How many chromis?

Hi..I'm been in fresh water tank for quite sometimes and now hand itchy and started a saltwater tank (fowlr). I'm starting off with 20 gallon tank and now its been 1 week cycling and progress is looking good. I will give it another 2 to 3 weeks of cycling or worst case scenario 1 mth before putting any LS. I intend to have only chromis and cleaning crew.

So the question is, how many chromis and cleaning crew can I put in this tank? I know I can't have much in this tank and I can't put all together at the same time but just to know the limits so I can do proper planing.

Any sifus here can help guide me?

• SRC Member

So having chromis is not a good idea after all in 20g tank..any suggestion what i can put in?

clown, goby, juvenile tangs(must change tank when grow big), nearly all types of crustaceans, blenny(lawnmower is the cutest :D), canary wrasse etc. Must just be small and do some research before you buy. Usually I go lfs, ask uncle what the name of the fish is, take phone and google about the fish on live aquaria to see if can put in tank

clown, goby, juvenile tangs(must change tank when grow big), nearly all types of crustaceans, blenny(lawnmower is the cutest :D), canary wrasse etc. Must just be small and do some research before you buy. Usually I go lfs, ask uncle what the name of the fish is, take phone and google about the fish on live aquaria to see if can put in tank

Hey thanks man for the input...will google them...what would you suggest for cleaning crew

• SRC Member

I really like hermit crabs but they tend to need new shells after a whole, so you have to give around 4 shell sizes for the crab. Otherwise nausaurius snails would be good for detritus on the sand, and starfish once your tank has matured(v. Sensitive. I have had no success with them). Maybe emerald crabs work too but they break of tiny bits of rock, and in my tank they have caused the rocks to look patchy and uneven, so I wouldn't recommend. Turbo snails work too, but they are prey to many fish so I avoid them too. If you dislike coralline then you could add urchins, because they completely clean the rocks very completely(they leave a trail of white on the rocks where they go). Hope this helped!

I would suggest 2 clownfish. Try not to put in yellow tail damselfish and dottyback. I tried putting in a dottyback in my tank and it is very aggressive. The dottyback guards its cave and no fish can go near it. It will nip at the tail of other fishes. The yellow tail damsel fish is super fast and is not easy to catch if you want to remove it unless you use a trap or remove all your LR. I would say the yellow tail damselfish is semi-aggressive.

Tank: 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft, 12mm

Sump: 3ft

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Lightings: Maxspect 15000k

Return Pump: Eheim 1252

Wavemaker: Jebao WP25, Jebao RW-8

Zero damsel & zero dottyback in my experience both are not very good comm fish once they grow big. Why not add the Helfrichi or Purple dartfish they add more colour to your tank.
Yes, purple dart fish is great but you'll have to add a school of them at 1 go else they'll start fighting. Also make sure you have lotsa crevices in your LR - they'll hide there in the night.

• SRC Member

20g maybe clownfish also can, as long as not maroons, clarkis or other aggressive breeds. Damsel a blue damselfish would be nice. I have a blue damsel and a blue velvet damsel and both don't seem to be attacking each other, but it's probably my luck haha :P

20g maybe clownfish also can, as long as not maroons, clarkis or other aggressive breeds. Damsel a blue damselfish would be nice. I have a blue damsel and a blue velvet damsel and both don't seem to be attacking each other, but it's probably my luck haha :P
I dare not buy anymore Damsels after my disaster with Zebra Damsels...

• SRC Member

I dare not buy anymore Damsels after my disaster with Zebra Damsels...

Zebra damsels are naturally more aggressive. Blue damsels in my experience very passive fish. Will only defend itself, but won't attack. Velvet blue is a bit aggressive though. But it all boils down to personality lah. If you buy aggressive fish then you have bad luck haha. Best if buy from reefers here. They will know the fish personality

Zebra damsels are naturally more aggressive. Blue damsels in my experience very passive fish. Will only defend itself, but won't attack. Velvet blue is a bit aggressive though. But it all boils down to personality lah. If you buy aggressive fish then you have bad luck haha. Best if buy from reefers here. They will know the fish personality
No offence to anyone but I see some reefers here charging an arm and a leg... So I'll take my chances at LFSes... Just have to read up on the species before making a purchase.

• SRC Member

No offence to anyone but I see some reefers here charging an arm and a leg... So I'll take my chances at LFSes... Just have to read up on the species before making a purchase.

sometimes it's better if you really really want the fish, cos there is a much higher chance of survival. Usually lfs get from recent shipment so no guarantee for survival, especially for beginners. Higher chance of death from lfs than from reefers IMHO

Zero damsel & zero dottyback in my experience both are not very good comm fish once they grow big. Why not add the Helfrichi or Purple dartfish they add more colour to your tank.

Wow...beautiful fishes you recommended :groupwavereversed: Thanks :thumbsup: . I will do a read up on Helfrichi & Purple dartfish..I've no idea about them :blink: I must know them first before place them in my tank :rolleyes: .

Ok...question..

So how you'll go to CF? Have to make appointment? Or only special guests are allowed to enter?

First time I went there one Sunday morning with my family.. and then this aunty told me this place is not open for public and she said this is a business place..then I blur and go away.

I also felt funny the first time I was there b'coz I never see any visitors. But the Aunty never tell me it's not open to public but told me they are open everyday including PH. She also told me to look around and let her know if I needed anything leh. So I go there quite often and never got booted out but I never go on a Sunday before. Maybe the lady in the office not working so cannot pay for your purchase?