Planning for a Simple Shallow Reef

infinityex

Hi guys and girls,

Let me introduce myself a little first.

I've been lurking this website on and off for a very long time, and have been keeping a humble small-time 2ft tank for quite a long while. Mostly zoas and RBTAs, simple stuff that doesn't die so easily. I've never done SPS. My setup has always been very simple with a DIY sump tank, some filter wool, t5s, a Hailea HC150a 1/10hp chiller, a Prizm skimmer and lots and lots of chaetomorpha hosting a lot of amphipods and copepods.

I had a mini 5 inch DSB in my sump tank made of a little glass tank full of fine volcanic sand that was never disturbed. Not sure if it worked. Water params - No idea! In the early days of reefing I was very eager to test for nitrates etc but after a while I stopped bothering. The chaeto has been growing quite happily though so I suppose it did something. Top-offs I used to buy bottled distilled water and then I got a DI unit and then I just started dumping tap water in when I was really too busy to bother.

Fish: My rbta has hosted a tomato clown, maroon clown and clark's clown over the years as they lived out their lives but recently no fish since my clark's clown died a few months back.

Whether it worked or not I have no idea, but the anemones, mushrooms and zoas have been surviving forever. Due to Life commitments, I have left my tank to grow algae for weeks and the stuff survived quite well although it was an eyesore.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/j65o.jpg/

Here's a little shot of my rbta when my tank was new and clean and not infested with algae as it is now :blush: Daren't post it.

Now, with more time on my hands, I'm planning for a new tank. Saw a lot of beautiful tanks in this thread and I hope to create one that is really pleasing and eyecatching. I have always felt that a reef tank is very pleasing on the eyes and soothing on the soul. Am hoping that all you gurus could give your comments on my plans because I haven't been keeping up with updates in the technology.

I've been reading up the forums and here's my ideas for the tank:

Main Concepts: The tank is to be a display in my balcony. I am aiming for a bare-bottom tank with an open spacious look. It is to be powered by LED to save electricity. I would like to venture into SPS actually and keep a selection of small reef-safe fish. Will definitely want clowns and dwarf angels. The tank I would like to make as automated as possible. Consistency and stability is very important in my book as this is a life-support system. Plus, I would like to be able to take holidays without worrying about the tank. I am a very lazy person, and the initial enthusiasm of doing maintenance chores for a tank can wane with time.

To be custom-made

Dimensions: Length 2.5ft, Width 2ft, Height maybe 16 inches? Thinking of going for a shallow reef for ease of maintenance. The width and length are dictated my the space I have available for the tank, can't really change those much. Crystal glass for viewing surfaces probably.

Sump: I was thinking of trying to incorporate a small little refugium for small corals and anemones like in LemonLemon's thread but am not sure if my limited tank length will allow for the space. I would definitely need somewhere to grow chaeto in though, I think it's a really fantastic and cheap nutrient export, plus a wonderful pod breeding ground. For filter socks, would I be able to put filter socks occasionally and just not use a filter sock if I don't want anything that can clog up?

Chiller: Reusing my Hailea 1/10HP HC150. It's rated for up to 400l so I don't think I'll be anywhere close to overshooting the limit.

Skimmer: Really no clue on in-sump skimmers. Probably a Skimz or something?

Lighting: As mentioned, LEDs maybe a MaxSpect Razor 160w? Or would I be able to get away with a 120w. The tank would get about 2-3h of natural sunlight in the morning which should give the corals a nice photosynthetic boost.

Rockwork: I was thinking of using dead rock but am not sure where to find them. Or getting live rock to bleach which might be a bit of a waste. Don't want to worry about nuisance pests at all as I would like full control over what goes into the tank. I intend to take some of my existing coralline rock and crush it to seed the rock in the tank, as well as seeding with various pods from my old tank..

Return pump: one of the Eheims? Not very sure.

Wavemaker: Have read good reviews about the Jebao WP25, maybe will look into those things.

Auto-Topoff: Was thinking of the JBJ or gemsurf auto topoffs.

Automatic Pellet Feeder: Well this will depend on the fish.

Reactors: I don't intend to go all out SPS for now but I'm also not keen on the idea of having to dose my tank like medicine. I am thinking of either going for a calcium reactor or a gemsurf dosing pump sort of thing. Not exactly very sure about how can I keep the equipment minimal. Do I really need fluidized reactors?

Magnet Cleaner: My old aquarium glass has been scratched over the years using magnet cleaners, but then again it was cheap glass. Wondering what's a good magnet on the market now that won't scratch crystal glass.

Well that's all I can think of for now. Please, do give me any suggestions or comments you have. I would be honored to benefit from your shared experience. Cheers! :thumbsup:

• SRC Member

Hi guys and girls,

Let me introduce myself a little first.

I've been lurking this website on and off for a very long time, and have been keeping a humble small-time 2ft tank for quite a long while. Mostly zoas and RBTAs, simple stuff that doesn't die so easily. I've never done SPS. My setup has always been very simple with a DIY sump tank, some filter wool, t5s, a Hailea HC150a 1/10hp chiller, a Prizm skimmer and lots and lots of chaetomorpha hosting a lot of amphipods and copepods.

I had a mini 5 inch DSB in my sump tank made of a little glass tank full of fine volcanic sand that was never disturbed. Not sure if it worked. Water params - No idea! In the early days of reefing I was very eager to test for nitrates etc but after a while I stopped bothering. The chaeto has been growing quite happily though so I suppose it did something. Top-offs I used to buy bottled distilled water and then I got a DI unit and then I just started dumping tap water in when I was really too busy to bother.

Fish: My rbta has hosted a tomato clown, maroon clown and clark's clown over the years as they lived out their lives but recently no fish since my clark's clown died a few months back.

Whether it worked or not I have no idea, but the anemones, mushrooms and zoas have been surviving forever. Due to Life commitments, I have left my tank to grow algae for weeks and the stuff survived quite well although it was an eyesore.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/j65o.jpg/

Here's a little shot of my rbta when my tank was new and clean and not infested with algae as it is now :blush: Daren't post it.

Now, with more time on my hands, I'm planning for a new tank. Saw a lot of beautiful tanks in this thread and I hope to create one that is really pleasing and eyecatching. I have always felt that a reef tank is very pleasing on the eyes and soothing on the soul. Am hoping that all you gurus could give your comments on my plans because I haven't been keeping up with updates in the technology.

I've been reading up the forums and here's my ideas for the tank:

Main Concepts: The tank is to be a display in my balcony. I am aiming for a bare-bottom tank with an open spacious look. It is to be powered by LED to save electricity. I would like to venture into SPS actually and keep a selection of small reef-safe fish. Will definitely want clowns and dwarf angels. The tank I would like to make as automated as possible. Consistency and stability is very important in my book as this is a life-support system. Plus, I would like to be able to take holidays without worrying about the tank. I am a very lazy person, and the initial enthusiasm of doing maintenance chores for a tank can wane with time.

To be custom-made

Dimensions: Length 2.5ft, Width 2ft, Height maybe 16 inches? Thinking of going for a shallow reef for ease of maintenance. The width and length are dictated my the space I have available for the tank, can't really change those much. Crystal glass for viewing surfaces probably. 16" sounds ok, but for that tank size, the tank would only look shallow if its 12" and below, but that would be pretty shallow.. maybe go for something 14"?

Sump: I was thinking of trying to incorporate a small little refugium for small corals and anemones like in LemonLemon's thread but am not sure if my limited tank length will allow for the space. I would definitely need somewhere to grow chaeto in though, I think it's a really fantastic and cheap nutrient export, plus a wonderful pod breeding ground. For filter socks, would I be able to put filter socks occasionally and just not use a filter sock if I don't want anything that can clog up?

Do a sump the same tank size as yours, in that way you can have most of the stuff you want. Yes filter socks can be used only when u disturb the tank, many reefers from US don't use filter sock or any kind of mechanical filtration

Chiller: Reusing my Hailea 1/10HP HC150. It's rated for up to 400l so I don't think I'll be anywhere close to overshooting the limit.

Skimmer: Really no clue on in-sump skimmers. Probably a Skimz or something?

If budget allows : Deltec for sure. which model im not sure but get something that is rated around 2 times your water volume.

If tbudget is tight : Bubble Magus skimmers are the most bang for the buck. you can get a curve 5 or cruve 7 which is good for your tank size.

Lighting: As mentioned, LEDs maybe a MaxSpect Razor 160w? Or would I be able to get away with a 120w. The tank would get about 2-3h of natural sunlight in the morning which should give the corals a nice photosynthetic boost.

with 2.5ft length, go for the Razor 160w 16k, you can keep sps even on the tank bottom with this light.

Rockwork: I was thinking of using dead rock but am not sure where to find them. Or getting live rock to bleach which might be a bit of a waste. Don't want to worry about nuisance pests at all as I would like full control over what goes into the tank. I intend to take some of my existing coralline rock and crush it to seed the rock in the tank, as well as seeding with various pods from my old tank..

Dead rocks can get from ah beng, but the shapes are usually bad. Alternatively can get rocks from reefers who decom, usually much much cheaper then LFS/Farm.

Return pump: one of the Eheims? Not very sure.

Eheims are probably the most reliable pumps. but recently DC pumps been making a hit.. low wattage + changable speed.

Wavemaker: Have read good reviews about the Jebao WP25, maybe will look into those things.

WP25 are the best cheap controllable wavemakers out there, but it may still be too strong for your tank, suggest u get a wp25 (set on W1 mode on S2 or S3 speed) and a cheaper sunsun 3000l/hr wavemaker to push dead corner.

Auto-Topoff: Was thinking of the JBJ or gemsurf auto topoffs.

Automatic Pellet Feeder: Well this will depend on the fish.

Reactors: I don't intend to go all out SPS for now but I'm also not keen on the idea of having to dose my tank like medicine. I am thinking of either going for a calcium reactor or a gemsurf dosing pump sort of thing. Not exactly very sure about how can I keep the equipment minimal. Do I really need fluidized reactors?

freactors are almost a must if you wanna try sps, get a TLF 150 and run rowaphos in it, Dosing pump from gemsurf (marine magic) is what i use and they will take care of your ca/kh/mg.. i've heard some stories of calcium reactor being really hard to tune into.

Magnet Cleaner: My old aquarium glass has been scratched over the years using magnet cleaners, but then again it was cheap glass. Wondering what's a good magnet on the market now that won't scratch crystal glass.

good, value for money and slim.. The flipper magnet cleaner.. get from gemsurf.

Well that's all I can think of for now. Please, do give me any suggestions or comments you have. I would be honored to benefit from your shared experience. Cheers! :thumbsup:

i hope those i answered can help you. Good luck!

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :