cloudy water - please help

akina28

what salt did you use?

did you add water to salt or salt to water

hmmm i forget the brand of the salt already which i buy from the aunty in front of ah beng

and i add salt to water

btw my tank is already cycling and i didnt add anymore salt into it and funny thing is morning the water is cloudy by the time i reach home it is not cloudy and this morning is cloudy again

• SRC Member

hmmm i forget the brand of the salt already which i buy from the aunty in front of ah beng

and i add salt to water

btw my tank is already cycling and i didnt add anymore salt into it and funny thing is morning the water is cloudy by the time i reach home it is not cloudy and this morning is cloudy again

i believe its call ireef. i am using the same.

U wan to test the water to check?

• SRC Member

btw during cycling when using the skimmer is it normal for the skimmer to overflow?? cos when i on my skimmer it created so much bubble that the cup on top will be full and overflow in less than 10 min

the skimate is form type?

Skimmer is suppose to remove crap from the water. normally when a fish disappeared or died in my tank or if there is glue or or other stuff the skimmer will go crazy.

the skimate is form type?

Skimmer is suppose to remove crap from the water. normally when a fish disappeared or died in my tank or if there is glue or or other stuff the skimmer will go crazy.

hmmm it come out as a foam than into the cup it become water .. so i should say it is water .

so my market prawn is still inside and covered with mold... so it should the one causing my skimmer to go crazy right?

• SRC Member

hmmm it come out as a foam than into the cup it become water .. so i should say it is water .

so my market prawn is still inside and covered with mold... so it should the one causing my skimmer to go crazy right?

does the foam sticky type or watery type? basically wet or dry skimate. the water black or greenish brown? if the MP grow mouldy take it out la. i usually use MP shell.

• SRC Member

the level shd be just below the neck of the cup for dry skim. slightly above the bottom of the neck for wet.

Wet skimms faster but have to watch the cup. Mine overlflow once.

Wet skim the "water" is greenish brown.

Dry as mentioned try to skim as dry as it can which means the dirtiest of dirt foam will gather in the cup. U will get kopi O thick thick!

the level shd be just below the neck of the cup for dry skim. slightly above the bottom of the neck for wet.

Dry as mentioned try to skim as dry as it can which means the dirtiest of dirt foam will gather in the cup. U will get kopi O thick thick!

oh i have already tune it to the lowest i can go and the skimmer is working fine in my 1 ft nano but don know why it go crazy now

i adjust the water to the lowest which is half the height of the water body but still overflow =(

the rule of thumb...i try to follow for flow rate is 7 times the volumn in an hour flow..the word is try as pressure drop and stuff like dat. hence if ur flow require say is 3500l/hr and ur skimmer flow is 1200l/hr. do u think it will skim well?

hmmm don understand... hahahah i use sa2011 becos the aunty in front of ah beng shop de say its enough already so i no need to change cos my flow for the sa2011 is 1360l/hour :(

• SRC Member

hmmm don understand... hahahah i use sa2011 becos the aunty in front of ah beng shop de say its enough already so i no need to change cos my flow for the sa2011 is 1360l/hour :(

okok..simple language...if 7 times flow is the rate to "refresh" the water thru filteration. and ur skimmer which is one of the key filteration in ur system..do u think its enough?

means if u ur water gets clean 7 times in 1 hour...but ur filter can clean 2 times in an hour. means ur water is still dirty 5 times of 7...issit easier to understand? basically not enough to handle la.

Basically many ppl advocate oversize skimmer becoz the flow rate is bigger to create more "cleaning".

Another words. if u have 10kg of clothes to wash. u put in a 3kg washing machine. do u think the clothes are clean after 1 wash? U may need to wash the clothes 3 times over to get it clean...sumthing like dat...cun think of anymore layman then this

the cloudiness is probably due to your sand being stirred up by your wavemaker, please check that.

You tank water smells because of the ammonia from the market prawn, and please leave the dead prawn alone, it will decompose altogether by 2 weeks time.

you better start reading the forum (especially the stickies) and other website more to learn more about marine tank keeping.

unless u have been dosing bacteria, I doubt you will have any bacteria bloom to cause cloudy water. assuming this, your cycling should be completed in 3 - 4 weeks.

Leave your skimmer on, you may not get any dark skim mate due to no nutrients in your water column.

Please make sure the ANN cycle is completed, get some reliable test kits like Salifert brand. Test for NO2 (make sure this is zero) and NO3 (should be high > 20ppm), when this trend is noticed, your tank is fully cycled.

banner_9.aspx?id=kraken&t=8