every other day till your Ammonia & Nitrite becomes 0 and your Nitrate is around 10ppm or less.(at this point if your Nitrate is still high do water changes). All your rocks & sand are now "alive ALIVE".

This is a tank cycling process if you do a search or google around you can find many information by seniors in the forum or other people in the www.

Thanks for the information given. May i know how do u add the salt into the tank for the first time and when doing water changes? Do you add pour the water in the tank first than add the salt. or u add the salt first into the water before u pour the water into the tank?

• SRC Member

Thanks for the information given. May i know how do u add the salt into the tank for the first time and when doing water changes? Do you add pour the water in the tank first than add the salt. or u add the salt first into the water before u pour the water into the tank?

i think first time either way is fine. just remember to use di or ro/di water. but water change after that is prepared in separate pail (ie: dont add salt directly into tank)

i think first time either way is fine. just remember to use di or ro/di water. but water change after that is prepared in separate pail (ie: dont add salt directly into tank)

What's ro/di water? i dont have either one of them.. so means i must get another big pail for w/c in the future?

• SRC Member

What's ro/di water? i dont have either one of them.. so means i must get another big pail for w/c in the future?

mmz not good at explaining haha. you can buy them from LFS such as irwana at $2 for 10l (i think). some people use distilled water which can be bought at ntuc etc (costly) or you can do your own by getting your own by purchasing the ro/di set or just get the di raisin from madpetz, put inside filter bag and leave it in high flow area + add carbon (which can also be bought at mad petz) put inside filter bag and leave in high flow area.

imho best way to learn is visit a reefer place for live education =p i realized i learned more from 1 such trip =) or even a la kopi session can useful. since long weekend coming you can try asking around. but than this maybe me as i suck at studying...so forum and website reading is kinda slower learning process for me.

Reverse Osmosis/ DeIonization therefore RO/DI is a water purification process. If lazy just buy NSW from irwana or ah beng & dump in the tank helps to cycle the tank faster too.

Reverse Osmosis/ DeIonization therefore RO/DI is a water purification process. If lazy just buy NSW from irwana or ah beng & dump in the tank helps to cycle the tank faster too.

Is it possible to just buy NSW and fill my new tank with it and begin putting livestock in? Cycling process is quite long, so im considering to skip it if possible.

Hey dreams, think there's too many things that u are still confused about.. Check out all the articles at the home page.. Things like FAQ for setting up new tank,imptance of life rock, beginner guide to corals, keeping ur tank cool on hot day, testing water parameters, especially Tank Cycling 101.. And if possible to to one of the local fish shop. LFS and shoot all the questions u have at the uncles and regulars there.they will be more than happy to help!

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

Is it possible to just buy NSW and fill my new tank with it and begin putting livestock in? Cycling process is quite long, so im considering to skip it if possible.

No you cannot skip this step what you can do is buy NSW & bateria culture to speed up the process.